Sign in to follow this  
Danstein

How to insert trees to jungle texture

There are nice trees in Strike Fighters. I would like to have the same in WoV. Is there any way how to insert trees to the flat fields of texture? What about any file conversion?

I think *.TOD files are the right. I can`t modify them because the files are coding. I can see letters but no words and many squares between them.

The info is contained in the .tod files. These need to be created using the TerrainEditor. I did a tutorial awhile back that you can read to get familiar with the process HERE

I've been working on adding the trees back and have about 12 tiles populated now. It's a slow tedious process since placement is one tree at a time.

wovt.jpg

Good ol' Deuces, the Johny Appleseed of the SF/WoV world!

Lookin' good. Looking real good!

Deuces isn't kidding when he says that it's tedious. i've tried it myself, and found it an absolutely mind-numbing process.

Nice work. I think I`ve downloaded TerainEditor. I`ll have to try this.

I tried it but I must do somethinq wrong. I tried it on VIETNAMJ1.bmp. I used editor and generated VietnamJ1.ini. There are 26 trees (4 sorts from 1 bmp like in your example).I think problem is with names of trees. The bmp with 4 trees names "4trees" (all 4 trees are located in 1 bmp). There are names tree1, tree2, tree3 and tree4 in VietnamJ1.ini. I copied 4trees. bmp to the VietnamSEA folder.

I haven`t any lod (VietnamJ1.lod) too.

I tried it but I must do somethinq wrong. I tried it on VIETNAMJ1.bmp. I used editor and generated VietnamJ1.ini. There are 26 trees (4 sorts from 1 bmp like in your example).I think problem is with names of trees. The bmp with 4 trees names "4trees" (all 4 trees are located in 1 bmp). There are names tree1, tree2, tree3 and tree4 in VietnamJ1.ini. I copied 4trees. bmp to the VietnamSEA folder.

I haven`t any lod (VietnamJ1.lod) too.

Danstein...give me a few and I will try to make it easier to grasp. I think you may be over engineering the process :grin:

Edited by Deuces

I unpacked Terrain Editor to a special folder on my HDD. Then I unpacked a VietnamSEA.cat to other folder. I copied VIETNAMJ1.bmp from this folder to Terrain Editor Folder.

I draw a picture of 4 trees in Photoshop. The picture is BMP with resolution 256x256 and names 4trees.bmp. There is 1 tree in each quater of a picture, so there are 4 trees. I copied the trees from similar picture from USAF by Jane`s. Тhe picture in USAF was tga but I converted it to BMP (I copied trees to 4trees.bmp from bmp to bmp, not from tga).

Then I used Terrain editor. I opened the terrain editor. I went to Texture List-Edit Object Map List, selected New - 4trees.bmp. I selected Alpha object. Next I clicked the Edit Object Type button and selected New. I selected X-tree, Width was 10, Height 20, coordinates of quaters in the picture by your system. I had 4 trees: Tree1, Tree2, Tree3, Tree4. So i leaved the dialogs and windows. I was in main screen and went to Texture List-SAVEd TEXTURE LIST.

Then I went to Texture List-Texture Map List. Selected the file VIETNAMJ1.bmp. 4trees.bmp was in Alpha Object map. I clicked Place Object. There wasn`t any number in scale field, so I wrote 2000. Then I clicked New and selected one of 4 trees in Object Type field and I entered random coordinates from 0 to 230 (x, y) and clicked on save. I I repeated it 26x. I had 26 white dots on the left picture. I closed the window and went to the main screen. I went to Texture List-SAVEdTEXTURE LIST. VietnamJ1.ini file originated.

I deleted VietnamSEA.cat fto WoV and copied unpacked files fom VietnamSEA.cat to WoV to right position. So I copied VietnamJ1.ini,VietnamJ1.bmp and 4trees.bmp to this folder in WoV.

I started WoV, and tried mission with F-4/1967/iron hand in single mission. This mission started over mountains I go to 200 feets flew many miles but can`t sее any tree. All values in graphisc are high.

Well you certainly have the process down..sorry if I sounded like I needed to dumb it down, was not my intention.

The tree file you add to your terrain folder need to be a tga w/an alpha channel (32 bit) not bmp. Only a bmp in the terrain folder. You also need to copy over the VietnamJ1.tod that was created when you saved the terrain. That will be in your terrain folder.

