I was thinking of a few ideas regarding the following

HUD Symbology

How much versatility is allowed in altering the HUD symbols compared to, say, Falcon BMS?  

I would assume it would be substantial considering the Russian designs, and I want to point out that even the F-16 and F-15 despite core similarities, have some significant HUD symbols

Russian Aircraft

The Russians had a whole different system for not just HUD symbology, but the ADI system.  

I'm curious as to the feasibility of creating modified cockpits with english symbols, and a western ADI and stuff.

Radar Systems

I'm not sure if this is classified, but the radars depicted seem to show the radar beam scanning in a relatively slow pattern: Modern radars are phased-array and scan shift the beam in milliseconds.  I'm curious if, provided it's not classified, if it's possible to create a more accurate representation (I'm not interested in revealing national secrets or having a premature heart-attack or a car-crash and stuff  :blink:).

The series was originally designed to cover western cold-war aircraft up until 1974 or so, which would explain why the radar and avionics behave as they do. Most of the 3rd party mods that seem to enable some of the features you desire, are really work-arounds, that are limited in performance and appearance by the lack of supporting call-outs in the avionics dll files. The developer gave us some new features (mainly the radar modes on the F-14), when he introduced SF2NA in 2012, but the series is still lacking in many respects, such as radar acquisition of ground targets, (etc.)

Fubar512

What kind of 3rd Party Mods?

LOL, it's about the upteenth time that I fell prey to answering posts on the home page without first checking which forum they're linked to.  The fact that I mentioned SF2NA in my reply should have been a dead giveaway  :biggrin:

Everybody

I was thinking like how in BMS they often had several F-16 cockpits due to upgrades in the models if anybody's thought of similar things for other aircraft within the boundaries of what's not a matter of national security?

Fubar512

The series was originally designed to cover western cold-war aircraft up until 1974 or so, which would explain why the radar and avionics behave as they do.
I'd have thought to about 1991 -- they didn't seem to be using AESA then.

Most of the 3rd party mods that seem to enable some of the features you desire, are really work-arounds
While I know you made an error regarding the forum you responded to: When you say workaround, do you mean like a kluge to allow it to work in the sim with the existing avionics files?

that are limited in performance and appearance by the lack of supporting call-outs in the avionics dll files.
I assume it would be difficult to modify these files?  Or is there some kind of legal issue around this (I don't really feel like running afoul of copyright laws)?

The developer gave us some new features (mainly the radar modes on the F-14), when he introduced SF2NA in 2012, but the series is still lacking in many respects, such as radar acquisition of ground targets, (etc.)
Is DCS the same?

Eagle Dynamics/The Fighter Collection is very stringent as far as License Agreements and using their code for third party mods. Given the amount of fidelity that can be modeled that the simulation can employ, it's a real concern as far as modeling various aircraft. Where TK is a bit more lassez faire (to a degree) you have to remember that injecting real world classified data could land you in jail, and them a serious black mark on their own reputation.

Assuming you want to develop your own Aircraft and not Mod an existing one, even as an Unlicensed 3rd Party.

1. HUD Symbology is 100% Configurable, You can script anything you want with your own symbology in a TGA/DDS File. LUA Scripting Knowledge is a Must (See A-10C HUD Folder and LUAs),

2. Same can be said for MFDs

3. Cockpit systems complexity can be as simple as you want them (ie, Basic Electric, Hydrualic, Fuel Systems, Basic Radar, Basic SMS, Etc, Clickable or not, etc) (Again LUA Scripting Knowledge is a Must)

4. Flight Model, You can Use SFM or SFM+External FCS as a Cockpit System or EFM.

- SFM All Aero and Engine Parameters are in the Base AIRCRAFT.LUA

( USED BY AI)

- SFM + External FCS Would Use the above parameters, and augment them with FCS System Scripted in LUA to manage Control Surface Movements.

( USED BY SFM FC3 JETS + Some 3rd Party Mods)              
   -  EFM, Allows Custom Aerodynamics, Forces and Advanced Control Managements Etc

( Used By Licensed 3rd Party Developers )                             

5. Radars, And Other Weapons Systems, Can be as detailed or simple as you like, most of the FC3 Aircraft use simplified Avionics, where as the DCS Aircraft Use More Detailed Systems.

- You could, Simply Define a New Radar, Enter a bunch of Public/Generic Parameters, Define the Symbology, Create the Symbology Art easily if One knew how.

6. "Unofficial Mods" and Cockpit Linking, Is Common due to time and complexity of coding cockpit systems, and even building and animating the cockpits. Most unlicensed "Mini Teams", Animate and Export an External Model and Link it to use a Pre-Defined Cockpit and Avionics Set that resembles the aircraft the closest (Most A2A Aircraft are Linked to the F-15C, while A2G are linked to Su-25T or A-10A.

