FE2_and_FE1_Dogfightv2.2.zip

View File

Dogfight version 2.2 for Thirdwire Simulators (Series 1 and Series 2)

Dogfight is a quick mission generator much like Microsofts Quick Combat and
Ubisofts Quick Mission Builder.
This simple little program is an attempt to add similar facility to Thirdwire products
without editing Mission files by hand, or struggling with a complex Mission Editor.
So, using it you should be up and flying against a selected opponent within a few
seconds (once you're use to the system anyway!).

As a template for the Missions I used a standard 1v1 fighter encounter so the action
begins very close together (2 km seperation for WWI types, slightly further for faster types).

To use you:
1)Start Dogfight.
2)Select aircraft types, numbers and heights, Pilot training etc.
3)Press the Red WRITE MISSIONbutton.
4)LEAVE Dogfight running.
5)Start the Thirdwire Simulator.
6)Go to the Single Mission page and then Load Mission Menu.
7)Click on the name of the mission that you just created in dogfight(default is "0 Dogfight").

8)When you want to change the mission click on Alt and Tab simultaneously.
9)Select Dogfight, make your changes and then press the red GENERATE button.
10)Return to the Thirdwire Simulator by clicking it on the task bar (or alt tabbing if you prefer).
11)ALWAYS RESELECT THE MISSION from the Single Mission-Load Misiion Menu to update the information.
12)Play the mission!

Repeat 8-12 as many times as you want

This sounds a bit long winded but you do soon get used to it.

Installion
-------------
Unzip Dogfight.zip.

Find the folder called Dogfightv2.2 containing:
templates (folder)
df.cfg
df.exe
readme.txt

COPY Dogfightv2.2 INTO THE TOP LEVEL OF THE DIRECTORY WHERE YOU INSTALL YOUR MODS
i.e Dogfightv2.2 and Objects are at the same level.

OPEN THE Dogfightv2.2 FOLDER AND CREATE A SHORTCUT FROM DF.exe TO YOUR DESKTOP
(or wherever you want to launch if from).

Testing
--------
DogFight has been tested with:
FE1 and FE2 (Viurtually all of the aircraft from CombatAce and the Skunkworks with Peter01 fms)
SF1 (chiefly SCW)
WOE (Principally Wings Over Russia and Wings Over Africa).
SF2, and SFNA2, (Skunkworks PTO) (CombatAce BOB) and with additional aircraft thrown in.
I've also tried it with some early Korean War era jets.
Only briefly tried it with more modern types.

The program was written using Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2010 C++ and FLTK.
FLTK (Fast Light Toolkit) is a great free package for constructing GUIs really quickly and easily.
Without it I doubt that I would have had time to write this program.

Thanks

Thanks to TK for creating a marvellous set of Sims. I love the way they work with TrackIR.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the many add on creators at Combatace and
the Skunkworks who have given me many hours of great gaming.

I hope Dogfight helps to provide some entertainment for Thirdwire Simulator Users.

Hello

It looks good, but I have a problem, I have the following message when opening :

Loading Configuration data

Finding DefaultAircraftFinding Aircraft.........................................
.........................................................................Finding
 Locations...
Path not found: [..\Terrain]
Finding Formations...
Finding Nations...

Followed by 

I Haven't got a mission template for this sim

Any idea ?

Shall I extract some data ?

Not : I tested the SF2 version for Nato5 and it worked well

Thank you in advance

Hi glad it's working for you with SF2!

There could be several reasons - but since you've got it working in SF2 it's probably not just the wrong directory.

There is one that I've only just discovered - If you're version of First Eagles is unmodded it won't work!

Open the first Eagles directory where you dropped the FE2 version of dogfight. (The outer directory should be called Dogfightv2.2)

This should be the directory where you would drop mods to First Eagles.

Does it have a Terrain (first eagles) or Terrains (first eagles 2)? 

The terrains targets.ini file is used to create a start point for the sim - if there is no terrain here the game won't work!

It used to use a default position in the location.tpl file - but now it seems to ignore that!.

If this is the reason the simplist way of correcting this is to create a Terrains directory and pull the  WWICAMBRAI_TARGETS.INI out of the cat files and drop it in the terrains directory.

If this isn't it or you have trouble extracting the file I have some other ideas

Gary

also, check the encoding -- SF2 & FE2 use unicode. SF1 & FE1 use ANSI. Try opening the file, and save as... and look for the drop down, and select ANSI

Hi,

Thanks for the comment Wrench - it does work with either ANSI or unicode though.

But I've managed to cock up my default locations. If it can't find Terrain or Terrains folders it now throws a wobbly instead of using the default.

Actually looking at the code I realised that it doesn't need any files. If you just make a directory called terrains (terrain for FE1) and then create a directory call wwiCambrai inside it that is enough, If you want Verdun as well then add another directory called wwiVerdun.

I'll update the progs to remove this feature!!!

As I mentioned before though this may not be the problem - but since you got it working on SF2 I suspect that it's something a bit obscure!

Gary.

By the way Wrench thanks for all add ons!!! It's a truly staggering amount of work!!!

I am under FE2 and I have a Teerains directories

Under each terrain (cambrai and Verdun) I have the in each diredctory the corresponding traget.ini file

:biggrin:

you're welcome!

Is the Dogfightv2.2 sitting in the directory alongside the terrains directory and the Options,ini file?

i.e.

(There could be other folders and files as well)

Controls

Dogfightv2.2

Objects

Terrains

Options.ini

And if you open the Dofightv2,2 directory do you see:

Templates (this is a directory)

df,cfg

df.exe

readme.txt

In the initial black command prompt box does it look like its finding the aircraft?

Should be a dot for each aircraft found.

I think I might release another version with the bug I mentioned earlier fixed and with a log

so that I can see what's happening.

Thanks for you're time in helping me to try and resolve this issue. There is only so much that you can check on your own setup

Forget the question about the planes it's obvious from your picture that it is finding them...

Are your terrain folders actually called verdun and cambrai or wwicambrai and wwiverdun?

If they don't have the wwi prefix then my location file won't currently see them.

If this is the case then In Dogfightv2,2\templates you'll see a file called location.tpl.

Open this in notepad and add this at the start

Terrain=Cambrai
A1PosX=122200.0
A1PosY=130040.0
HorizSep=2000.0
StartDate=09/18/1918

Terrain=Verdun
A1PosX=122200.0
A1PosY=130040.0
HorizSep=2000.0
StartDate=09/18/1918

Make sure the names Cambrai and Verdun are exactly the same as your directory names - capital and small letters.

I'll make sure that the next version of the software doesn't have this dependancy

If this doesn't solve your problem let me know

The files is there and the entries are there, I modified the letters (capitale and small) so that everything is identical => same problem !

I really am not sure what is going on here but I am very close to releasing an updated version which cares out the checks a little differently. With any look this will solve your problem.

Does your options.ini file have  MissionMap=XXXXX in it? (The XXXXX is a terrain name)

If so what is the name? There could be more than one - it's just the first I'm interested in.

The new version of dogfight will use this name if it finds nothing else.

Should be released around the weekend - maybe earlier if the testing goes smoothly

Thanks for your patience with this Jeanba.

I have :

[instantAction]
AircraftType=SPAD13
MissionMap=wwiVerdun
StartTime=16:30:00
StartDate=09/18/1918
StartTimeDeviation=120
TextureSet=0
NationalMarking=0
SquadronMarking=0
AircraftNumber=0
KillMarking=0

That's good - the new update should work with this value - I'm going to upload it in a few minutes.

So as soon as they've approved the upload it should be ready for use