hrc

Russians jamming Syrian sky

System that is apparentely used to jam AWACS and even radio electronic devices of low orbiting satelites is now deployed in Latakia region of Syria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasukha_EW_System

http://gadgtecs.com/2015/10/09/spy-planes-signal-jammers-high-tech-weapons-syria/

It was also used (or it's smaler equivalent) to jam the radars of USS Donald Cook in the Black Sea last year even according to Pentagon sources:

“The US destroyer USS Donald Cook, equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles entered the neutral waters of the Black Sea on April 10, 2014. The purpose was a demonstration of force and intimidation in connection with the position of Russia in Ukraine and Crimea. The appearance of American warships in these waters is in contradiction of the Montreux Convention about the nature and duration of stay in the Black Sea by the military ships of countries not washed by this sea. In response, Russia sent an unarmed bomber Su- 24 to fly around the U.S. destroyer. However, experts say that this plane was equipped with the latest Russian electronic warfare complex. According to this version, Aegis spotted from afar the approaching aircraft, and sounded alarm. Everything went normally, and the American radars calculated the speed of the approaching target. But suddenly all the screens went blank. Aegis was not working any more, and the rockets could not get target information. Meanwhile, Su-24 flew over the deck of the destroyer, did battle turn and simulated a missile attack on the target. Then it turned and repeated the maneuver. And did so 12 times.”

Edited by hrc

It amuses me how there's essentially no mainstream media reporting on what is swiftly becoming a proxy war between NATO and the CIS in Syria.

It amuses me how there's essentially no mainstream media reporting on what is swiftly becoming a proxy war between NATO and the CIS in Syria.

I have to agree, it seems like what is happening in Syria is a usual fight, but it isn't at all. Turkey fights the Kurds but not ISIS, Turkey is in the NATO that bombs ISIS and supports the Kurds, Russia bombs ISIS but also the Free Syrian Army fighting Assad... Man, what a mess.

Edited by blaze95

I have to agree, it seems like what is happening in Syria is a usual fight, but it isn't at all. Turkey fights the Kurds but not ISIS, Turkey is in the NATO that bombs ISIS and supports the Kurds, Russia bombs ISIS but also the Free Syrian Army fighting Assad... Man, what a mess.

I think the Russians are primarily targeting the "rebels" in Syria, who incidentally have been known to engage ISIS when the "opportunity" comes round.  It is, in military terminology, one great big clusterf#*@.

System that is apparentely used to jam AWACS and even radio electronic devices of low orbiting satelites is now deployed in Latakia region of Syria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasukha_EW_System

http://gadgtecs.com/2015/10/09/spy-planes-signal-jammers-high-tech-weapons-syria/

It was also used (or it's smaler equivalent) to jam the radars of USS Donald Cook in the Black Sea last year even according to Pentagon sources:

“The US destroyer USS Donald Cook, equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles entered the neutral waters of the Black Sea on April 10, 2014. The purpose was a demonstration of force and intimidation in connection with the position of Russia in Ukraine and Crimea. The appearance of American warships in these waters is in contradiction of the Montreux Convention about the nature and duration of stay in the Black Sea by the military ships of countries not washed by this sea. In response, Russia sent an unarmed bomber Su- 24 to fly around the U.S. destroyer. However, experts say that this plane was equipped with the latest Russian electronic warfare complex. According to this version, Aegis spotted from afar the approaching aircraft, and sounded alarm. Everything went normally, and the American radars calculated the speed of the approaching target. But suddenly all the screens went blank. Aegis was not working any more, and the rockets could not get target information. Meanwhile, Su-24 flew over the deck of the destroyer, did battle turn and simulated a missile attack on the target. Then it turned and repeated the maneuver. And did so 12 times.”

Yeah, that's not how it works.....

• Like 1

I guess it's not a jammer... Rather than a targeted HF EMP weapon "illuminating" a target.  In that case blank screen is "legal"... but then it would be permanent. Well. It's but not my expertise..

The real war is going on in Europe, while we look at Syria.

EDIT:

My technician says,

"electro magnetic waves, the higher frequency they are, the more they behave like light (actually light is electromagnetic wave) - so they can be  emitted in a straight line like a flashlight"

"That makes sence since the plane did "strafing runs" on the ship"

Edited by Snailman

Yeah, that's not how it works.....

Jammed electronics should appear as a mess in the screen, right?

The rest of the text is more interesting, as they added that 27 sailors were so disgusted that they immediatly resigned and left for Bulgaria (if I had to flee US, Bulagria would obviously be the first country I would love to live in, much before Germany :) ) ....

So it is highly likely that this is a hoax, please check that so called "pentagone source"

As a further indication, the main french site reporting this story is "Voltaire" :

http://www.voltairenet.org/article185324.html

Those guys still say that no plane crashed on the Pentagon in sept 2001

Also, here is the genuine Reuter new :

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/14/usa-russia-blacksea-idUSL2N0N60V520140414

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 2

Ah the media, its reliable when it on your side. :lol:

• Like 1

The jammer system Красуха ist much to big to be carried on a plane like the Su-24. It is placed on big trucks. You could put it in an IL-76 or an AN-124, but not on the Su-24.

Красуха is used for noise jamming of airborne radar systems to cover own activities in the protected area. It is intendet, that AWACS  can observe the flight activities on Latakia Air Base.

To the Donald Cook thing i would say, dont believe all what RussiaToday is broadcasting. If an noise jammer is active, then a radar screen does not become black. In contrary. Parts of the radar screen become very shining light.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

I did't say that the story is true. I just mentioned it cause it is interesting. At the end of the day, modern anti-aircraft and anti radiation missiles have the ability to "home on jam", so there is no impenetrable jammin device...

Let us tell the problem another way :

In terms of electronic warfare, the more data you can collect on a system, the easier it will be to analyse how it works, and eventually jam (or counter) it.

Viewed from the opposite side, you must avoid to use your EW system too often.

For instance, during exercises such as Red Flag or others, most EW systems work under "specific conditions" so that nobody can collect significant information on them.

So trying to jam "just for fun" a Destroyer is not the most clever thing to do as the EW officier of the ship will certainly record the signals and you can be sure that those records will be carefully analyzed with care and exploited with love.

At least in the early 90's, tempting the other side to make "full use" of their system was a great ELINT game !!!

I did't say that the story is true. I just mentioned it cause it is interesting. At the end of the day, modern anti-aircraft and anti radiation missiles have the ability to "home on jam", so there is no impenetrable jammin device...

I don't think that ARM are very much used nowadays, modern doctrines consist in obtaining the coordinates of the target by other means and send "there" all kind of bombs ... Edited by jeanba
  • Like 1

doesn't sound good at all and I hope it's a hoax..

doesn't sound good at all and I hope it's a hoax..

No need to be worried. Unless somebody wants to bomb Russian in Syria...

In Soviet Russia, you jam ECM.....

• Like 1