Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Initial Setup and Mod Guide and Editing Notes

http://mail.4thfightergroup.com/wov/wov_sfp1_setup.htm

Wings over Vietnam & Strike Fighters Project 1

Initial Setup and Mod Guide

Notes: By a WOV newb for WOV newbs. This guide is neither meant to be complete, nor guaranteed to be accurate. It is just an effort to assist others in getting up to speed as quickly as possible in these two excellent combat flight simulations from Third Wire. The suggestions are based on my limited experiences, and do not purport to be the last word. All linked files are the respective property of their authors. All rights reserved. If you are the author of a linked file, and wish that it is not linked in this guide, simply e-mail me and I will remove it immediately. This guide is being developed as a community service and no compensation of any kind has been collected. I hope that you find it helpful. I will update it as I have time. Special thanks to the good folks at SimHQ for feeding our passions. Check six!

-Chip

LAST UPDATED 12 July 07

1. News

2. Installation and Patching

3. Universal Modifications and Utilities

4. Backup Install Folders Now!

5. Optional Add-on Aircraft, Cockpits, Weapons, and Effects

6. Multiplayer

7. Important Links

1. News

Streak Eagle has added some cool shots of the entire US aircraft inventory.

Added this News section. This is becoming to look more like a web site :(

2. Installation and Patching

Run Wings Over Vietnam or Strike Fighters Project 1 install normally.

During the Wings Over Vietnam install accept the Hyperlobby install

in order to install a version which will support WOV.

Apply SP1 for WOV.

Apply Service pack 1 and patch 1 to Strike Fighters.

Launch each simulation, go to Options, Controls, and lower both joystick sensitivity and joystick dead zone to suit your preferences. I find that the dead zone is too large and the sensitivity too high. YMMV.

Setup Gameplay Options to Hard, except for Radar, Visual Targeting, and HUD Display. Set these to Normal. This will allow you to have realistic flight, fuel, and gunnery models while learning radar and missile (BVR) skills.

3. Universal Modifications and Utilities

Download and install the SFP1E extractor utility. Occasionally, you will need to extract a file from what is known a .CAT file to effect a modification or kill a bug. It really takes more time to explain it than do it. Trust me.

Optional: To remove the radar display in the upper right hand corner of the screen during flight when the HUD Display is set in Normal mode, Extract the HUDDATA.INI file from \Flight\FlightData.cat. Edit with Notepad the following section as given to change the Width= and Height= to 0. Personal preference for sure, but that radar in the sky really mucks up screen shots and video captures. Your eyes should be scanning for bandits anyway.

Change this:

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.125

Height=0.16666667

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

To this:

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0

Height=0

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

Download WoV & SF P1 Mission Editor. Install into both directories and optionally setup icons for both. There is a great tutorial here. Although there have been some changes in the editor since the tutorial has been updated, the editor readme file includes changes made since the tutorial. Even if you don't create missions from scratch, you can use this editor as a GUI to modify ready-made or downloaded missions.

Optional: The F5 Shoulder view is broken by default. Use the SFP1E cat file extractor to extract the VIEWLIST.INI file in your \Flight\FLIGHTDATA.CAT folder. There are a few different way to mod views. Search SimHQ WOV forum for VIEWLIST.INI to find a few. Specifically fix the F5 view here.

How to mange AI.

4. Backup Install Folders Now!

This will allow you to play online with a stock install.

Due to the abundance of modifications for these simulations, this will be a fallback in case of a botched install.

Name your backed up folder something like "Wings Over Vietnam.stock". This way you can launch the version of the sim desired just by changing to folder extensions.

5. Optional Add-on Aircraft, Cockpits, Weapons, and Effects

IMPORTANT: Before you add any custom aircraft, download the current weapons pack. This will prevent you from having to manually add weapons and modify the WEAPONDATA.INI file each time you add an aircraft. The current weapons pack may need updates as noted. It is far easier to add a single weapons pack than to add and edit with each aircraft.

Column5 has released an F-8E Crusader. Come get some.

F-15E for download. Make sure to apply this fix before flying to solve the bouncing on the runway problem.

Column5 has a new article on using carriers from WOV in SFP1.

The Mirage Team at Column5 has released an outstanding F-14A Tomcat for SFP1. Stay tuned for a WOV migration procedure. Also suggested at Column5 is the Mig-21MS (NATO Flogger-E) to create/run Gulf of Sidra missions.

Update: 3 steps are needed to get the F-14A to run in WOV:

1. Run the install for the F-14A pointing the install folder as Wings Over Vietnam. Make sure that you have the latest weapons pack installed. See the first bullet in this section for details.

2. If you own SFP1, extract the F-104_RADARMODE.TGA file from the \Objects\ObjectsData.cat file and copy to your \Objects\Aircraft\F-14A folder in WOV. If you don't own it, perhaps a friend might help :) Actually, since the art work is copywrited, go pick up SFP1. It can sometimes be found on the net for ~ $10 US.

3. Download and Launch the WeaponEditor.exe. Place it in the \Objects\Weapons folder. If you are using WinXP, you need to right-click on the WeaponEditor.exe, click properties, and change the Compatibility mode to Win98/ME. Once it is opened, click Open, and point to the WEAPONDATA.INI file, find the AIM-54A and AIM-54C, change their start year to 1973. Click OK and Save the WEAPONDATA.INI file.

GO KICK SOME ASS IN THE TOMCAT

An excellent Mig-21MF by Mago and Badger 343rd is now available at Avsim. Search the file library for heroussr.zip. This is the best current Soviet cockpit available, and good to use in other aircraft of that type.

The A-6A has limited RWR capabilities. This mod will replace the radar with a functioning RWR. Another personal choice.

There is a bug in the stock A-6A altimeter that is easily fixed with an edit.

Changing the A-6's FOV to look out the right window. Make sure to copy the A-6A_COCKPIT.INI file to your A-6A folder when the edit is done.

There is a new killer A-6A add-on aircraft which looks as good or better than the stock one. Also good for SFP1 owners. Mine is set to 120.

Digital Overload's A-1H should be a must-have for a Vietnam era sim.

The F-104 was not included in WOV. If you own SFP1, there is a way to import it.

The add-on F-8D for SFP1 needs the radar from the F-104. Info here on using it with WOV.

A gentleman named Deuces80th makes some fantastic effects mods. Many of his effects are now included in the weapons packs, so I removed the links to the files.

Playing custom in-flight music. Great listening to "Purple Haze" while

unloading a splashing 'em with nape.

Thrustmaster Cougar owners need a file to get started? Here's mine.

6. Multiplayer

You must use Hyper Lobby to connect over the Internet. This is a great FREE utility for connecting online flight simmers. It is included with WOV, but remember to check the HL web site for newer releases. If you attempt to connect with an old version, the HL server will prompt you to update. There is also a program called hamachi which works just as well. Freeware on the web.

PORTS: WOV SP1 and SFP1 SP3 use Microsoft DirectPlay. Those ports and those for Hyper Lobby will need to be opened on broadband routers for successful multiplayer. Hyper Lobby uses port 1698. DirectPlay ports are discussed in this MS KB article. In general, open 2300-2400 UDP and TCP.

After players have selected team and aircraft and moved to the hanger, the host should wait in the hanger until all players have arrived in the hanger before launching the game.

