Sign in to follow this  
LightningIII

Modifying an old terrain to use updated tilesets

Question for our terrain masters:

While I'm sure this question will peg me as a total noob at terrain editing (which I am), I've been trying to modify the Ostseeausgang terrain to utilize Stary's Germany V3/ Rends Rework (I found no similar project already undertaken, but please correct me if I'm wrong). In order to get the game to recognize the new tiles, I copy/pasted the segment of the _data.ini found in the Germany tile packs which refers to the tiles. The results are mostly perfect with the exception of the land/sea transition areas, which appear to be referring to tiles which do not exist in the Stary/Rends pack and show up as pink in the TFD tool (see image). Other than manually going through and changing the tiles in the editor, is there a quicker way to get the right tiles there?

post-61778-0-32599100-1454125769.png

yes, find out WHICH tiles they are, and make new ones to match.

I can tell you right now, they're ***50.tga, a just by looking at their positions.

Might want to make see if they're city/sea or farm/sea. Zoom in on the missing tile, and hit (whichever key it is for "info" and it'll tell you what tile it is.

you (usually) cannot simply copy/paste tile statments form one data ini to another, due to the differing naming conventions, and positions in data ini, which are writtein to the TFD.

Which means, they should only be added via the TE. Which will require the full texture list ini for that terrain.

terrain work is the single, hardest thing around (after cockpit modeling). It is NOT something the inexperienced should attempt.

also, to lower the frustration index, you might want to get in contact with Gepard, who built it, and is working on a camaign mod. (see Missions and Campaigns Forum, "Panslavic Wars" thread. Perhaps he's updated the terrain?

Im working to update the terrain a little bit to make the campaign running smoothly.

The new tiles i have made when i created BalticEntrance Terrain are all in the folder Ostseeausgang.

The files are:

[Texture124]
Filename=SEA2FARM75x2.TGA

[Texture125]
Filename=Feldflugplatz.BMP

[Texture126]
Filename=SEA2FARM25.TGA

[Texture127]
Filename=SEA2Farm25b.TGA

[Texture128]
Filename=Sea2Farm50.TGA

[Texture129]
Filename=SEA2Farm50b.TGA

The terrain update will not include any new tiles. It will include some new target areas for use as strategic knots in the campaign

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

Thanks for your help - I did a quick swap in the INI's and its looking great now. I'd already made a few minor edits to a couple of areas, primarily Copenhagen and updating the airbase transition tiles.

Gerpard, I've now looked at your Panslavic War thread - it looks awesome, and I'm certainly not looking to steal your thunder. I was actually starting a 70s/80s era mod, so same terrain but totally different flight experience. It was going to be kind of based upon RSR and Wargame Airland Battle.

I'd be happy to work in collaboration with you insofar as our projects are related, potentially even as an expansion pack ala TSF. I can send you the terrain edits if you're at all interested, and the more campaign friendly targets ini would be awesome for me. I presume you've been using Wrench's tweaks as well? I'm looking into the feasibility of a Soviet Amphibious landing in Denmark using the SF2NA mechanics.

For amphibious landings are targetareas already set in the released terrain. You must look for "Beachhead ----"

In Denmark you will find 5 sea landing points. You find one of them on the islands of Bornholm, Falster, Lolland, Sjalland and Fynn.

Landing points on westgerman coast you find near the town of Oldenburg/Holstein and the village of Kalifornien.

On the map in the yellow circles.

post-3395-0-75548700-1454233980_thumb.jpg

The updated, still WIP Ostseeausgang_targets.ini you find here:Ostseeausgang_targets.zip

I added some new bridges, mostly in East Germany, 3 rows of target areas for easy creating strategic knots (still have to be renamed, at the Moment they are called PQ something. PQ is a german short word for Planquadrat (grid square) the attached numbers relates to the place on the map).

Then i placed 3 static ships north of the polish coast to avoid campaign anomalies, that suddenly swedish bases were used, even when Sweden was set for neutral.

Some SAM sites have reworked too.

At the moment there are 358 target areas. In the old terrain it were only 297.

Edited by Gepard

easy way to get around the neutral issue, is simply remove all the target areas in Sweden (sorry, JRL!!)

easy way to get around the neutral issue, is simply remove all the target areas in Sweden (sorry, JRL!!)

Bad idea. My future plans are making some other What if! campaigns. Sweden vs WP or Sweden vs Denmark. For this i need the swedish targetareas.

I found out, that campaign anomalies in the kind, that airbases were in the wrong hands can be avoided if you has a line of "non-airfield" target areas between the airfields of the opposing sides or between the neutral airbases and friendly/enemy airbases.

There is also

[NeutralLocation]
Neutral001=4
Neutral002=5
Neutral003=6

from SF2I campaigns

I've attached my still very WIP TFD with the new data.ini. Needs to be in the same folder with the Stary/Rends Germany tiles/tods etc obviously. I'm working on some new targets as well, which is kind of a necessity in the cities because of how dense the TODs are in the new tiles. Do you have any plans to modernize some of the port targets? 

Do335 - what INI would that be going into? There doesn't seem to be an appropriate space in either a campaign or terrain INI.

newtileset.zip

Edited by LightningIII

Do335 - what INI would that be going into? There doesn't seem to be an appropriate space in either a campaign or terrain INI.

As he wrote, such statements are present in some campaign inis from SF2I.

Edited by blaze95

^yah. But was just idea about that airbase problem. No biggie.

There is also

[NeutralLocation]
Neutral001=4
Neutral002=5
Neutral003=6

from SF2I campaigns

I know. This is not new. It came with WOI. Of course i have this entries in teh campaigns_data.ini. But the AI sometimes ignores neutral locations and sometimes you can even get enemy captured airbases although no ground campaign is running and the frontline shows a different thing. With a line of non airfield targetareas this behaviour is to avoid.

I dont know why the AI is working in that way.

Edited by Gepard