So this is a double post I already asked this in a previous threat but I figured it would be good to ask...The pilot head movement in the MiG-29 cockpits has always been super cool!  Is that effect copyable in other cockpits? I think that effect would be pretty cool in say a mirage or a tomcat.  Its a rather small thing but is very engrossing and makes the realism go up in my humble opinion.  Sorry for always asking so many questions CA I have tons of Ideas but absolutely no knowledge of how to implement them in the game...

it's ini workaround I think but can't say for sure from top of myhead, so yeah could be to an extend -I guess you refer to the pilot's reactions to turns etc?

Well, I've just flown the MiG-29K, and it appears to be the entire 3D model of the cockpit that moves. I've also checked the cockpit.ini, and these are the lines that make the movement:

[MNC01]
Type=BANK_INDICATOR
NodeName=MNC01
MovementType=ROTATION_Z
ValueUnit=DEG
Set[01].Position=0
Set[01].Value=0
Set[02].Position=-1.750
Set[02].Value=75
Set[03].Position=-1.750
Set[03].Value=105
Set[04].Position=0
Set[04].Value=180
Set[05].Position=1.750
Set[05].Value=255
Set[06].Position=1.750
Set[06].Value=285
Set[07].Position=0
Set[07].Value=360

[MNC02]
Type=BANK_INDICATOR
NodeName=MNC02
MovementType=ROTATION_X
ValueUnit=DEG
Set[01].Position=0
Set[01].Value=0
Set[02].Position=1.50
Set[02].Value=170
Set[03].Position=1.50
Set[03].Value=190
Set[04].Position=0
Set[04].Value=360

[MNC03]
Type=ACCELEROMETER
NodeName=MNC03
MovementType=ROTATION_X
Set[01].Position=1.5
Set[01].Value=-3.0
Set[02].Position=0.0
Set[02].Value=1.0
Set[03].Position=-2.50
Set[03].Value=8.0

[MNC04]
Type=ACCELEROMETER
NodeName=MNC04
MovementType=POSITION_Z
Set[01].Position=0.01
Set[01].Value=-2.50
Set[02].Position=0.0
Set[02].Value=1.0
Set[03].Position=-0.02
Set[03].Value=8.0

[MNC05]
Type=ACCELEROMETER
NodeName=MNC05
MovementType=POSITION_Y
Set[01].Position=0.0
Set[01].Value=1.0
Set[02].Position=0.05
Set[02].Value=8.0

I don't think it's possible to get this working in other cockpits, as it appears to be an animation. I've thought of changing the NodeName, but it's calling an animation (I think). I'm not a cockpit modder so it might be possible, but from the experience I have, it doesn't seem like it is.

the animation has to be built into the cockpit meshes themselves. can't be added by a text edit

None of those parameters are calling for an animation. The game itself actually can make to move many things/ways without any actual animation at all.

To have it as animation you need to have one of the following entries:

In first case, the movement of the cockpit item is triggered by an animation built into the aircraft model itself, not the cockpit. The game moves the item based on the given parameters, rotation(axis) and degree of with start and end points.

[Canopyhandle]
Type=EXTERNAL_ANIMATION_LINK <----- instrument system type
NodeName=Canopyhandle
MovementType=ROTATION_X <----- movement type and its axis, where motion will be created by the game engine (can be also _Y, _Z, or Position_X, _Y, _Z for linear movements)
Set[01].Position=0.0
Set[01].Value=0.0
Set[02].Position=40.0
Set[02].Value=1.0
ItemNumber=8  <--- animation ID in the aircraft model that triggers movement

The second case, has a built in animation, and its use is triggered by an animation in the aircraft model.
[Canopy]
Type=EXTERNAL_ANIMATION_LINK
NodeName=Canopyb
MovementType=ANIMATION   <--- actual animation
AnimationID=1  <--- animation ID in the cockpit model
ItemNumber=8  <--- animation ID in the aircraft model

The trigger mechanism or system type for an animation set up can be other then external_animation, but that way they are rarely used by us.

As to the original idea.

In order to implement the same kind of shaking you will need 5 mesh which are built into the model in a certain liked way so the movement of any of the 5 will affect the given cockpit section as a whole. Unless you have that or have access to the sourcefile of the pit, you are unlikely to make that happen on other pits, like others already said above. Although you can experiment with one type of movement, if mesh linkage allows that.

This is a segment from the mig29 cockpit out file, if you look at it you will see the relations.

MNC05 (1 polys, 3 verts) '<No Material>'
      MNC04 (1 polys, 3 verts) '<No Material>'
            MNC03 (1 polys, 3 verts) '<No Material>'
                  MNC02 (1 polys, 3 verts) '<No Material>'
                        MNC01 (1 polys, 3 verts) '<No Material>'
                                 Cilindro04 (80 polys, 240 verts) '15 - Predeterminado'
                                 Rectángulo09 (2 polys, 6 verts) '08 - Predeterminado'
                                 Rectángulo12 (4 polys, 12 verts) '08 - Predeterminado'
                                 HUDCajaC (28 polys, 84 verts) '15 - Predeterminado'
                                 HUDCajaA (2303 polys, 6909 verts) 'CajaHUD'
                                         HUDCajaB (328 polys, 984 verts) 'CajaHUD'
                                         HUDSoporte (1000 polys, 3000 verts) 'CajaHUD'
                                                  HUD (82 polys, 246 verts) 'HUD'
Edited by logan4
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi,
      after seeing the TMF F-14 has wrong and inaccurate speed and fuel indicators, i found out the default Third Wire F-14 has working and accurate ones, but i dont wanna use it cause the TMF Tomcat is better and the cockpit too more realistic too, so can you switch the speed and fuel indicators on the TMF F-14 with the default Third Wire F-14? And for fuel too? Do you need to 3D model and/or do something else other than edit some text files?
       And is it or it's not possible to do?
      Down here are 2 pictures from the correct cockpit in the default Third Wire F-14:

And 2 from the TMF F-14 (the inaccurate one):

Thanks for helping.
    • By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I just noticed that the speed indicator in the F-14 Tomcat by TMF (TheMirageFactory) only shows up to 800 kts, and the Mach indicator does not move, not letting you know the speed of the aircraft if you have your HUD turned off.
      As you can see down here, i'm at Mach 2.23, but the indicator only shows 800 kts and doesn't go above. Obviously it adapts to my altitude, so if i'm higher, then the IAS is lower, but still should move, making it impossible flying at high speed without HUD turned on as i have it down here:

Another issue, maybe even worse than the previous one, is that the fuel indicator shows wrong numbers, or as i may think, it shows "a number less". For example: if i have 20000 pounds of fuel left, it should show 20000, but it shows 02000. This is a theory on how it works, not confirmed, and i'm gonna explain you why i think it is like that:
      I hardly think i truly have 2000 pounds of fuel left, cause i choose Fuel 100% and tried climbing and flying for a long time with full afterburner, and the numbers slowly started going down, even reached the point of burning the engine at Mach 2.30and the fuel wasn't gone yet, it showed i had like 00700 left, so i presume it's 20000 in reality, otherwise i would have been out of fuel in no time, since it's a quantity even under the bingo quantity, but i flew for minutes and minutes in full afterburner, and at 8x speed, so. Speaking of Bingo, there's no bingo indicator.
      Here's a picture of the fuel indicator:

I tried the default F-14 cockpit, and even if that one shows correctly both speed and fuel indicators and even if it's a great cockpit, i personally like more and find more realistic and immersive the TMF one.
      In the end, since these two indicators are crucial, especially for flying without HUD, and the fuel indicator especially, since there's no way to know how much fuel you have left even with HUD turned on other than the cockpit indicator.
      So, what i'm asking is:
      Is there a way to fix these? A mod that remakes the indicators? Or another cockpit that is not the default one that i can use to swap this one?
      Thanks in advance for helping me.
    • By muhammad
      Hi everyone!
      after few miles of scrolling .INI files and testing everything on the game
      FINALY:
      " Cockpit Shadows " !!
      --!  enabling process is same for each plane  ! --
      --!  enabling process should apply on each plane you like to have cockpit shadows on 'em  ! --
      --!  Be Advised !: This "Cockpit Shadows" has some little BUGs so we all should work on it together to make it better  !-- 
      It's better than nothing :D

* Q: How to enable Cockpit Shadows?
      - A: All you need to do is to make a .INI file with the same name and right at the place your chosen plane cockpit 3D file ( .LOD ) is located.
      Example: 
      !! [  Cockpit file are located at the folder with the same name (most of the times)  ] !!
      SHO to Viper team F-16 BLK 30 to act like a test plane 

here the plane's Cockpit 3D model is the LOD file named " Cockpit_F-16C_B30.LOD " and above of that, our personally made .INI file;
      Now
      Inside the .INI file we should drop this :

[Shadow]
      CastShadow=TRUE
      ShadowCastDist=5000
      MaxVisibleDistance=800 
      -------------------------------------------------
      * you are free to change the numbers  
      -------------------------------------------------

here's an example file which you have to change it's name to the plane's cockpit file name !
      plane's cockpit file name.INI

*with this simple trick you can enable shadows for every .LOD file.
      feel free to ask.

alexis99 thanks for that little help

sorry for bad English :)
      hope ya'll enjoy!
      one love.

plane's cockpit file name.INI
    • By LaoHu
      Would it be possible to put a photograph in your cockpit? Often pilots are shown to have a photo of a loved one inside their cockpit attached to the dashboard to remind them of home, give them inspiration, etc. Would it be possible to stick one in a cockpit through some kind of texture edit or something? 
    • By MrMaxterX

View File Simple Cockpit - Fly the unflyable aircrafts
      This mods allows you to fly the following aircraft (doesn't include all the variants);
      Many thanks to Trevisol for making the mod and sending me the file with his permission to download
      A-1 A-6 AN-12 B-57 F-104 E-2C EA-6B F-84F IL-28 J-6 MIG-15 MIG-17 MIG-19 MIG-21 MIG-23 MIG-27 Mirage 5 Spitfire SU-7 TU-16 TU-22 TU-95 Vampire Vautour YAK-23 YAK-38 This mod is just a simple addon that adds a few pre existing cockpit into a lot of aircraft that was not allowed for the player to use, only the AI.
      Since it's lightweight, it use the already included cockpits of the F-8, P-51, Mirage and a few other aircraft, with a couple of changes here and there;
      Submitter MrMaxterX Submitted 12/14/2022 Category Jet Cockpits  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..