At this time, there is a bug preventing all players except the host from seeing enemy aircraft and missiles. Third Wire is said to be working on a resolution. DF missions do not have this problem.

He-he, real Mig killer discusses online flying in Wings Over Vietnam and the FM of the F-4, F-8, Mig-17, and Mig-19.

Want to connect without Hyper Lobby, check out Beer's tutorial.

7. Important Links

Third Wire Productions - the mother ship

SimHQ's Links list - extensive links list

SimHQ forum - all the Third Wire sim news that's fit to print

column5 - fantastic skins and aircraft with a Naval theme

CombatAce.com like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, biohazcentral ashes that is.

Wrench's Toolbox - great stuff here from the sublime to the extreme :)

Charles' SF Page - exhaustive SF editing notes and a medals pack.

NaturalPoint TrackIR - if you have read this far you need one of these

Major Lee's Aerodrome - FAQ, skins, terrain, and aircraft for SFP1, best viewed with IE

Gramps - I got your carriers right here pal.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

This is a document written by Charles. This is the work of him and many others.

Taken from Charles site: SF Editing Notes . These notes are a compilation of work by me and a great number of other SF fans. They have been collated by me since October 2002, originally for my own use. They are a synthesis of everyone’s knowledge of SF that has been shared to date, and are intended as a freely available reference work for anyone interested in editing SF.

STRIKE FIGHTERS PROJECT 1: INFO

Some notes on Strike Fighters Project 1

First Revision: October 2002

Current revision: December 2003

A series of notes for editing SF which I have compiled, principally from posts on the SimHQ SF forum, but also from individual emails and with some detective work of my own. I have attributed where I can, but not completely, so if I have left anyone’s name off a contribution, let me know. I started keeping these notes for my own editing purposes, but have had a lot of requests to make them available, so here they are. The sole purpose of this compilation is to assist other SF modding fans – if you find them useful, that’s great.

Index

Index

SPF1Extractor, Aircraft codes, Sundry tips

Sundry grapphics tips

Weapons Data

Weapons data, Guns data

Loadout data

New Weapons

Limiting Pylon Usage

Key Controls, New flyable Aircraft

ParticleSystem.INI (bomb effects)

ParticleSystem.INI (airshow smoke)

“” “”

Aircraft flight models

“” “” Flight coefficients

“” “” (F100D slats)

“” “”

“” “” (F104 rudder)

Single Missions

“” “’

“” “”

“” “”

“” “” , Planning Map

HUD text, Collision points

Radar 101

Campaign editing (basics)

“” “”

“” “”

“” “”

Campaign editing -sundry

“” “”

Sundry Editing Tips

Damage Modelling

SFP1E

This is the file-extraction program for Strike Fighters-Project 1. It is in its own directory Program Files/SFP1E. It extracts individual files from the *.CAT (catalogue) files. Extracted files can be edited, and if placed in the same directory as the *.CAT file they came from, will be used by the sim ahead of the original one in the *.CAT file (except that aircraft files go into individual aircraft folder).

Aircraft Codes

The full list of aircraft codes for editing is:

A-4b

A-4c

A-4e

An-12

B-57b

C-130a

F-100d

F-104g

F-4b

F-4c

F-4d

F-4e

Il-28

MiG-17F

MiG-19S

MiG-21F

MiG-21MF

MiG-21PFM

O-1e

Su7

Tu-22

Pilot pictures

Pilot pictures are 107 x 127 pixels. 72 pixels per inch, depth 24, 16 million colours.

Just resize your photo to a pixel size of 107x127 and make it a .bmp file. Save it to your PilotData folder and call it PilotPhoto* (sub the * for the next available number).

Mainscreens

Mainscreens within Project 1 are 1024 x 768 pixel bitmaps with a resolution of 96 pixels per inch, and reside in the Menu sub-folder of the Strike Fighters directory. To use a new mainscreen, simply unzip a new bitmap to the Menu sub-folder and rename it as "mainscreen.bmp".

Coordinates

Strike Fighters uses a Y, X, Z coordinate

Where: Y is the wingtip to wingtip dimension (- = left, + = right)

X is the nose to tail dimension (- = back, + = front)

Z is the top to bottom dimension (- = bottom, + = top)

Sundry Graphics Tips

Kill the mirrors in graphics, they are monster frame-rate killers.

Kill the dynamic shadows, too, they kill the frame rate, and apparently also cause CTDs.

In the flightengine.ini file (in the flightdata.cat) there is something interesting! Under the section for:

[HighDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=6

DetailLevel=1

WaterEffect=1

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=0 (you will read -1 here)

The last line is the texture resolution aka mipmap LOD setting in the graphic card control panel or any tweak tool. The thing I wondered about is that the stock setting there is -1. That means that the game uses it's own mipmap setting rather than the one I set in RivaTuner. I have set the mipmap LOD to 0, cause a negative value will automatically decrease the fps rate quite a bit.

Even -0,5 is too tough. When you know fly with the max detail settings in SF, you will automatically forced to fly with a mipmap detail of -1. That's a heavy load on the CPU cause the standard setting is always 0! On the ground I had around 25fps, now I have 38 with the mipmap distance to 0 and Vsync on. You can set the mipmap distance in OpenGL but not under D3D, so you need a tweaker. Always wondered, why the fps is so low in the cockpit, now I know why.

It only affects the highest detail settings cause for the lower detail, there are numbers around 265 which is pretty low. Set it to 0 and you can turn on the cockpit mirrors while the game stays smooth and you can use the highest detail in the game! It runs so much smoother now. Don't know why TK decided to use -1 cause there really is almost no viewable difference in the terrain quality. Hope I could help some of you who had notoriously low fps rates. You can even try a positive value like 0,5 which wouldn't look much different either. So there is no need to drop the detail.

Mission Failed message

Get rid of the "Mission Accomplished / Mission Failed" messages from Red Crown. In your C:\Program Files\Strategy First\Strike Fighters\Flight folder, make the following change to your SPEECHSYSTEM.ini file (which is extracted from FlightData.CAT):

The original reads:

[Concept008]

//MSN_SPC_TACC_MISSION_ACCOMPLISHED,

Priority=TRUE

TargetFragmentID=SPC_TACC_LEAD_CALLSIGN

CallerFragmentID=SPC_TACC_TACC_CALLSIGN

BodyFragment001=SPC_TACC_MISSION_ACCOMPLISHED

[Concept009]

//MSN_SPC_TACC_MISSION_FAILED,

Priority=TRUE

TargetFragmentID=SPC_TACC_LEAD_CALLSIGN

CallerFragmentID=SPC_TACC_TACC_CALLSIGN

BodyFragment001=SPC_TACC_MISSION_FAILED

Change this to:

[Concept008]

//MSN_SPC_TACC_MISSION_ACCOMPLISHED,

Priority=TRUE

TargetFragmentID=

CallerFragmentID=

BodyFragment001=

[Concept009]

//MSN_SPC_TACC_MISSION_FAILED,

Priority=TRUE

TargetFragmentID=

CallerFragmentID=

BodyFragment001=

.Weapons (from WeaponData.INI)

[WeaponData001]

TypeName=Mk81

FullName=Mk.81 250-lb Bomb

[WeaponData002]

TypeName=Mk82

FullName=Mk.82 500-lb Bomb

[WeaponData003]

