Sign in to follow this  
bobd

Need help installing WOV

Hi,

I wanted to remove & reinstall WOV because I was having problems. I tried removing it in the normal way, but it wouldn't work. Eventually I deleted the WOV folder, then went to registry removing everything to do with Wings Over Vietnam, WOV, & Third Wire. When I try to reinstall I'm asked if I want remove all of the program? then appears to remove files. Bottom lines is I can't reinstall WOV because theirs something left. Can anyone suggest what in the registry files might be removed so I can reinstall the game? I had all patches installed & I'm using winxp home. Any help is appreciated, thanks. :help:

mmm, does it let you install WoV into a different folder than the Default folder?

I installed WoV only once, so I doubt I will be of much help on this. I have un~installed and installed Strike Fighters at least twice...I think.

I can't get that far. Something makes setup think it's still installed.

Make a folder called WOV and install it there. If if ask you touninstall it even though you dont have it installed, say yes. Then it will install.

Can't get that far, it wants to uninstall. Setup is finding something that makes it think WOV is still installed.

Can't get that far, it wants to uninstall.  Setup is finding something that makes it think WOV is still installed.

Sounds like there is still a registy entry that was missed.

It must be something not obvious that only 3rd wire knows. I emailed them for some help, but they didn't have the courtesy to reply.

How about trying this:

Manually delete the the WoV folder and it's contents from windows. Then download and install CCleaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ ).

Start CCleaner, hit the "issues" tab, then hit the "scan for issues" button. If and when it finds any issues, select them all, and fix them. Keep repeating the process over and over until CCleaner reports that it cannot find any more issues. Then, repeat the process on "applications". When you're finished, restart windows, and try to install WoV.

I hope this works for you.

Thanks Fubar, but no joy. Guess I'll put it on the self till my next clean install.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by bobd

There's one more thing to try before you call it quits...

If you have an antivirus program, make sure it's updated, and run it. Also, did you make any restore points in XP before you started having this problem?

Edited by Fubar512

Unfortunately I didn't have a restore point. I should never do anything important after midnight. :wacko:

I got it. Had to find and remove the right install shield folder, then no problem.