Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Modding airplanes for DCS?

Wondering If EricJ have seen this puppies... but then knowing how he loves the bird I'm sure he's involved somehow. Anyway.

Screen_160305_221403_zpsuii0swel.jpg

Screen_160305_222252_zps4x7yrnd9.jpg

Those pics made me tought, If those guys can make such mods, why, is not possible to have at least a FC3 level Mirage III or F-4E? Having such cold war birds in DCS will be really amazing, and I'm pretty sure many people here will love the possiblities that DCS adds in terms of realism and mission edition. 

Anyone know what's making such mods an utopy? Is the 3d model? or the coding for FM and systems?

Typically, mods are to make AI into flyable aircraft using cockpits from existing flyable aircraft.

F-15E: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1459229/

MiG-31BM: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1520559/

Su-30M: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1412237/

The original MiG-21bis was a mod for LOMAC/FC. I never tried it, but as I understand it was complete from a 3d modeling point of view: external and cockpit, but I am guessing it still had to borrow another aircraft's avionics.

So, it can be done.

But in general, to do it right, you need support from ED. That requires being approved as an official 3rd party. Apparently, meeting their 3rd party criteria is a pain in the butt.

Recent patches also keep breaking the user mods aircraft.

Edited by streakeagle

Of course I'm involved with the Super Hornet for DCS, those are my skins :D

But there are guys working on planes withput ED support I think. Adding a FC3 level plane will be more than enough, something easy at first maybe? The Mirage III before moving to the Phantom?

Eric, are your team in contact with ED somehow? Wondering how you guys do the avionics on that bird.

Given our varied histories we don't get any official support from ED. Yes, SkateZilla is part of the Testers Team and is killing it as far as integrating the systems and coding. I do a lot for A3 but not nowhere near what's required for DCS, so we're "Code bashing" off of FC3 until we can work on our own code.

So essentially we're like the other Third-Party developers, doing it as we go along.

BTW, I've seen pics of the S.Hornet dropping a GBU while carrying a targetting pod. Is that functional? I mean can you use the TV display and hit the target using the laser? and at the same time can you carry and use properly A-A radar guided missiles?

Right now a human can only fire the gun, and use A2A systems. Right now we're using the F-15C cockpit until we're able to integrate a proper model for the Supers so right now a human player can use iron bombs and that's it (along with the gun of course). Further along more will come out but for now only the AI can use the "fun stuff".

Edited by EricJ

found this site

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=rsvnpilot&set_filter=Y&PER_PAGE=20

has some thirdparty cockpits for Migs..?

You will find a few links to those pits in my first post. The problem is the latest releases of DCS have broken many older "flyable" mods, though I understand the MiG-31 mod is presently functional.

streakeagle

But in general, to do it right, you need support from ED. That requires being approved as an official 3rd party. Apparently, meeting their 3rd party criteria is a pain in the butt.
What requirements are typically needed?

EricJ

Given our varied histories we don't get any official support from ED.
varied histories?

I do a lot for A3 but not nowhere near what's required for DCS, so we're "Code bashing" off of FC3 until we can work on our own code.
Code-bashing?  You mean kluging existing code into something you can make work?

I was affiliated with ED for like.... since 2001, or so until 2013, did some work here and there and one of the SMEs for the A-10C module. For some reason I got 'punished" for mentioning some work I did, and so on. Then last year when I mentioned the Super Hornet project the most idiotic Moderator, ShitSpawn, felt the need to ban me over some fucking idiot Suchoi25 on offering classified radar data (when I clearly stated we were modeling the APG-73 because it was "Safer" to a degree), and I didn't know this dude either so right now things have cooled. But ED can go fuck themselves on that note, to this day I still haven't figured out how I got banned when I didn't know Suchoi25 for shit but ShitSpawn needs to go fuck himself. I rarely hold grudges but that level of stupidity still blows my mind.

Then again given that level of moderation I chose to stay banned. Not so much to "stick it to ED" but really I don't need to be in a place where some people think they know what they're doing , don't know what the fuck they're doing. Don't get me wrong there are some good people there, but getting fucked over like that leaves a lasting impression. So it's better I stay away lest I get banned for threatening to choke the living shit out of that one moderator.

Edited by EricJ

EricJ

I was affiliated with ED for like.... since 2001
Back when it was LOMAC...

did some work here and there and one of the SMEs for the A-10C module.
That's pretty cool actually

For some reason I got 'punished" for mentioning some work I did, and so on.
Was this because they thought you were advertising something?