TypeName=Mk83

FullName=Mk.83 1000-lb Bomb

[WeaponData004]

TypeName=Mk84

FullName=Mk.84 2000-lb Bomb

[WeaponData005]

TypeName=M117

FullName=M-117 750-lb Bomb

[WeaponData006]

TypeName=Rockeye

FullName=Mk.20 Rockeye II

[WeaponData007]

TypeName=BLU-1

FullName=BLU-1 Napalm

[WeaponData008]

TypeName=AIM-7D

FullName=AIM-7D Sparrow

[WeaponData009]

TypeName=AIM-7E

FullName=AIM-7E Sparrow

[WeaponData010]

TypeName=AIM-7E-2

FullName=AIM-7E-2 Sparrow

[WeaponData011]

TypeName=AIM-9B

FullName=AIM-9B Sidewinder

[WeaponData012]

TypeName=AIM-9D

FullName=AIM-9D Sidewinder

[WeaponData013]

TypeName=AIM-9E

FullName=AIM-9E Sidewinder

[WeaponData014]

TypeName=AIM-9E-2

FullName=AIM-9E-2 Sidewinder

[WeaponData015]

TypeName=AIM-9G

FullName=AIM-9G Sidewinder

[WeaponData016]

TypeName=AIM-9H

FullName=AIM-9H Sidewinder

[WeaponData017]

TypeName=AIM-9J

FullName=AIM-9J Sidewinder

[WeaponData018]

TypeName=AIM-4D

FullName=AIM-4D Falcon

[WeaponData019]

TypeName=AGM-45A

FullName=AGM-45A Shrike

[WeaponData020]

TypeName=AGM-45B

FullName=AGM-45B Shrike

[WeaponData021]

TypeName=AGM-78A

FullName=AGM-78A Standard ARM

[WeaponData022]

TypeName=HydraHE

FullName=2.75" Rocket

[WeaponData023]

TypeName=ZuniAP

FullName=5" Rocket

[WeaponData024]

TypeName=HVAR

FullName=5" HVAR Rocket

[WeaponData025]

TypeName=LAU-3A

FullName=LAU-3/A Rocket Pod

[WeaponData026]

TypeName=LAU-10A

FullName=LAU-10/A Rocket Pod

[WeaponData027]

TypeName=SUU23

FullName=SUU-23/A Gun Pod

[WeaponData028]

TypeName=Tank200_F100

FullName=200-gal Drop Tank

[WeaponData029]

TypeName=Tank335_F100

FullName=335-gal Drop Tank

[WeaponData030]

TypeName=Tank170_F104

FullName=170-gal Drop Tank

[WeaponData031]

TypeName=Tank195_F104

FullName=195-gal Drop Tank

[WeaponData032]

TypeName=Tank370_F4

FullName=370-gal Drop Tank

[WeaponData033]

TypeName=Tank600_F4

FullName=600-gal Drop Tank

[WeaponData034]

TypeName=Tank300_A4

FullName=300-gal Drop Tank

[WeaponData035]

TypeName=Tank_B57

FullName=Wingtip Tanks

[WeaponData036]

TypeName=TER

FullName=Triple Ejector Rack

[WeaponData037]

TypeName=MER

FullName=Multiple Ejector Rack

[WeaponData038]

TypeName=FAB100

FullName=FAB-100 100-kg Bomb

[WeaponData039]

TypeName=FAB250

FullName=FAB-250 250-kg Bomb

[WeaponData040]

TypeName=FAB500

FullName=FAB-500 500-kg Bomb

[WeaponData041]

TypeName=AA-2

FullName=AA-2 Atoll

[WeaponData042]

TypeName=Rocket57

FullName=57mm Rocket

[WeaponData043]

TypeName=S-24

FullName=S-24 240mm Rocket

[WeaponData044]

TypeName=UV16

FullName=UV-16-57 Rocket Pod

[WeaponData045]

TypeName=UV32

FullName=UV-32-57 Rocket Pod

[WeaponData046]

TypeName=SA-2B

FullName=SA-2B Guideline Mod 1

[WeaponData047]

TypeName=SA-2C

FullName=SA-2C Guideline Mod 2

[WeaponData048]

TypeName=SA-2F

FullName=SA-2F Guideline Mod 5In WeaponsData.INI the line GuidanceType= defines the method of operation of the weapon.

GuidanceType=0 All bombs and unguided rockets

GuidanceType=9 AGM-45A & B Shrike and AGM-78A Standard radar homing missiles

GuidanceType=10 Aim-9 Sidewinder, Aim-4D Falcon and AA-2 Atoll infa-red missiles

GuidanceType=11 SA-2 SAMs

GuidanceType=12 Aim-7 Sparrow semi-active (radar) homing missile

The hardpoints for some aircraft, most notably the F-4D & E, contain abbreviations for some weapons that aren’t in the weapondata.ini file. I've made a list of the ones I've found, and what an example would be if my conjecture was correct on the abbreviations.

CGR= Command Guided Rocket. AGM-12 Bullpup.

RCN= Recon pod. NUC= Nuke. B-53, 43, 61.

LGB= Laser Guided Bomb. Paveways (I don't think they were actually called that back then)

DLP= Designator Laser Pod. Pave Knife AN/ALQ-10 EOGB= Electro-optically guided bomb. Walleye.

EOGR= Elecro-Optically Guided Rocket. Maverick. TLR=Tube Launched Rocket?

EP= Electronics pod? If so, then various ECM pods. IFP= ?

GunData.INI (in OBJECTS\OBJECTDATA.CAT)

This file sets the various Gun characteristics (ROF, weight of shell…). There are 34 different guns provided for.

LOADOUT.INI

This page is Keith Roger’s analysis. Look at the new A-1H Skyraider LOADOUT.INI file as an example:

// Station 1 = Left Wing Station 1

// Station 2 = Right Wing Station 1

// Station 3 = Left Wing Station 2

// Station 4 = Right Wing Station 2

// Station 5 = Left Wing Station 3

// Station 6 = Right Wing Station 3

// Station 7 = Left Wing Station 4

// Station 8 = Right Wing Station 4

// Station 9 = Left Wing Station 5

// Station 10 = Right Wing Station 5

// Station 11 = Left Wing Station 6

// Station 12 = Right Wing Station 6

// Station 13 = Left Wing Station Inboard 7

// Station 14 = Right Wing Station Inboard 7

// Station 15 = Centerline Station

Ok,as you can see, there are 15 Stations going from outboard to inboard as to the normal left to right.They are also grouped together with a location name.They are grouped symmetrically,but can be set up and loaded asymmetrically by editing the StationGroupID.

Each station will have an entry in the Data.ini that looks something like this

[LeftWingStationOutboard2]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=3

StationGroupID=2

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-5.62,.10,-.56

AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

LoadLimit=453.6

AllowedWeaponClass=BOMB,RP,RCKT

AttachmentType=NATO,USN,USAF

ModelNodeName=LeftWing_OuterPylon

PylonMass=55

PylonDragArea=0.02

LaunchRailNodeName=MissileRail_L

LaunchRailHeight=0.10

StationGroupID= This determines what stations are grouped together on the loadout page.I have worked with as many as 6 groups,but with more than 5,the right hand column gets crowded and the lines connecting the dropdown to the plane graphic disappear.