Well. Should I open a VIETNAMSEA.HFD file before I open a TEROBJECT_TREES1.tga file? If I open tga file of tree I can`t see any picture of tree on a half to the left in a Object Texture Dialog box. Is it OK?

And the program generated only a VietnamJ1.ini file but no VietnamJ1.tod. What shall I do to generate .tod file?

Well. Should I open a VIETNAMSEA.HFD file before I open a TEROBJECT_TREES1.tga file? If I open tga file of tree I can`t see any picture of tree on a half to the left in a Object Texture Dialog box. Is it OK? 

And the program generated only a VietnamJ1.ini file but no VietnamJ1.tod. What shall I do to generate .tod file?

Your tree image needs to be a bmp in the editor folder. It needs to be a tga in the game folder. Even though your chossing a bmp in the editor, the game will know to look for a tga for object textures. In order for the tod to be created, you'll open the hfd file...add your trees....then save the terrain from the editor. I'd suggest saving it in a new folder created within the editor folder. This way you'll see new files created easier. One other thing, once saved, you'll need to open the VIETNAMSEA_DATA.ini file (assuming your working on the WOV terrain), find the tile you've added trees to, in this case VietnamJ1.

Look for

[Texture013]

Filename=vietnamJ1.BMP

HasWater=0

Color=0.151090,0.235939,0.157972

SolidObjectTexture=

AlphaObjectTexture=terobject_trees1.tga <--add this

Thank you very much. I`ll have to try it. I had a little problem yesterday. I opened the vietnamsea.hfd file. I acomplished usual operaitons with picture of tree and VIETNAMJ1.bmp. Finally I saved hfd file but the Trerrain Editor didn`t save the file and the program only fell down back to Windows. I have Windows XP Pro SP1 (not SP2) with all other hotfixes.

I`ll try it by your advices.

Sorry but I have another problem. When would be tod file generated? After I save texture list with texture map or after saving In main window (File->Save/Save as../Save All)? When I save texture, tod isn`t generated and when I try to save hfd, Terrain Editor fall down with this statement (from Windows "crash dialog box"): AppName: terraineditor.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: terraineditor.exe

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00017c89

Danstein-It would be created once you save the the map...save as.

I'm not sure why it's crashing. Check the TerrainEditor.ini and confirm all the paths to files are correct.

I wasn`t successful. A unpacked Terrain Editor into a default folder on my system disc (by info in TerrainEditor.in).

At first I opened VIETNAMSEA.HFD file. Then I worked with tree bmp. Then I saved it and the program generated a texture.ini file (exactly name I don`t know I am on other PC now). There were written positions of trees on the bmp/tga tree pictures. Then I opened the vietnamJ1.BMP file and inserted the trees to the texture map (120 pieces of trees). I saved texture and terrain Editor generated vietnamJ1.ini file. Then I clicked Save in File menu, program generated VIETNAMSEA.ini file and fell down back to the Windows with a crash table see above (the same problem with save as, etc.). Any tod or lod file didn`t generated.

I am trying to solve my problem still. May be I find any solution. Someone could be faster with giving back trees to the simulator.

Could I consult my progress in detail step-by-step? From new clear instalation of the TerrainEditor. May be an error otherwhere.

Could I consult my progress in detail step-by-step? From new clear instalation of the TerrainEditor. May be an error otherwhere.

Tell me how your going about installing it completely...lets see if we can figure out where the problem is.

Hi. My first steps. I created following directories on my D disc. The D disc (partition) is my system disc.

D:\projects\ThirdWire\proj\WrightFlyer\Data\Terrain\

D:\projects\ThirdWire\util

D:\projects\ThirdWire\proj\FlightSim\Data\TerrainEditor\

Then I unpacked the Terrain editor program to the util directory and created in the TerrainEditor a new directory. The directory named Target so the way is:

D:\projects\ThirdWire\util\TerrainEditor\Target\

In the TerrainEditor directory is a directory System too.

To a Terrain directory I copied a VIETNAMSEA.HDF file and to The Target directory I copied a NAMTree.bmp, NAMTree.tga and VIETNAM1.BMP files. NAMTree.bmp and NAMTree.tga are images of trees.