7. License Agreements w/ Manufacturers Are Significant, Many 3rd Party Mods were shelved or cancelled due to not being able to Secure an License Agreement with Manufacter of Said Aircraft.

Some Important Notes:

The Coding is Done in LUA and Microsoft Visual Studio Projects (DLL).
If you're not proficient in those, then that's already a HUGE Barrier to overcome.

As an Unlicensed 3rd Party, You will also not have access to the SDK, which would make things a bit harder.

The Learning Curve Coming from Say Thirdwire 2nd Gen Aircraft Development, Is Tremendously Steep, Both in Coding and Art Assets.
Which is likely why no SF2 Team has Even Tried to make a FC3 Level Aircraft.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

EricJ

Eagle Dynamics/The Fighter Collection is very stringent as far as License Agreements and using their code for third party mods.

You mean they would want to know what a bunch of people were going to do with their code?  That makes sense.

Given the amount of fidelity that can be modeled that the simulation can employ, it's a real concern as far as modeling various aircraft. Where TK is a bit more lassez faire (to a degree) you have to remember that injecting real world classified data could land you in jail, and them a serious black mark on their own reputation.

Well, as I said from the outset, I wasn't interested in releasing anything that was classified.

SkateZilla

Assuming you want to develop your own Aircraft and not Mod an existing one, even as an Unlicensed 3rd Party.

1. HUD Symbology is 100% Configurable, You can script anything you want with your own symbology in a TGA/DDS File. LUA Scripting Knowledge is a Must (See A-10C HUD Folder and LUAs),I'm terrible at programming so that wouldn't be my thing.  My 3D Art skills are a bit limited

2. Same can be said for MFDs

3. Cockpit systems complexity can be as simple as you want them (ie, Basic Electric, Hydrualic, Fuel Systems, Basic Radar, Basic SMS, Etc, Clickable or not, etc) (Again LUA Scripting Knowledge is a Must)Understood

4. Flight Model, You can Use SFM or SFM+External FCS as a Cockpit System or EFM.
   - SFM All Aero and Engine Parameters are in the Base AIRCRAFT.LUA
     ( USED BY AI)
   - SFM + External FCS Would Use the above parameters, and augment them with FCS System Scripted in LUA to manage Control Surface Movements.
     ( USED BY SFM FC3 JETS + Some 3rd Party Mods)              
   -  EFM, Allows Custom Aerodynamics, Forces and Advanced Control Managements Etc
    ( Used By Licensed 3rd Party Developers )So to use EFM you'd have to be a licensed 3rd Party developer?  As for the rest, those features are in the game itself right?

5. Radars, And Other Weapons Systems, Can be as detailed or simple as you like, most of the FC3 Aircraft use simplified Avionics, where as the DCS Aircraft Use More Detailed Systems.
  - You could, Simply Define a New Radar, Enter a bunch of Public/Generic Parameters, Define the Symbology, Create the Symbology Art easily if One knew how.True enough

6. "Unofficial Mods" and Cockpit Linking, Is Common due to time and complexity of coding cockpit systems, and even building and animating the cockpits. Most unlicensed "Mini Teams", Animate and Export an External Model and Link it to use a Pre-Defined Cockpit and Avionics Set that resembles the aircraft the closest (Most A2A Aircraft are Linked to the F-15C, while A2G are linked to Su-25T or A-10A.
That makes a lot of sense, so basically you'd be using the same cockpit for those models.

7. License Agreements w/ Manufacturers Are Significant, Many 3rd Party Mods were shelved or cancelled due to not being able to Secure an License Agreement with Manufacter of Said Aircraft.
So 3rd Party mods that are unlicensed must obviously avoid IP violations, and be for personal use only?

Some Important Notes:
The Coding is Done in LUA and Microsoft Visual Studio Projects (DLL).
If you're not proficient in those, then that's already a HUGE Barrier to overcome.Heh, tell me about it.  Admittedly, I probably should learn computer programming (if for no other reason than to better understand computers)

As an Unlicensed 3rd Party, You will also not have access to the SDK, which would make things a bit harder.
The SDK is for making new terrains?  What would you have to do to get licensed other then presumably pay money?  I think this could be something of use for everybody

The Learning Curve Coming from Say Thirdwire 2nd Gen Aircraft Development, Is Tremendously Steep, Both in Coding and Art Assets.
Which is likely why no SF2 Team has Even Tried to make a FC3 Level Aircraft.I didn't know that!

I just thought of this right now, with the whole SDK thing: I remember there was a game called IL-2 Sturmovik.  I'm curious if it would allow that level of terrain detail to be modeled (if somebody of course had the detail, and willpower LOL)

Edited by Constellation1710