AttachmentPosition= This determines where the weapon appears on the model.In the Data.ini released with the A-1H,even though the header had [LeftWingStationOutboard2]the coordinates were for where Station 9 = Left Wing Station 5 is located,so that's where the weapon appeared.

LoadLimit=In Kgs. You can use this setting to limit what size stores are carried on some stations .

AllowedWeaponClass= this determines what type of store is carried.BOMB is all types of bombs,RP is Rocket pods, and RCKT is the HVAR.

AttachmentType=I'm not sure how these are grouped,but I have noted that USN precludes some weapons types.

So far on my A-1H Weapons rework I've changed the name of the loadout.ini from a1-h to A-1H so that it matches the .ini in the A/C folder.The game now used the presets in the loadout .ini .I've added Stations 11 thru 15 to the Loadout.ini . I changed the Attachment Positions on the outboard pylons so that they now drop from outboard in. I set up add loadgroups so that you can get a more realistic loadout with better spacing I've deleted the MER's ,TER's Sidewinders, and AGM,as they were not used on this A/C

.New Weapons

I added a Mk82 Snake Eye to the game and not only does it show up but it also seems to work like it's supposed to. The Standard Mk82 falls straight down from the bottom of the plane when it's released and the Snake Eye drags behind the plane as it falls.This was a relatively simple operation because all I did was change the behavior of the weapon,the actual warhead properties are the same as the standard Mk82.

Here's what I did.

I extracted the WeaponData.ini file before I started.

1.Open the Weapon Editor and then open the WeaponsData.dat file.

2.Made a copy of the Mk82 500 pound bomb.

3.Edited the Mk82 copy by changing the name to Mk82 Snake Eye and Mk82 Snake Eye 500-lb Bomb as the full name.

4.Checked Retarded and unchecked Streamlined and Stabilizing Fins.

5.Saved As to my objects folder in my test version of the game.

6.Opened the WeaponData.ini file and copied the section for the Mk82 and pasted it to the bottom of the list.

7.Changed the WeaponData number to reflect the added weapon,in this case [WeaponData052].

8.Changed the weapon name in the new Mk82 Snake Eye section to exactly what I named it in the Editor.

9.Changed the Retarded,Streamlined and Stabilizing Fins to reflect what I put in those fields in the editor.There is also a Spin Stabilized call out which I also made sure was FALSE,see below.

[WeaponData052]

TypeName=Mk82 Snake Eye

FullName=Mk.82 Snake Eye 500-lb Bomb

ModelName=mk82

Mass=226.800003

Diameter=0.270000

Length=2.180000

AttachmentType=NATO

NationName=USAF

StartYear=0

EndYear=0

Availability=3

BaseQuantity=4

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=0

ExportAvailability=3

WeaponDataType=0

Retarded=TRUE

Streamlined=FALSE

FinStabilized=FALSE

SpinStabilized=FALSE

EffectClassName=MediumBombEffects

WarheadType=0

Explosives=87.089996

FusingDistance=0.000000

GuidanceType=0

Accuracy=0.000000

MaxTurnRate=0.000000

MaxLaunchG=0.000000

LaunchReliability=0.000000

ArmingTime=0.000000

SeekerFOV=0.000000

SeekerTrackRate=0.000000

SeekerRange=0.000000

I don't know if it was actually needed but I edited the F-4E_Loadout.ini file and replaced the

Mk82 callout with the Mk82 Snake Eye for the Strike Mission. I also followed what you did and created a "No-Upgrade" F-4E Squadron for the Campaign,I added the Mk82 Snake Eye to the available weapons in this particular squadron section.

I don't think these last two things are needed because I flew the thing in the Cuba Map which has no ties at all the the Campaign files. I'm reasonably sure that the loadout file doesn't have to be edited but in Multi-player I should now have Snake Eyes as the default Strike Loadout. I suspect to build a whole new weapons type would require a specific .ini file for the new weapon but there again I'm not sure.

How does one limit pylon usage?

Example: The Avon Sabre has four hard-points. however the inboard hardpoint pylons are different depending on if you're loading bombs or Sidewinders (heater-rail-vs- normal pylon) So effectively there are six hard-points modeled. However in reality you only have usage of one or the other... not both at the same time. Is there a way to disable usage of one set of pylons when another set are used?

Secondly... Is there another way to limit ordinace for an aircraft besides "year available" and "weight"?

To do so I suspect u go about it the same way the Super Sabre has its inner pylon set up. Here is an example

How the bomb/rp/ft station would look

[RightWingStation]

StationID=6

StationGroupID=3< you want to give them the same stationgroup id

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=1.55,1.80,-1.04

AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

LoadLimit=2080.40

AllowedWeaponClass=BOMB,RP,FT

AttachmentType=NATO,USAF,USN

ModelNodeName=pylon_right_inner

PylonMass=81.6

PylonDragArea=0.03

FuelTankName=Tank200_F100

how the winder rail would look

[sidewinderStation]

StationID=7

StationGroupID=3

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-1.43,1.79,-1.00

AttachmentAngles=0.0,-3.0,-45.0

LoadLimit=250.0

AllowedWeaponClass=IRM

AttachmentType=NATO,USAF,USN

ModelNodeName=pylon_winder rail

PylonMass=45.0

PylonDragArea=0.04

Key Controls

Can I get two keys to perform the same function? (i.e. my joytick button 8 does that, but I also want the original key to still do that too) If so, what is the syntax to add another control input? (space and/or comma don't work)

Just add to your joystick and leave the default like this.

[ControlSet002]

THROTTLE_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_U-AXIS

FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON01

FIRE_WEAPON=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON02

NEXT_AA_WEAPONS=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON03

NEXT_AG_WEAPONS=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON04

GOTO_VIEW_PADLOCK=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON05

NEXT_RADAR_MODE=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON06

SELECT_GROUND=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON07

SELECT_TARGET=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON08

etc.etc just add to [ControlSet002] and set 001 will be default key.

EXACTLY what I was looking for! (read: I hadn't noticed there were "repeated" commands in that section, and kept trying to put them on the same line so to speak! *ack*)

Flying New (previously non-flyable) Aircraft

Previously non-flyable aircraft can be flown as follows. MajorLee has a flyable SU-7B.

Say you want to fly the Mig-21Mf, which is in \Strike Fighters\Objects\Aircraft\MiG-21MF

Open the *.INI file in that folder. It will look like this:

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=MiG-21MF Fishbed-J

AircraftDataFile=MiG-21MF_data.ini

LoadoutFile=MiG-21MF_loadout.ini

Change it to look like this:

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=MiG-21MF Fishbed-J

AircraftDataFile=MiG-21MF_data.ini

CockpitDataFile=F-104G_cockpit.ini

HangarScreen=MiG-21MF_hangar.bmp

LoadoutImage=MiG-21MF_loadout.bmp

LoadoutFile=MiG-21MF_loadout.ini

The MiG-21MF will use the F-104G cockpit.

Now use the hangar.bmp and loadout.bmp files from MajorLee’s flyable Su-7, and rename them MiG-21MF_hangar.bmp and MiG-21MF_loadout.bmp, in the MiG21MF subdirectory.

That’s all. The MiG-21MF will now be selectable.

