Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

Dual GeForce 6800 features 1 GB of RAM!

1 Gigabyte of video RAM? Damn! Here's a link to the article at Tom's hardware: LINK

There was a test done on HardOCP of a 256MB card vs a 512MB one. They could fine only ONE game where they saw any difference, and they had to crank it up to 1600x1200 w/heavy FSAA/AF on and even THEN we're talking 15% or so faster only.

Considering the price was $200 higher for the 512 card, I think it's currently a waste of money to go over 256!

The Jedi Master

Well, sure, new tech is always a waste of money when it first comes out. That's just the cycle of hardware :) It will eventually be a necessity...

Well, sure, new tech is always a waste of money when it first comes out.  That's just the cycle of hardware :) It will eventually be a necessity...

I built a high-end system for a friend, in January of 1999, and at his request, used the largest hard drive available at the time (17 GB). I recall telling a coworker about all the goodies that were going into this monster, and his response was something to the effect of "A 17 Gig harddrive! What the hell is he going to do with all that storage space?"

Nowadays, my collection of patches, updates, and addons for the half-

dozen sims I play wouldn't fit on so small a drive!

Well, the difference is a drive stays useful for a long time. A video card doesn't need over 256MB RAM now. By the time it DOES need 512MB (which is what that card really has, as it's split between the 2 chips), the card will have been surpassed by the next generation.

I'd rather spend $400 now and then $400 18 months later or so on the next-gen card than $900 now and try to make the card last 3 years! ;)

The Jedi Master

Never said it was smart. I happen to agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm just saying you shouldn't argue down a new tech just because it's expensive ;)

& there are rumours of SLi versions of cards like these!

that would be 4 gpus & 2Gb of video RAM :shok: