Wrench

Even if you don't want Win10 ...

10 isnt too bad, butvif you've got a 7 system running good shut down updates altogether and leave it be

Saved my bacon!

Look what would have loaded on my system at 3 am.

win10.png

Luckily I was able to hide the update and change my settings so the system notifies me of the updates but does nothing with them until I say it's okay.

win10-1.png

This is going to be a nightmare for small and medium businesses.  I have a feeling that quite a few lawsuits will be filed shortly.

• Like 1

Claw's "howtogeek" link has a series of good tactical moves to offset Microsoft's Windows 10 initiative.  Windows Update KB3035583 is the culprit, and I removed it from my system about eight months ago (after trying to turn off the icon and its notifications) with no aftereffects and it has not returned.  I use Windows 7 because it works, and just like my old laptop still uses XP - it works!  And I don't think I'm being overly naive - Windows 7 is dated and will run out of support someday, and if I build another system it will be with a clean install of Windows 10 (or 11 or 12...) anyway, so the upgrade software would have just taken up space.    

People need to be really careful here, a couple of months ago I thought I'd give 10 a try, but beforehand I made sure all my various drivers were up to date etc THEN I cloned that drive to a brand new harddrive.

After the installation a welcome screen appeared and that was as far as I got....no matter what I did I could get no inputs from my mouse or keyboard, both are wired USB Logitech items, after a trip to the attic to try various other old keyboard and mice combinations the same problem was still there.

Luckily I just swapped out that drive and put the cloned win 7 one back in and everything was fine again

After searching the web for answers for the lock up at welcome screen problems I found it was not an uncommon issue, some folks had luck with just swapping the keyboard and or mouse, others like me had none !

Not everyone will have had the fore thought or knowledge to make a backup drive before hand,what then ?? A drive will all your precious stuff that you can't access.

Be aware folks.

is hiding the W10 update (so it displays as grey on the list) sufficient? I don't know how it's called on english version of W7, "hiding" might be not the best word

Been using 10 since it came out........I doubt the Enterprise version will have this update feature its purely to make 10 home more like a tablet OS for dummies ......businesses don't deploy updates the same way (or shouldn't be)

You can still stop it updating Hardware drivers as before which I do.......also see here (includes a utility to hide updates) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

You can still view and uninstall updates from the programs and features as before

I have updated 10 to the latest 10 build (think rebuild) and shock it actually kept all my apps and files in the right place (It just upgraded the NVIDIA drivers to the latest so had to install the older ones) - but all the app config was still there.

Have even done the full reset on my tablet........again can keep all your settings. 

Sundowner that's interesting to hear, I've rebuilt a desktop outta two separate ones and swapped HDs on two separate laptops and updated all to Win 10. Generic drivers worked fine until I got Firefox up (didn't like IE and don't care for Edge)then connected the laptops with manufacturers sites and auto detect the drivers. The desktop is still on Win 10s generic drivers all except sound. That's my experience with it but at the moment only one system will be remotely close to a game system the others were for the kids to do school work or wife to do office work on. But that's just my experience.

Gosh! Thanks for the Heads up, I won't have known! Damn all behemoth multi-national corporations, thumbs down Microsoft  :nono:

I have said it before and it bares repeating.....if you have 7, keep it. I had 8.1 that came with this computer and 10 is so much better compared to it. I couldnt get rid of 8.1 fast enough. 

What i've seen nobody talking about is...will minesweeper be back?

• Like 1