Changing planes in instant action

(player plane only, not the AI-controlled):

You need to edit 2 files:

1) OPTIONS.INI

2) flight\INSTANTACTION.INI (which you extract from

MISSIONDATA.CAT (not FLIGHTDATA.CAT)

Changes in INSTANTACTION.INI:

In section [AircraftMission001] (which describes player a/c), change AircraftType to what you want to fly (and have flyable) i.e. AircraftType=MiG-21MF

Changes in OPTIONS.INI:

In section [instantAction] set AircraftType same as in INSTANTACTION.INI. .

PARTICLESYSTEM.INI (in Flightdata.CAT file in the Flight folder)

This file has three parts:

[EmitterType] 001 – 317

e.g. 314 is the SmallBombCraterEmiter….317 is the VeryLargeBombCraterEmiter

[EffectType] 001 – 107

e.g. 054 is the NapalmExplosionEffect, 061 is the SmallBombEffect…064 is the VeryLargeBombEffect ….069 is the ClusterBombEffect, 106 is the ClusterBombAirExplosionEffect

[Material] (from Fire ….BombCrater)

Bomb Effects

In a desperate attempt to change the sky color to a much better looking blue, I came across a file named particlesystem.ini in Flightdata.CAT file in the Flight folder of Strike Fighters. I saw that we can enable, disable, increase or decrease all visual eyecandy effects to what we please. Now, scroll down to the [EmitterType034] section:

[EmitterType034]

Name=RocketFlareEmitter

EmissionType=HOLD_PARTICLE

UpdateType=NON_MOVING

MaxVisibleDistance=0.000000

EmissionRate=1.000000

ParticleUpdateType=NON_MOVING

ParticleRenderType=SPRITE

ParticleRandomOrientation=TRUE

ParticleColorTableType=CONSTANT

ParticleColor=0.500000,0.500000,0.500000,0.200000

ParticleSizeTableType=CONSTANT

ParticleSize=1.500000

ParticleSizeDeviation=0.100000

TextureMaterial=RocketFlareMaterial

Change the line about the max visible distance for the rocket flare effect to 0.000000 as shown above. I just fired some Sidewinders and to my suprise I have found the entry for the Halo effect. Without this effect, the missile looks much more realistic and not as "HollyWoodish" (is that an English word?) as before. You will find loads of entries for all kind of effects. I also increased the contrail visual distance as well as the dirty engine smoke effect and the tracer one (VF_2John Banks).

Napalm Effects

(This is a pre-v1 Patch note). Taking a cue from VF_2 John Banks and his missile-halo fix (great find!), I decided to fool around with the particlesystem.ini in Flight/FlightData.CAT and got myself much larger and longer-lasting napalm effects.

After extracting particlesystem.ini, find the napalm parts:

[EmitterType047]

Name=NapalmParticle

and

[EmitterType048]

Name=NapalmSmoke

Change the LifeTime parameter to twice it's value

Change the ParticleSize[xx].Value entries to double their value.

Make sure you get them all.

Here's mine just for a quick peek.

[EmitterType047]

Name=NapalmParticle

……………………………………

ParticleSize[01].Time=0.000000

ParticleSize[01].Value=16.000000

ParticleSize[02].Time=0.250000

ParticleSize[02].Value=40.00000

ParticleSize[03].Time=1.000000

ParticleSize[03].Value=66.0000

TextureMaterial=ExplosionParticleMaterial

[EmitterType048]

Name=NapalmSmoke

……………………………..

ParticleSize[01].Value=20.00000

ParticleSize[02].Time=1.0000000

ParticleSize[02].Value=48.000000

TextureMaterial=AnimatedSmokeMaterial

Obviously, this quick fix is hardly scientific and the resulting explosions are a little on the large side, but the point is we can fix some stuff ourselves. Next step is to add a shock wave to the napalm, and then work on bombs (though I still don't get explosions on bombs larger then 500 lbs).

Airshow Smoke

Here is a little particle system mod for giving a plane an 'Air Show' smoke generator. This is great for those Blue Angels and Tunderbirds skins. Test your formation flying skills with friends or just practice your air show maneuvers. You will need to extract the PARTICLESYSTEM.INI from the Flight/FlightData.cat file and add these lines: (The extracted file goes into the Objects directory)

Code:

[EmitterType094]

Name=AirshowSmokeEmitter

EmissionType=POINT_EMITTER

UpdateType=NON_MOVING

MaxVisibleDistance=10000.000000

EmissionRate=0.20000

ParticleUpdateType=RANDOM_MOVING

ParticleRenderType=CONNECTED_SPRITE

ParticleLifeTime=18.000000

ParticleWeight=0.00000

ParticleWindFactor=0.5

ParticleColorTableType=TABLE

ParticleColor[01].Time=0.000000

ParticleColor[01].Value=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,0.00000

ParticleColor[02].Time=0.009000

ParticleColor[02].Value=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,0.900000

ParticleColor[03].Time=0.750000

ParticleColor[03].Value=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,0.100000

ParticleColor[04].Time=1.000000

ParticleColor[04].Value=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,0.000000

ParticleSizeTableType=TABLE

ParticleSize[01].Time=0.000000

ParticleSize[01].Value=0.0080000

ParticleSize[02].Time=0.020000

ParticleSize[02].Value=4.800000

ParticleSize[03].Time=0.850000

ParticleSize[03].Value=16.000000

TextureMaterial=SmokeTrailMaterial

Then, extract the data.ini file for the plane model you want to add smoke to. This file goes into the plane's directory within the Aircraft directory. example: A-4E_DATA.INI goes into this directory: Objects\Aircraft\A-4e

Locate the [Engine] section.

You can do this two different ways. You can change the normal engine exhaust emitter to have smoke all the time:

Code:

ExhaustEmitterName=AirshowSmokeEmitter

or, have the ability to turn the smoke on or off from the cockpit by changing the afterburner emitter:

Code:

AfterburnerEmitterName=AirshowSmokeEmitter

For a plane like the A-4, you can add an afterburner that has the same thrust values as the regular engine, then you can push the throttle past 80% to turn on smoke, and pull back to turn off smoke. The AI planes will also turn on their smoke when you do, how cool is that?

Here is the entire engine section for the A-4e with afterburner/smoke modification.

Code:

[Engine]

SystemType=JET_ENGINE

InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL

EngineID=1

HasAfterburner=TRUE

NumAfterburnerStages=1

SLThrustDry=37809.9

SLThrustWet=37809.9

……………………………………..

ExhaustEmitterName=CleanExhaustEmitter

ExhaustPosition=0.0,-3.73,0.16

FireSuppression=TRUE

AfterburnerNodeName=afterburner

AfterburnerEmitterName=AirshowSmokeEmitter

MinExtentPosition=-0.49,-3.49,-0.56

MaxExtentPosition= 0.49, 0.57, 0.62.

