gitrdun

Point me to "how to mod" posts please

Have SF2 NA and Vietnam.

I have read quite a bit of the modding info that i can find (including this one  http://combatace.com/topic/62302-what-is-the-mod-folder/ ) but cant seem to find quite what i need to get things working.

I downloaded a tree mod file but it doesnt say anything about what folder it should be copied to. I created a mod folder, and here is a list of the folders within the mod folder.

Users/me/saved games/thirdwire/SF2Vietnam/

Controls

Missions

Objects > has two sub folders - Aircraft, and GroundObject

PilotData

ScreenShots

I cant find anything pertaining to terrain or anything else.

Is there a post with step by step directions for dummies?

Edited by gitrdun

Hey Gitrdun... I wanted my nam install to be simple but good so all I have in it is...:SF2....VN...the online-update...and the 4 part pack   --- http://combatace.com/topic/52002-sf2v-air-ground-war-expansion-pack-v20-sep-2014-update/... im even running the stock F-5A Free-fight ship...and no clutter, simple is good...

My NA install is separate...SF2...NA...online-update and the" Mirage Factory F-14A and F-14B Tomcat"---not the greatest, latest but great framerates...simple is good...

Edited by Tappedops

I cant find anything pertaining to terrain or anything else.

Is there a post with step by step directions for dummies?

Usually the Terrains\VietnamSEA folder in Nam....you have to create both: 

\\StrikeFighters2_VietnamGold\Terrains\VietnamSEA 

Can you link to the tree mod in question?

Gitrdun... I went through this whole thing just weeks ago...   the mod folder is made for you when your run the sim one time--- my so-called mod folder is born in my system (Windows8.1) at Desktop/My-name/Saved-games/Third Wire/SF2 Vietnam...so depending on your OS, your mod folder is going to be born somewhere---What windows operating system are you using?

Edited by Tappedops

Heres the mod i would like to try. http://combatace.com/files/file/9384-mixed-1x-and-2x-trees-for-greenhell2-and-germany4season-pack/ .

So if i understand correctly, i need to create the following folders within my "mod" folder?

Users/me/saved games/thirdwire/SF2Vietnam/Terrains/VietnamSEA

Is that right?

Yes .....just put the two TGA files in there.

Hold it though they are for Green Hell 2

I would advise Green Hell 3 for Vietnam.........hang on

This is what you want....come with trees and everything else

http://combatace.com/topic/79797-green-hell-35/

Edited by MigBuster

Nice, thanks.

My mods folder was created where it should be under Vista. However there are a few folders within the "mod" folder that just arent there.

Then, you create them

That's pretty obvious!   :biggrin:   In fact, I know some readme state "if the folder does not exist, simply create one" (of course, that assumes the mod creator actually wrote that INTO his readme!! Sometimes, it gets forgotten!)

I created the needed folders. That was the missing info i needed. Sometimes the obvious isnt so obvious. Installed the green hell 3-5 and i am amazed at the detail. Night and day difference. Very impressive.