Hi community,

First up, a belated Merry Christmas to everybody, and wishing y'all a fantastic 2016!

Now, I have this weird issue in all of my Thirdwire sims where sometimes, I will get to the I.P, and after looking / scanning etc, I cannot find the target at all. I radio base, and the option for 'direction to primary target' etc are greyed out, so I cannot gain any more info that way. I can fly around and around a target area scanning, and find nothing at all.

Usually in this instance I just accept a 'mission failed' and fly back to base.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks as always,

Andrew.

I'll answer because no one else has yet. I've never seen this before, but I've had every install suddenly fail to load. So I wonder, when was the last time you ran an update? Maybe a critical file has become corrupted?

The last patch that I ran was for July 2013, and on top of that was a small patch, for the patch (lol) that was here at Combatace.

I've had no crashes at all in sim, only occasionally not being able to see / locate targets as stated, almost like the sim forgets to put the target in place. I will keep on analyzing, and work out if it happens at any regular intervals.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

This X-ACT thing has been happening in my full merge every since I moved up to SF2 from SE1. I HAVE NOT BEN ABLE TO FIND OUT WHY !!!! So I back out to MAIN SCREEN and restart the mission with no hit to my pilot stats. It usually runs fine the second time thru for me BUT it is ANNOYING AS HELL. Good Luck in the search for the cause !!

Do you use the T button to locate the enemy targets?

Usually when you approach waypoint 4 or 5 you should be able to locate the enemy targets by pressing T if the target is aircraft or E if the target is on the ground. Normally you should be able to see the enemy targets (without pressing T) from longer ranges when flying with radar equipped aircrafts. 

Do you use mission editor for editing missions? If so, don't change default parameters such as take off times or home bases because you 'll probably mess it up. I have tried many times to change these parameters by taking into account take off times, waypoint distances etc but still no luck.

Maybe ShrikeHawk is right. If a critical file is the problem then you should reinstall the game.

Does it happen on stock terrain or modder made terrains? Could it be, that there are no enemy planes at all? Test it with pressing F6.

I think such things can happen if you fly a modder made plane in a timeframe, where no other planes are available.

It should depend on the mission...

If it's an AA mission and the enemies (main target) have been engaged and destroyed by others AI fighters or friendly AAA, it's normal.

If it's a anti_ship mission, the cargo / tanker appears on time, not when reaching the way point. If you're early, you just have to wait.

I suppose it's the same for armed reconnaissance, when the main target is a convoy of trucks.

And I'm sure that CAS mission are often completed by friendly ground fire, but the mission status is success in this case.

The first time I remember this accruing was on a bombing run in ODS in the USMC F-18 .Though It happens in all installs and aircraft across the board . I have seen it in all stock TW full 5 merge and in ODS ,Falklands ,KOREA ,Modern Korea and Green Hell.  I do use the T button and the target is just not there ( once just see what would happen I ran out of fuel look for the target visually ). I Have only seen this with ground targets. When this occurs the mission is all ways a FAIL hinse the back out and rerun.