Sign in to follow this  
Fates

New Computer

After readin gwhat's been goin on with the "Flight of the Old Dog" Thread....decided to post my new wish list. I already have a few components on the way...and will wait on a few more till after the DUAL-CORE AMDs'are releasd...

Antec TX1088AMG Computer case is a SOHO ATX Mid-Tower Case. With Front IEEE 1394, USB2.0, Audio in/out, & AnNtec TruePower 2.0 480W power supply.

AMD64 4000?

ASUS AV8-E

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)

ATI - Radeon X850XT Platinum, ATi (Original) RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express VIVO/ Dual DVI

Thermalright XP-120 HSF

Pioneer DVR-109 DVD Burner

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA II hard drive, 300GB, 16MB Buffer, 7200 RPM.

All things subject to change.....like I'm not sure the Mobo supports SATA II at this time...someI'll address that. Also prices will vary as I'm ready to buy and I may buy something up or down. But this is what I'm planning to build over the next 4 months. I've been needing a new machine for over 3 years now. can't wait to play some FarCry2 on a new machine.....besides...I think my son is ready for his own computer.

Let me know if I should think about other mobos/cpus/vid cards/ etc...

<C>

Fates

I take it that you mean ASUS A8V-E.

Current rev. of the K8T890 chipset doesn't support x2 processors due to a hardware problem so can't be fixed with a new BIOS but needs a new Rev. of the chipset.

nForce4 boards are slightly faster (1-2%) anyway unless you have an aversion to nForce chipsets & we still have to see how the ATI chipset does in production form too.

That board doesn't support SATAII features (tbh with only 2 SATA ports NCQ probably wouldn't see much improvement & the drives won't hit 1.50 Gb/s let alone 3.00)) & you might want to check that the XP120 fits - some of those caps/toroids look like they may get in the way (changed config from A8V Deluxe).

Sounds like a great system there, Fates. I'd have to agree with BUFF, the nForce4 boards have won this round as the best board, IMO. I like the ActiveArmor, myself. I've got an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum in my comp, and I love it. I strongly suggest the Neo4's. I don't think you'd have a problem fitting a XP-120 on them, either.

Another Member in TeamODB just went with the A8V-E and AMD 64 4000 with XP-120 HSF. It does fit well on the CPU and in the case. There is a 4" gap between it and the 92mm exhaust port on the side of the case and a simple duct solves that problem.....makes it VERY efficient.

I'll have to look into the Nvidia chipsets as well. I know the MSI boards are Awesome but I've been an ASUS fan for some time...well see where that goes.

As for the Xp2 CPU's....well...I'm guessing that they will be around a $1000 when they are on the market. Can't afford that...and I'm not gonna think about a $180 MObo revolving around it. I'll stick with the AMD 64 4000 or FX53(5) or something that the mobo can handle for now. I read that the FX vs 4000 chips are very close to performance.

Thanks

Fates

just thought that "and will wait on a few more till after the DUAL-CORE AMDs'are releasd." sounded like you were planning on going x2 so I thought that I would point out the potential future problem.

nope...waiting for Dual-Core release to drop pricing on FX series...lol

To sit back and watch a CPU go from $800 bucks to $300 in 3 months is ludicris. the performance gains simply are not there to warrant me having the BEST DAMN THING RELEASED. Lets just wait a few weeks and save $500 over 1/2% of performance gain....LOL

nope...waiting for Dual-Core release to drop pricing on FX series...lol

To sit back and watch a CPU go from $800 bucks to $300 in 3 months is ludicris. 

Don't think that that is going to happen though.

As it stands the vast majority of desktop users won't see any difference in going to x2 - until more apps support & can use multiple cpus/cores it's a large niche market of scientific organisations etc. that will benefit.

" Lets just wait a few weeks and save $500 over 1/2% of performance gain....LOL"

or buy cheaper & overclock ;)

Yeah...from what I understand the X2 is mostly for the hardcore multitasker. When it comes to performance and running a single app like game.... no benifit at alll... this chip is for the servers and cinema and many other avenues...not gamers.

Fates

Remember the A64 4000 is just the FX-53 renamed. The FX-55 will likely be renamed the 4200 or something when the FX-57 comes out, too.

There's no real difference between FX and 64s--the FX is just the fastest 64 available.

For price reasons, I'm going to go with a 3700, but it will be the Venice-core 939-pin. I think there are like 3 other 3700 models. :blink:

I figure with the OC abilities of these chips, I should be able to clock it up to 4000 speeds with little effort, but the cache size is fixed. So everyone remember, go for the 1MB L2 cache! ;)

The Jedi Master

There's no real difference between FX and 64s--the FX is just the fastest 64 available.

Only real difference is the totally unlocked multi but you really don't need more than 10x on a decent system.

For price reasons, I'm going to go with a 3700, but it will be the Venice-core 939-pin. I think there are like 3 other 3700 models.  :blink:

I figure with the OC abilities of these chips, I should be able to clock it up to 4000 speeds with little effort, but the cache size is fixed. So everyone remember, go for the 1MB L2 cache!  ;)

939 3700 with 1Mb cache is a San Diego! :this:

besides...I think my son is ready for his own computer.

One of the best reasons to......