Gents this is an experimental effect in the works.

I wonder anyone have tried use effect in cities to create constant light visible at night in the past.

I have some quick try and managed to generate 10 simultaneous light source per attached object, however the  effect looks really pathetic. Has anyone go any idea how to avoid the terrain being "overexposed"??

post-24717-0-50941400-1460220556_thumb.jpg

It actually look very presentable when look far

post-24717-0-58112100-1460222686_thumb.jpg

post-24717-0-35497300-1460222696_thumb.jpg

But Once you get closer ewww

post-24717-0-56225500-1460222701_thumb.jpg

By reducing the light range I can have less artifacts, but it then requires more source as those are constant emiters and they compete resource with other effects like rain etc. I was thinking of adjusting the render part of the effect but so far no clue? Any help?

Orsin,

That's interesting stuff there.....

Over the Years, I've thought about City Lighting at Night..... I've seen different Approaches to this over the Years. I saw only one to do it. It was "Dueces" Years ago....

He never told Me how to do it.....He just left Me with one Hint......

............... Stars!

PS, Maybe something to ask Stary about.........

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

Very good work! :good:

I don't know if this is possible but why not create a "fake" airbase with its own light system?

Edited by Coupi

I don't know if this is possible but why not create a "fake" airbase with its own light system?

That can be done, But AI wants to start Missions from those "Fake Bases".......  So it's kinda' No-Go unless You want it for "Single Mission" only. Kind of kills the Terrain, If you know what I mean.....

331KB

Edited by 331Killerbee

That can be done, But AI wants to start Missions from those "Fake Bases".......  So it's kinda' No-Go unless You want it for "Single Mission" only. Kind of kills the Terrain, If you know what I mean.....

331KB

no this is not based on fake base. Totally irrelevant.

no this is not based on fake base. Totally irrelevant.

Understood from the outset.....

Dueces somehow added how the Stars are projected against the Sky, and doubled the Entries to project on the Terrain "Plain" at the same time. Would turn on and off as Stars would light up from Dusk through the Night........  The cool thing was that the Star "Twinking" made the City Lights look "Real"......... I just wish I knew how He did it.

331KB

BTW, His location for the Stars?         ............ The Location, X,Y of the .Tod's of the Terrain.......

Edited by 331Killerbee

It probably means then we need to update the stars.DAT file, however this then requires all tod coordinates of all maps to be updated to it.

I tried introduce the shader FX for stars to the solidobject buildings however no difference made.

All one needs to do is to create "virtual" objects, and use the same  "engine method" to illuminate an area that MiGbuster and myself did with the deck, flood, and navigation lights on carriers, and that was also used on Julhelm's Handymax tanker and container ships.  

One then strategically places those virtual objects on a given terrain, and you now have illumination.  Conversely, one can create actual terrain objects, such as street lights, radio masts, etc, and add flood and even red anti-collision lights to the taller ones, with all of them using engine illumination.

Edited by Fubar512