KJakker

Some photos from my Battle of the Bulge trip December 10-18, 2015.

DSC100 0286

One of the liberation markers that count every kilometer of the Allied advance from Normandy to ether Bastogne or the German boarder, I cant remember which.   

DSC100 0695

Me in front of what I believe is a Long Tom howitzer. 

DSC100 0719

The Bastogne War Museum.

DSC100 0731

The Mardasson Memorial commemorating the liberation of Belgium by United State troops and the Battle of the Bulge.   

DSC100 0788

One of the fox holes of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

DSC100 0800

A shell crater in Easy Company's position.

DSC100 0807

The town of Foy, Belgium. This photo was taken less than seventy yards from the location of the two photos above.

DSC100 0863

A Belgian Police officer in Bastogne.

DSC100 0931

Inside the Bastogne War Museum.

DSC100 0939

DSC101 0017

DSC101 0020

DSC101 0180

A World War II reenactment.

DSC101 0574

Me with some World War II reenactors.

DSC101 0920

82ed Airborne Memorial.

DSC101 0940

7th Armored Division Tank.

DSC101 0988

DSC101 0995

Memorial located on the site where eleven African-American US Army soldiers were executed by the SS.

DSC102 0009

Part of the Siegfried Line.

DSC102 0049

A US 1st Infantry Division memorial.

DSC102 0057

The site of the Malmedy Massacre.

DSC102 0084

Part of the Malmedy Massacre Memorial.

DSC102 0128

Me in front of a King Tiger tank.

DSC102 0149

The Belgian Countryside.

DSC102 0181

A Plaque at Parker's Crossroad.

DSC102 0189

Parker's Crossroad.

DSC102 0194

A Panther Tank.

DSC102 0220

The first of two castles we toured.

DSC102 0569

A room inside the castle.

DSC102 0877

A view from the second castle.

DSC103 0055

Outside the second castle as we were leaving.

DSC103 0062

The front gate of Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial.

DSC103 0086

The grave of an Unknown Soldier.

DSC103 0087

Headstones in Luxembourg American Cemetery.

DSC103 0088

This picture speaks for itself.

DSC103 0092

The grave of a member of my grandfathers regiment.

DSC103 0105

From the back of Luxembourg American Cemetery looking toward the Memorial chapel.

DSC103 0119

National Museum of Military History, Luxembourg.

DSC103 0178

DSC103 0247

DSC103 0249

DSC103 0295

DSC103 0440

DSC103 0493

DSC103 0574

Chaff and Window displayed in the museum.

DSC103 0590

A 155mm artillery piece outside the museum.

DSC103 0603

War damage on the museum's outside wall.

DSC103 0809

Statue of Charlotte, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg(Reign 1919-1964) in the city of Luxembourg.

DSC103 0830

Photos taken in the city of Luxembourg.

DSC103 0870

DSC103 0923

DSC104 0001

DSC104 0004

DSC104 0008

DSC104 0016

DSC104 0047

DSC104 0077

At Terminal 2, Frankfurt International Airport.

DSC104 0082

In flight over Germany.

DSC104 0089

DSC104 0094

Another aircraft in sight while flying over Germany.

Edited by KJakker
  • Like 6

seems like you had a nice trip.. :)

Cheers!

ok from all the photos i want to point out one.....CHOCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ( looks you had a very good time , i wish you to spend all your time having fun like this :)  )

Interesting stuff,thanks for sharing it with us.

One of these days I will go there. Thank you for showing us those pictures.

Such an amazing place. Your photos bring back so many memories from my visits there. My last, being on the 60th Anniversary of the Bulge. Congrats on your successful trip.

-Jeff

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By KJakker
      When I was at the Selfridge ANG base airshow a couple of months back I took some close up photos of some pods on an F-15E. I thought some of our modders might be interested in them.
      F-15E Target Pod Photos.7z
    • By Erik
      WW2 interesting photos and facts

The first American serviceman killed in the war was Captain Robert M. Losey. He was serving as a military attache and was killed in Norway on April 21, 1940 when German aircraft bombed the Dombs railway station where he and others were awaiting transport.

The first German soldier killed in World War II was Lieutenant von Schmeling, who was a military advisor to the Nationalist Chinese (China had been at war with Japan since 1931). He was killed while leading a Chinese infantry Battalion of the 88th Division of Shanghai in 1937.

Suicide Submarines

Japan employed multiple types of suicide attacks during the war, including suicide submarines called Kaiten ("the turn toward heaven"). Approximately 100 of these were used, the most famous of which was used in the sinking of the USS Underhill.

Finnish snipers were some of the deadliest in the world. During the Winter War (November 1939 - March 1940), the Soviet Union invaded Finland hoping to gain Finnish territory and create a buffer zone for Leningrad. Because of the inexperience of Soviet troops and the incredible effectiveness of Finnish snipers, the USSR lost 40 men to every Finn that was killed.

Massive Submarines

In 2005, dive researchers from the University of Hawaii discovered the remains of a massive Japanese submarine, I-401. This behemoth was basically an underwater aircraft carrier and was built to bomb the Panama Canal-it carried three folded up bombers inside its watertight hangar. The huge submarine could sail 37,000 miles, or one and a half times around the world. Three of these subs were captured at the end of the war. They measured 400 feet long and 39 feet high, and could carry a crew of 144 men.