Aircraft Flight Models (*DATA.INI)

Known values of important variables in the aircraft DATA.INI files

[FlightControl] (the example is the MiG17F):

StallSpeed=50.89 Stall Speed in metres per second (100 m/s = 194.38 knots)

CruiseSpeed=140.54 Cruise Speed “”

ClimbSpeed=192.25 Climb Speed “”

CornerSpeed=143.93 Corner Speed “”

MaxG=8.00

MaxSpeedSL=300.00 Max speed at sea level (metres per second)

MachLimit=0.99

[AircraftData]

The following figures are known:

EmptyMass=3939.00 Empty weight of the aircraft (kg)

EmptyInertia=11990.1,4806.4,23498.5

ReferenceArea=22.63 Wing area of the aircraft (sq.metres)

ReferenceSpan=9.63 Wing span of the aircraft (metres)

CGPosition=0.00,-1.98,0.72 Centre of gravity posn (y (left/right), x (fore/aft) and z coords)

Engine Power

[Engine] (the example is the F1001D):

SLThrustDry=45371.86 KiloNewton x 1000 or Pounds thrust x 4.4482

SLThrustWet=71171.55

Engine power is, of course, one of the principal determinants of an aircraft's flight model. SL Thrust is thrust at sea level. Dry is ordinary operation and Wet is with afterburner.

The SF figures are in KiloNewton x 1000, or Pounds thrust x 4.4482.

For prop aircraft it is KiloWatt x 1000, or horsepower x 1000 x 0.7456999

The US aircraft are systematically correct, but there are some anomolies with the Soviet aircraft: the Mig21F and Mig21MF are underpowered, and the Mig17 is heavily overpowered. The MiG21PFM is underpowered dry, but overpowered in afterburner. And the Tu22 has an error (each engine is 27560 lb thrust dry or 137,293 SF units, which is correct, but in AB the engines are 36,375 lb thrust, which should be 179,623 SF units - SF has them as 79,623 only i.e the Tu22's power halves in AB!).

So to be systematic, I would make the following changes:

Increase the MiG21F dry figure (42.2 kN) from 38,245 to 42,400, and the wet figure (56.3 kN) from 55,162 to 56,300.

Increase the MiG21MF dry figure (41.5 kN) from 38,245 to 41,500, and the wet figure (64.7 kN) from 60,576 to 64,700.

Increase the MiG21PFM dry figure (42.2 kN) from 38,245 to 42,200, and decrease the wet figure (56.3 kN) from 60,576 to 56,300.

Increase the Su7 dry figure (68.6 kN) from 63,743 to 68,600, and the wet figure (99.1 kN) from 88,259 to 99,100.

Decrease the MiG17F dry figure (26.5 kN) from 38,245 to 26,500, and the wet figure (33.1 kN) from 56,290 to 33,100.

And increase the Tu22 wet figure from 79,623 to 179,623!

I also found a handy tool for converting indicated speed to true for various altitudes: http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html

Afterburner

The throttle goes into afterburner at just about the half way point of its range, usually MilThrottle=0.65

This can be reset to taste.

True Airspeed/Indicated Airspeed

True Airspeed = Indicated Airspeed + 2% per 1000 feet of altitude

1 knot = 1.15 mph

.Description of aero coefficients in flight model data files by Wild_Elmo

OK, here is a list of the various aerodynamic coefficients (the 3 or 4 letter variables that start w/ the capital C) that are used in the flight model data files. I've also listed a couple of other variables for the hell of it (Xac and DeltaStallAlpha), but I'm going to limit this discussion primarily to the aerodynamic coefficients since this is how the model generates all of the forces and moments on the airplane.

CL0 Lift coefficient at zero angle of attack (AOA)

CLa Lift coefficient due to AOA

CD0 Zero-lift drag coefficient

CDL Drag coefficient due to lift (induced drag effect)

Cmq Pitching moment due to pitch rate (pitch damping)

Cmad Pitching moment due to AOA rate

(aero interaction between wings and horiz tail)

Cyb Side force due to sideslip

Cyp Side force due to roll rate

Cyr Side force due to yaw rate

Clb Roll moment due to sideslip

Clp Roll moment due to roll rate (roll damping)

Clr Roll moment due to yaw rate

Cnb Yaw moment due to sideslip

Cnp Yaw moment due to roll rate

Cnr Yaw moment due to yaw rate (yaw damping)

CLiftdc Lift due to control surface deflection

CDdc Drag due to control surface deflection

Cydc Side force due to control surface deflection

Cldc Roll moment due to control surface deflection

Cmdc Pitch moment due to control surface deflection

Cndc Yaw moment due to control surface deflection

DeltaStallAlpha Increase in max angle-of-attack before stall

Xac X-location of aerodynamic center

First thing to realize is that the coefficients are normalized by various dimensions of the aircraft, so they don't represent the absolute value of the force or moment. So for example, for Cnp, the actual yaw moment due to roll rate is found by mulitplying the coefficient by:

(Dynamic pressure * wing area * span^2) / (2*Velocity) There is actually a very good reason for this, but I'm not going to go into it. The important thing to understand is what force or moment is being generated by what.

Second thing to understand from a formatting standpoint, is that TK lists the coefficients first by their 'base' values. Then he lists how the values will vary with either Mach # or angle-of-attack. So for example, this is extracted from the data file for the F-4E in the section describing the left outer wing (I've snipped out portions):

[LeftOuterWing]

CL0=0.0248

CLa=0.6532

CD0=0.0008

CDL=0.0037

Cmq=-0.2457

Cmad=-0.2229

Clb=0.0137

Clp=-0.0335

Clr=0.0296

Cnb=0.0424

Cnp=0.0011

Cnr=-0.0019

Shown above are the 'base' values that I described earlier. Following these are variation with Ma # and angle of attack tables. Here's a typical table (for the F-4E left outer wing again):

CL0MachTableNumData=7

CL0MachTableDeltaX=0.40

CL0MachTableStartX=0.00

CL0MachTableData=0.976,1.000,1.087,1.212,0.858,0.692,0.577

The first row (CL0MachTableNumData) shows how many Ma # values the table varies over.

The second row indicates the delta in Ma # between data points.

The third row indicates the starting Ma # in the table.

The fourth row indicates the MULTIPLIER of the base CL0 value.

So for example at M=0 (starting takeoff for example), the multiplier of 0.976 is used with the base value of 0.0248 (I'll let you multiply it out).

The same idea applies for the tables that vary with Alpha (angle-of-attack).

Finally, listed below is the right outer slat section for the F-4E and I'll go over these items in detail (use the same basic idea for flaps, etc)

[RightOuterSlat]

SystemType=HIGHLIFT_DEVICE

CLiftdc=-0.0443

DeltaStallAlpha=6.00

AreaRatio=1.02

DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_ANGLE_OF_ATTACK

Setting[1].Angle=30.0

Setting[1].DeployValue=13.8

Setting[1].RetractValue=8.7

MaxDeflection=30.0

MinDeflection=0.0

CLiftdc is the lift coefficient due to slat deployment (the value of -0.0443 seems questionable BTW).

DeltaStallAlpha is the change in maximum alpha before stall due to slat deployment (6 degrees in this case).

AreaRatio is the increase in wing area due to slat deployment.

DeploymentMethod indicates that the slats deploy automatically based upon the angle of attack.

Setting[1].Angle indicates that when deployed the slats are at 30 degree deflection.

Setting[1].DeployValue indicates that at 13.8 degrees the slats automatically deploy.

Setting[2].RetractValue indicates that at 8.7 degrees the slats automatically retract.

Max and min are self-explanatory.