Then last year when I mentioned the Super Hornet project the most idiotic Moderator, ShitSpawn, felt the need to ban me over some fucking idiot Suchoi25 on offering classified radar data (when I clearly stated we were modeling the APG-73 because it was "Safer" to a degree), and I didn't know this dude either so right now things have cooled.
When you say safer, you mean not running afoul of posting anything classified correct?  As for the Moderator, what forum is this?

But ED can go fuck themselves on that note, to this day I still haven't figured out how I got banned when I didn't know Suchoi25 for shit but ShitSpawn needs to go fuck himself. I rarely hold grudges but that level of stupidity still blows my mind.

Then again given that level of moderation I chose to stay banned. Not so much to "stick it to ED" but really I don't need to be in a place where some people think they know what they're doing , don't know what the fuck they're doing. Don't get me wrong there are some good people there, but getting fucked over like that leaves a lasting impression. So it's better I stay away lest I get banned for threatening to choke the living shit out of that one moderator.

Do you still retain the full game editing capabilities you had before or did you lose that privilege?

I had actually lost that privilege due to some personal issues (I had a psychotic break around 2012) and one day I had access, one day I didn't much give a shit at that point as I had plenty on my mind. So as I told someone there, I understood and didn't much worry about it, as I was more focused on putting my mind back together than gaming or anything related on a more focused scale so their decision I still support. Matter of fact I was removed as a moderator here due to that same issue  as I simply wasn't mentally capable of being responsible of making critical decisions or felt reliable enough.. Once the Super Hornet for DCS is released I may look into it but given the low amount of BS sometimes it's like it's not always needed to be one.

Despite that tense contention point overall I still work with a few people here and there, so while SS's decision really obviously hit a sore point and one day I'll bury that hatchet but some things just still rub it raw. But even then we don't bother each other and that's what is needed some time to heal the wounds and move on.

Yes "Safer" meaning that they were developing the code for the Legacy and we could, maybe, possibly piggyback or reverse engineer the code so we'd have at least a somewhat capable radar suite.

The reason I got "punished" was that I had thought since BS2 was out I was "clear" on that project, not realizing that my NDA was still valid. In a practical sense all the stuff I did I could only tell in my last breath of life.

As for 2001... yeah, I also was a forum moderator for the Ubi Soft boards. Rich Sorochak helped me out considerably as well as my own skill in getting "inside". So I'm eternally grateful for that as well, but yeah around that timeframe.

Edited by EricJ

EricJ

I had actually lost that privilege due to some personal issues (I had a psychotic break around 2012) and one day I had access, one day I didn't
So you needed a password or to edit you needed access through an other website?

Yes "Safer" meaning that they were developing the code for the Legacy and we could, maybe, possibly piggyback or reverse engineer the code so we'd have at least a somewhat capable radar suite.
By the way, how does the game simulate radar?  Does the game actually simulate the radar beams, the programming of the radar itself, or merely tells the computer "scan this much distance, pick up anything this size or more at this distance, scan this many times a second" and stuff?

The reason I got "punished" was that I had thought since BS2 was out I was "clear" on that project, not realizing that my NDA was still valid.
NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement?

As for 2001... yeah, I also was a forum moderator for the Ubi Soft boards. Rich Sorochak helped me out considerably as well as my own skill in getting "inside". So I'm eternally grateful for that as well, but yeah around that timeframe.

Nope, you can keep your same username and password, just the Admins give you certain Privileges based on your stature within the forums. So the dev forums are just "hidden" for a normal person, so on average you simply won't see them, even though Admins and special tags have various access to the site. It's like any forum, there are always hidden forums (I used to manage my own too) and so EricJ back in 2003ish or so had access to the beta forums, as well as the normal forums. Now well.. yeah.

Pretty much scan this distance, you can do this. Suffice to say that it can model real world radars quite well.

Yes, NDA is Non-Disclosure Agreement, suffice to say all the cool work you did you can't really talk about, no matter how menial.

EricJ

Nope, you can keep your same username and password, just the Admins give you certain Privileges based on your stature within the forums. So the dev forums are just "hidden" for a normal person, so on average you simply won't see them, even though Admins and special tags have various access to the site. It's like any forum, there are always hidden forums (I used to manage my own too) and so EricJ back in 2003ish or so had access to the beta forums, as well as the normal forums. Now well.. yeah.
But the accessing capability isn't via a file or program that you downloaded?  You were editing solely through a website?

Pretty much scan this distance, you can do this. Suffice to say that it can model real world radars quite well.
Oh, okay

Solely from  a website, only Admins can give you certain privileges, like here as well.

Solely from  a website, only Admins can give you certain privileges, like here as well.

Sounds awfully awkward... every time you wish to alter a game on your computer, you have to access a website?

You lost me, no not really, just depending on if you're on a dev team or not. You just won't see the specific forums that's all.