According to the AAF Statistical Digest, the U.S. Army Air Forces lost 14,903 pilots and crew in the United States. These men died as a result of more than 50,000 accidents during the course of the war. Another 1,000 planes disappeared en route from the U.S. to foreign countries.

Air losses were so staggering during 1942-43 that it was statistically impossible for bomber crews to complete a 25-mission tour in Europe.

More than 41,000 American servicemen were captured during the war. Of the 5,400 captured by the Japanese, half died. About 10% of those captured by Germans died.

The youngest U.S. serviceman was just 12 years old. Calvin Graham lied about his age to get into the service and was later wounded at the Battle of Guadalcanal. He was given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age, though his benefits were later restored by act of Congress.

Some baffling bits of irony: 1. The insignia of the U.S. Army's 45th Infantry division was the swastika (the 45th was part of the Oklahoma Army National Guard and the swastika was a tribute to the large Native American population in the southwest) 2. Hitler's private train at the start of the war was named "Amerika" 3. At the time Pearl Harbor was attacked, the top U.S. Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced "sink us")

793 German U-boats were lost in World War II. Of the nearly 40,000 men onboard those subs, 75% died at sea.

More men died in the U.S. Air Corps than the U.S. Marine Corps. It is estimated that while completing your required 30 air missions, your odds of being killed were 71%. And fact #30 about U.S. troops is even more sobering.

The power grid in Germany was more vulnerable than the Allies realized during the war. Some experts speculate that if Allied bombers had dropped just 1% of their bombs on power plants instead of industrial factories and targets, the whole of Germany's infrastructure likely would have collapsed.

There was really no such thing as an average fighter pilot-you were either an ace or machine gun fodder. One of Japan's top fighter pilots, Hiroyoshi Nishizawa, shot down over 80 planes during the war but died while a passenger on a cargo plane. One of Germany's top aces, Oberst Werner Moders, died as a passenger on a plane that crashed.

In their guns, fighter planes loaded every fifth round with a glowing tracer to help them aim correctly. This turned out to be a big mistake, since tracers took a different flight path than regular bullets-if your tracers were hitting their target, odds are 80% of your regular rounds were missing.

To make things worse, including tracer rounds immediately told your enemy he was under attack, and it let him know which direction you were coming from.

Perhaps worst of all, pilots would load a string of tracer rounds at the end of ammunition belt to let them know when they'd run out of ammo. Unfortunately, this also let the enemy know they were out of ammunition. It is said that pilots who stopped using tracers saw their hit rates nearly double and suffered less casualties.

Russian pilots destroyed hundreds of German aircraft by ramming them in midair. A few famous Russian pilots were able to eject after ramming enemy planes and survived to fight in future battles. Germany also began using aerial ramming near the end of the war.

Because of its massive number of troop transports, the U.S. Army actually had more ships than the U.S. Navy.

When the U.S. Army landed in North Africa, they brought along more than troops and equipment: they also set up three complete Coca-Cola bottling plants to keep troops well supplied.

Korean Soldiers

Some of the first Germans captured during the invasion of Normandy weren't German at all, they were Korean. These soldiers had been forced to fight for the Japanese army until they were captured by the Russians, who forced them to fight for the Russian army. They were later captured by the Germans and forced to fight as German troops.

Germany officially declared war on just one nation in World War II: The United States of America.

The Dachau concentration camp first opened in 1933, six years before the start of World War II. The Dachau camp system grew to include nearly 100 sub-camps.

20% of Poland's population died during World War II, the highest percentage of any nation.

Japan occupied U.S. territory for more than a year, invading and holding two islands in the Aleutian Island chain, which is part of Alaska. Nearly 1,500 American troops were killed in 13 months of fighting to retake the islands.

Polish Catholic midwife Stanislawa Leszczynska delivered 3,000 babies at the Auschwitz concentration camp during the Holocaust in occupied Poland.

Only 20% of the males born in the Soviet Union in 1923 survived the war.

Adolf Hitler's nephew, William Hitler, served in the U.S. Navy during World War II

No Surrender

Hiroo Onoda, an Imperial Japanese Army intelligence officer who fought in World War II, held his position in the Philippines and refused to surrender until 1974. His former commander traveled from Japan to personally issue orders relieving him from duty.

More than 16,000,000 American troops served in World War II. Of these, 405,000 were killed during the war.

Ladies of the Hitler Era

One shudders to think what happened to them in 1945.

Total casualties for World War II are estimated between 50 and 70 million people. 80% of those came from just four countries: Russia, China, Germany, and Poland.

"A Free People Ought Not Only Be armed And Disciplined, But They Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Would Include Their Own Government.

- George Washington
    • By KJakker
      Just thought I would share the first snow of 2016 to fall at my house. The bulk of it fell over the last eight hours or so.

• By KJakker
      Here is the link to the gallery of pictures I took aboard the USS North Carolina Battleship Museum on 6/19/2014.

https://imgur.com/a/WCpNU#0
    • By KJakker
      I am going to be visiting the USS North Carolina museum this week and I fly out tomorrow afternoon. 

Do any of our WWII modders have any request on any part of the ship or object aboard that they would liked photographed?

I probably will not be able to log in to CombatAce while I am away but I should still be able to check the site. I will probably be visiting the ship Thursday so you have about 24-hours to make any request.

No promises I will get what you want, but I figured I should offer.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..