Leading Edge Flaps on the F100D

A while back I posted on the bug reporting area of this site a message about Leading Edge Flaps, or Slats, better known as LEF's and the IRL effect on lift they produce..LEF's deploy on most aircraft at low speeds or hard turns to increase the amount of lift the wing is producing to prevent a stall..As we all know..this is the area that the F100 out of the box has..at low speeds or hard turns..it handles like a dog..won't turn wont do jack unless you deploy the flaps..which got me thinking that in the sim the LEF effects were modelled backwards..Last night I got so disgusted at the F100 I was almost ready to give up on SF until the patch..then I though why wait..lets see what the .dat file says..

So using skypats utility I extracted EVERY file from the Objects.cab and took an in-depth look at the F100 FM data..this is what I found..in all respects for the leading edge slats of which there are four in the dat file..the data for the LEF's in the retracted position was indicative of HIGHER lift than when deployed..the values were as follows: Deployed: 128.6 and Retracted 149.2..so as a test I switched the values and saved the dat file..didn't change the values at all..just reveresed em..result in campaign. I can now turn with a Mig 17 at any speed over 220 knots..whether its a high G turn, or a low G turn..and my wing AI can now maneuver enough to almost keep from getting killed...This is how the Dat file should read for this area after the fix..

[LeftSlat]

CLiftdc=-0.0481

DeltaStallAlpha=6.00

AreaRatio=1.02

DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_AERODYNAMIC_LOAD

Setting[1].Angle=30.0

Setting[1].DeployValue=149.2

Setting[1].RetractValue=128.6

MaxDeflection=30.0

MinDeflection=0.0

ControlRate=2.0

AnimationID=3

[RightSlat]

CLiftdc=-0.0481

DeltaStallAlpha=6.00

AreaRatio=1.02

Setting[1].Angle=30.0

MaxDeflection=30.0

MinDeflection=0.0

ControlRate=2.0

AnimationID=3

[LeftOuterSlat]

CLiftdc=-0.0481

DeltaStallAlpha=6.00

AreaRatio=1.02

Setting[1].Angle=30.0

MaxDeflection=30.0

MinDeflection=0.0

ControlRate=2.0

AnimationID=3

[RightOuterSlat]

CLiftdc=-0.0481

DeltaStallAlpha=6.00

AreaRatio=1.02

Setting[1].Angle=30.0

MaxDeflection=30.0

MinDeflection=0.0

ControlRate=2.0

AnimationID=3

The result..the F100 is now a dream to fly…easier to control, less downward pressure needed on the stick at high speed flight to maintain level flight, climbs better, and turns WAY better..easy to do with the extract utility and all those frustrations trying to chase down those mig 17s are a thing of the past. The plane behaves like any other plane in any other sim in all flight parameters..including stall..and I purposely stalled it to test it..right down to a flat spin..recovery is still tricky..but it is a bit easier as well.

TK says that “the aircraft files go into individual aircraft folder. Sorry for the confusion, the .cat file don't retain subdirectory structure... So assuming you got modified F100_data.ini, copy it into <your Strike Fighters folder>\Objects\Aircraft\F-100d. Once I have some free time (yeah, right ), I'll try to write a "tutorial" detailing the directory structure of where things should be... in general, Charles is correct, you just copy it where the .cat files are, but not always...”

The F-104 rudder

It is very aircraft specific, and I have no idea about the F-104, but generally rudder will have a minor effect on roll, since the vertical fin and rudder are typically "above" the c.g. of the airplane. In other words, right rudder would yaw the aircraft right, but would slightly roll the aircraft left. As the angle of attack gets higher however, this effect becomes less and less since the fin becomes more aligned vertically with the c.g.

If the roll effect of the rudder is way overdone/inaccurate for the F-104, there is a simple and aerodynamically correct fix. In the rudder section of the F-104 data:

[Rudder]

SystemType=CONTROL_SURFACE

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

ReverseInput=TRUE

MaxDeflection=20

MinDeflection=-20

CDdc=0.0237

Cydc=0.2080

Cldc=0.0450

Cndc=-0.1600

CndcAlphaTableNumData=15

CndcAlphaTableDeltaX=4.00

CndcAlphaTableStartX=-28.00

CndcAlphaTableData=0.873,0.905,0.933,0.956,0.974,0.988,0.997,1.001,1.000,0.994,0.984,0.968,0.948,0.923,0.894

ControlRate=0.8etc...

change the value of

"Cldc=0.0450" to "Cldc=0.0000".

This will remove any effect of the rudder on roll. Cldc is the aerodynamic roll coefficient (Cl) due to rudder deflection (dc). This has NO effect on other flight characteristics.

SINGLE MISSIONS

Single saved missions are TXT files, saved with the extension *.MSN, in the C:\Program Files\Strategy First\Strike Fighters\Missions subdirectory

The format of a simple mission is as follows:

[MissionHeader]

AircraftType=F-4E

MissionMap=DESERT

MissionType=CAP

StartTime=12:30:00

StartDate=09/18/1968

[MissionData]

FriendlyAirActivity=1

EnemyAirActivity=1

PlayerMissionID=1

PlayerPositionID=1

MissionNumber=5123

AdjustStartPosition=FALSE

AdjustBaseWaypoint=TRUE

[Weather]

WeatherType=SCATTERED

WeatherAlt=4000.0

WeatherThickness=500.0

FogAmount=0.6

ContrailAlt=8000.0

StartWindDirection=180

StartWindSpeed=2.57222

WindGustingAmount=2.57222

[AircraftMission001]

AircraftType=F-4E

Name=GUNSLINGER

FormationType=USFighter

Size=1

RandomChance=100

MissionType=CAP

ObjectiveID=2

RatingForSuccess=50

Position=652000,409000,2500

Heading=0.0

Speed=350

Alignment=FRIENDLY

Loadout=AirToAir

Waypoint[01].Position= 652000, 452000, 1500

Waypoint[01].Size=500

Waypoint[01].Command=WAYPOINT

Waypoint[02].Position= 592000, 518000, 1500

Waypoint[02].Size=500

Waypoint[02].Command=WAYPOINT

Waypoint[03].Position= 544500, 468000, 1500

Waypoint[03].Size=500

Waypoint[03].Command=WAYPOINT

Waypoint[04].Position= 590000, 405900, 1500

Waypoint[04].Size=500

Waypoint[04].Command=WAYPOINT

WAYPOINT[01].Speed=250

WAYPOINT[02].Speed=250

WAYPOINT[03].Speed=250

WAYPOINT[04].Speed=250

[AircraftMission002]

AircraftType=MiG-21MF

Name=MIG

FormationType=SovietFighter

Size=4

RandomChance=100

MissionType=CAP

ObjectiveID=1

Position=652000.0,439000,2500.0

Heading=0.0

Speed=250.0

Alignment=ENEMY

Loadout=AirToAir

Waypoint[01].Position= 652000, 452000, 1500

Waypoint[01].Size=500.0

Waypoint[02].Position= 592000, 518000, 1500

Waypoint[02].Size=500.0

Waypoint[03].Position= 544500, 468000, 1500

Waypoint[03].Size=500.0

Waypoint[04].Position= 590000, 405900, 1500

Waypoint[04].Size=500.0

WAYPOINT[01].Speed=250

WAYPOINT[02].Speed=250

WAYPOINT[03].Speed=250

WAYPOINT[04].Speed=250

For those that are wondering how to use the Euro terrain with the mission editor. After creating a mission and saving it, goto your SF/missions folder find the mission you just created and edit the MissionMap line to this

