Sign in to follow this  
RUSTYMORLEY

OLDER CATS

From time to time I have found that the forums which can be found here at this site can prove to be an invaluable source of information and good advice. And I thank the members at this site for answering my posts and indeed putting up their own concerns in the various forums. Now I have another issue which I would like to post.

I am the privileged owner of a somewhat older cat which I judge to be about 11-13 years old. His whiskers are grey and he moves a lot slower these days but for the most part he seems content and has a good appetite for chicken and special cat biscuits. Over the last winter and sometime before that I have noticed that he is sleeping a great deal more and staying put in his favorite chair which just happens to be my computer chair, and as a result of this I find myself having to sit on an old stool which sits in the corner of my spare bedroom. I just wondered if there are any members out there who have older cats living at home which seem to spend around 12 or more hours sleeping per day, going out at night for an hour or so to do their business and have a look around. I guess what I am asking is do you find that your older cats if you have any, spend most of their time asleep and is it common for them to stay indoors most of the time. Any replies or comments will be gratefully received. Thanks.

RUSTYMORLEY

Whole thing looks perfectly normal to me....

Well, from what I have read, as they age, they do sleep more. is common. I am a cat owner but my girl is 6yr old and playful still. If your cat rolls over and has appetite, then she shd be ok. you could always ask the vet or research online.

Have kept a few cats growing up. They always slept a lot towards the end and not around humans as much:(:( Thinking back I wish I could've spent more time with them those times. Very honestly 10+ is old age for cats so it needs care and love now. But each cat is different, a summer born cat is usually afraid of the cold for example and curls up in the winter.

Mine was 12 that time. 20 years ago.  I guess 12 hours of sleep is normal... if - otherwise not much to do and he's alone. Mine was still hunting mice and moles when 10

Two things I can say is important - teeth and food.  If his teeth will get inflamed and needs to be pulled out they cannot do it without anesthesia. And that proved to be fatal to an old heart. 

Food is important in that matter where it came from. Human food is stuffed with poisons and manipulated stuff (especially in the US) in a dose which can cause cancer in a human of 70-90kg only 20-30 years later but can do a quick job on a 3-4kg cat (or dog). You are clever to give him safe pet food (or naturally grown).

I have had a few cats (have 3 now). Kidney failure, especially in tomcats, is something to watch out for. If their drinking habits change (drinking less or drinking more) and/or when they start urinating more and in smaller quantities it's good to have them checked by a vet. You can can also check by pulling their skin. It has to stretch back almost immediately. If it doesn't it could be a sign of dehydration and kidney problems.

My tomcat (10yrs) hunts during the day and sleeps in the evening while the female cat sleeps during the day but hunts in the evening. (The third one is a kitten of 5 months and acts like a kitten should)

• Like 1

Having been owned cats and hand-reared kittens my entire life, I can tell you this is part of the normal slowing down process. The last time I had a cat pass away was four years ago. He was 19 and had been on the decline for a while. I could get up in the morning, go to work with him sleeping in his cat bed and come home 10-12 hours later to still find him there. He would find the energy to get up and greet me.

12+ is considered the geriatric phase of a cat's life in veterinary circles. They sleep more, eat less, have less playful energy, and as he gets even older, he may start having issues keeping himself clean. Trust me, the image of the dignified old housecat is totally false.

What you are seeing is normal. Keep loving him, keep playing with him when he has the energy. However, if you have any doubts, concerns, or reservations, the best thing you can do for peace of mind is take him to the vet and have him checked out. Cats are predators, but they are also a prey species, and their instincts are Darwinian. They don't broadcast that they are in any pain or discomfort. And while their methods of communication can be just as complex as language, it isn't like you can ask them what's wrong. If you see something that concerns you, go see a professional.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Okay thanks for your posts, it seems that cats have different behaviour patterns and personality traits similar to humans and as such have different lifestyles as well. Mine is asleep just about all day long and then goes out at night just for an hour or so to have a sniff around and do his business on someonelse's garden.

Thanks again for your posts and replies.

RUSTYMORLEY 

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY

On entering the thread I knida though we would be discussing the Grumman breeds... Bearcat, Tigercat, Panther, Cougar etc

Never actually owned a cat myself but several close relatives and neighbors had cats. Seems normal to me, only one of the 7 or so I was close to didn't follow this pattern... she was still chasing dogs when she was 19  :biggrin:

Craig