Sign in to follow this  
Beowolff

WOV newbie question about bobbing

hey, guys. i'm an old hand at flight sims but real new to Wings Over Vietnam. i have the latest patch and am experiencing something that i think is odd with the planes. its a funky "nose bobbing" sort of thing. best i can describe it is that the planes all seem to have a rod stuck through their sides or top... both actually, and when you move the stick up or down (especially up and down but somewhat from side to side too) the plane seems to "bob" ---much like a counter-balanced pendulum. i really notice it moving the stick forwards or backwards, but there is some of that swinging also when moving the stick side to side.

now to me, this really makes good targeting difficult... sure, do-able, but difficult. i've never experienced anything like that bobbing in any sim before... with the exception (in a limited way) in the Janes WW2 Fighter sim...but Jane's was pure head bobbing... not the actual nose of the aircraft that i see in this case. IL2 and or one of its patches, also had a bobbing motion JUST AS you targeted your enemy, but that was fixed with one of the later patches. in WOV it seems to be ALL the time. it takes VERY careful control on the stick to prevent it and even then the smallest push forward or pull backwards starts a pendulum swing up and down.... gaaaa!

i'm NOT bitching about the game...so don't get me wrong. heck, so far i'm loving it! and especially the wonderful thirdparty addons! wow! but am just wondering if this is the way the flight model is setup in the game (in which case i'll have to live with it) or if it is something broken in the patch (or at least in MY version of it) or if perhaps there is a way to fix it...

any information on this duly appreciated.

thanks,

Beowolff

Is this just at extremes of envelope (e.g. hard turns in either vertical or horizontal planes) or even in relatively level flight?

There were quite a few fm changes in the last patch, 1 of which appears to be limiting what you can pull & you can get a sort of elevator fluttering effect.

It's been reported.

If it's in relatively level flight :dntknw:

I'm guessing by the old hand statement that you are using the hard fm setting?

thanks for the reply. yeppers... i'm using the hard fm setting. and after reading your post, went back into the game to confirm that and also to test on the other settings. ---and that's it. when the game originally installed, it must have installed to the easy (seems like i had to change EVERYTHING from easy to hard) but then right after i changed it all to hard, i updated with the patch and wasn't able to fly for a couple of days.

after your post reply and my testing, i see that it is the hard fm setting causing the bobbing motion. it does not do that in the easy one, or if it does, its so slight as to not be noticeable. okay, which brings up this question... should i be flying on the easy setting or the hard?

i mean on the one hand, i'm an experienced sim pilot that's flown everything from bi-wing Sopwiths to F-22s.... so the easy setting seems (or at least sounds) arcadish or newbie-ish to me... but, then at the same time, i really hate that pesky NOSE BOBBING too... that's in the hard setting. as i mentioned, Janes WW2 fighters had the excessive head bobbing and i never liked that sim as much as i wanted to because of that... in this case, its not just head bobbing but the entire nose of the aircraft...which i really don't like. ga!

what's everyone else flying on? for now, to stop the bobbing and get used to the sim, i guess i'll stick to the easy setting... and leave everything else on hard. but i'd like to hear everyone else's opinion on this too.

thanks,

Beowolff

You could always try Normal rather than Easy .... :spiteful:

Just to confirm then that it isn't bobbing in normal flight but whilst pulling hard turns?

hey, guys.  i'm an old hand at flight sims but real new to Wings Over Vietnam.  i have the latest patch and am experiencing something that i think is odd with the planes.  its a funky "nose bobbing" sort of thing.  best i can describe it is that the planes all seem to have a rod stuck through their sides or top...  both actually, and when you move the stick up or down (especially up and down but somewhat from side to side too) the plane seems to "bob" ---much like a counter-balanced pendulum.  i really notice it moving the stick forwards or backwards, but there is some of that swinging also when moving the stick side to side.

now to me, this really makes good targeting difficult...  sure, do-able, but difficult.  i've never experienced anything like that bobbing in any sim before...  with the exception (in a limited way) in the Janes WW2 Fighter sim...but Jane's was pure head bobbing...  not the actual nose of the aircraft that i see in this case.  IL2 and or one of its patches, also had a bobbing motion JUST AS you targeted your enemy, but that was fixed with one of the later patches.  in WOV it seems to be ALL the time.  it takes VERY careful control on the stick to prevent it and even then the smallest push forward or pull backwards starts a pendulum swing up and down....  gaaaa!

i'm NOT bitching about the game...so don't get me wrong.  heck, so far i'm loving it!  and especially the wonderful thirdparty addons!  wow!  but am just wondering if this is the way the flight model is setup in the game (in which case i'll have to live with it) or if it is something broken in the patch (or at least in MY version of it) or if perhaps there is a way to fix it...

any information on this duly appreciated.

thanks,

Beowolff

You could try a minor edit in the controls folder.[Note-This is for Strike Fighters Project 1 but it might work for WOV] I didn't like the ratio of pitch versus roll imputs so I did some experimenting. Look in the controls folder [i don't remember if I extracted the file or if it was just there] and look at the default data. If you scroll down you will find a section called [RangedControl001] Underneath it should say AxisControl=PITCH_CONTROL. Below that are a max value and a min value. Try changing them to 500.000000 and -500.000000 from the default +\- 1000.000000 I did this and it makes pitch control much easier with a lot less bobbing around. You can still adjust dead zone and response in game using the slider controls.

Hope that works for you, Regards, Baffmeister.

Edited by baffmeister