MissionMap=DEUCES

To start on the runway, make the following changes:

[AircraftMission001]

AircraftType=F-4B

Name=GUNSLINGER

FormationType=USFighter

Size=1

RandomChance=100

MissionType=CAP

ObjectiveID=2

RatingForSuccess=50

StartOnGround=TRUE

Position=252500.0,761400,0.3 (x, y and z coords of the airbase)

Heading=360

Speed=0

Alignment=FRIENDLY

Loadout=AirToAir

Waypoint[01].Position= 252500, 761400, 0

Waypoint[01].Size=100.0

Waypoint[02].Position= 252500, 761200, 0

Waypoint[02].Size=100.0

Waypoint[03].Position= 252500, 761300, 0

Waypoint[03].Size=100.0

Waypoint[04].Position= 252500, 761400, 0

Waypoint[04].Size=100.0

WAYPOINT[01].Speed=

WAYPOINT[02].Speed=

WAYPOINT[03].Speed=

WAYPOINT[04].Speed=

WAYPOINT[05].Position= 252500, 761500, 0

WAYPOINT[05].Size=100.0

WAYPOINT[05].Speed=

WAYPOINT[05].Command=WAYPOINT

Having nothing better to do tonight I thought about the problem with not being able to take off from a airbase when making missions with ME. I remembered when setting the DebugTxt to true in the HudData.ini it gave a camera position,well this is actually your position on the map and alt. So going one step futher I landed on a base, postioned myself at the end of the runway noted the camera position and alt, entered this info into the start position and alt.(in ME) saved it, then opened the mission in notepad and under the line

RatingForSuccess=50 I entered

StartOnGround=TRUE

Also I set the Speed=0.0

Check the Desert_Targets.ini file in the terrain\desert\Desert.CAT folder...Save you any more work... It lists all target areas. **Note** IF you try to launch an allied aircraft from a axis airfield you will be sent back to airfield D10 in air, found this out while mapping and ran outta fuel, thought I could launch, hehe. Anyways here they are:

Allied airbases Airfield D1

Rwy 18 X=192114 Y=803659 alt=79

Rwy 36 X=189892 Y=802361 alt=79

Airfield D2

Rwy 06 X=252988 Y=761800 alt=31

Rwy 24 X=250775 Y=761800 alt=31

Rwy 18 X=250193 Y=759601 alt=31

Rwy 36 X=251808 Y=762399 alt=31

Airfield D3

Rwy 18 X=229000 Y=744276 alt=267

Rwy 36 X=229000 Y=741720 alt=267

Airfield D4

Rwy 18 X=297858 Y=680340 alt=30

Rwy 36 X=300138 Y=681657 alt=30

Airfield D5

Rwy 18 X=286106 Y=649635 alt=261

Rwy 36 X=283899 Y=648358 alt=261

Airfield D6

Rwy 18 X=301000 Y=602283 alt=193

Rwy 36 X=301000 Y=599722 alt=193

Airfield D7

Rwy 18 X=393002 Y=560328 alt=38

Rwy 36 X=392998 Y=557681 alt=38

Airfield D8

Rwy 18 X=346360 Y=535892 alt=143

Rwy 36 X=347663 Y=538149 alt=143

Airfield D9

Rwy 18 X=354347 Y=509873 alt=62

Rwy 36 X=355645 Y=512127 alt=62

Airfield D10

Rwy 18 X=447000 Y=480279 alt=121

Rwy 36 X=447002 Y=477717 alt=121

Soviet airbases Airfield P1

Rwy 18 X=413888 Y=444359 alt=71

Rwy 36 X=416111 Y=445643 alt=71

Airfield P2(DIRT)

Rwy N X=458510 Y=406718 alt=133

Rwy S X=459521 Y=407303 alt=133

Airfield P3(DIRT)

Rwy E X=486468 Y=438693 alt=59

Rwy W X=487523 Y=439299 alt=59

Airfield P4(DIRT)

Rwy E X=508472 Y=445303 alt=91

Rwy W X=509514 Y=444702 alt=91

Airfield P5

Rwy 18 X=546999 Y=468279 alt=45

Rwy 36 X=547000 Y=465723 alt=45

Airfield P6

Rwy 18 X=561000 Y=390279 alt=187

Rwy 36 X=560999 Y=387733 alt=187

Airfield P7(DIRT)

Rwy E X=628474 Y=329301 alt=263

Rwy W X=629530 Y=328696 alt=263

Airfield P8

Rwy 18 X=616359 Y=492110 alt=75

Rwy 36 X=617638 Y=489895 alt=75

Airfield P9

Rwy N X=705000 Y=404393 alt=85

Rwy S X=705000 Y=405609 alt=85

Airfield P10

Rwy 06 X=715801 Y=489011 alt=123

Rwy 24 X=715799 Y=491226 alt=123

Rwy 18 X=713602 Y=491807 alt=123

Rwy 36 X=716393 Y=490196 alt=123

**NOTE 2** Both sides have an airbase that has 4 runways,(D2,P10) 1 short, shorter 1 being 06,24 longer being 18,36. The longer Rwys would be ideal for aircraft which require the extra footage for takeoff. The axis side has DIRT Rwys that are SHORT!! Ideal for launching those nasty M-17s and M-19s.

The objects around an airfiled are also defined. Here is the entry from Desert_Data.ini in Terrain\Desert\DesertData.CAT for P3 Airfield... As you can see, it lists all objects as an offset (in metres) from the P3 listed XY co-ordinates

[TargetArea064]

Name=P3 Airfield

Position=487000.000,439000.000

Radius=6000.000

ActiveYear=0

Location=2

Alignment=ENEMY

AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield3.ini

NumSquadrons=1

Target[001].Type=Runway3

Target[001].Offset=0,0

Target[001].Heading=60

Target[002].Type=Tower2

Target[002].Offset=-54.867,10.024

Target[002].Heading=0

Target[003].Type=windsock

Target[003].Offset=50.621,682.426

Target[003].Heading=0

….

Target[011].Type=tent1

Target[011].Offset=-89.905,-13.091

Target[011].Heading=90

Target[013].Type=fueltank3

Target[013].Offset=-262.016,198.778

Target[013].Heading=-271

Target[014].Type=fueltank3

Target[014].Offset=-269.597,514.062

Target[014].Heading=274.5

Target[056].Type=fueltank3

Target[056].Offset=222.86,98.884

Target[056].Heading=182

Target[057].Type=fueltank3

Target[057].Offset=222.86,-93.519

Target[057].Heading=175

Target[068].Type=AAA

Target[068].Offset=-249.352,678.876

Target[068].Heading=314

Planning Map

This is the file "PlanningMap.bmp" and it is found in the desert.cat file in the terrain folder. To use the third zoom level (2048 pixel map) you need to change the following in the desert.ini file from this:

NumZoomLevels=2

;NumZoomLevels=3

To just this...

NumZoomLevels=3

That's the briefing map... The inflight map is based on the actual terrain tiles over which you are flying..

The Paran and Dhimar map is 1000km x 1000km... TK has used data in the metric system for SFP1. Conversions are made as necessary... It is based on digital elevation maps from the USGS and is the actual terrain of Mozambique... The bit of island on the north end of the map is actually the west coast of Madagascar... "Mosak, Dhimar" is actual

SFeditNotes.zip

• Like 1