Sign in to follow this  
DEVIL11

Wings over series SF1

i have bought the wings over Vietnam wings over Israel and wings over Europe a long time ago since I have a windows 8 is there any chance I can play those series for windows 8

Just FYI...Are you running 8 32 or 64 bit? I ran WOx in Windows 7 32 bit even if they were not suppose to run on win7. However, when I upgraded to 64 bit, they stopped working so I had to upgrade to SF2.

I am running Wings over Europe and Strike Fighters Gold on Windows 8.1, but I have to confess that sometimes the game crashes to desktop when I exit a mission. The only way I have been able to counteract this is by pressing pause before exiting a mission and then waiting a few seconds before pressing escape to the get to the debrief screen. Don't ask me how this works but it does most of the time and the crashes to desktop are now minimal. Maybee it has something to do with the amount of time it takes for the game to respond to user interface commands, I really don't know.

You may be aware already that there are a number of updates / patches for these games at this site and also at the Thirdwire site itself but I believe that they are the same updates / patches. On top of that there are numerous add-on aircraft at this site and I have added about 30 new planes to my Strike Fighters 1 game and a similar amount for Strike Fighters Gold courtesy of the numerous, skilled modders and skinners at this site.

My advice is if you can upgrade to Strike Fighters 2 series then do so. I only choose to stick with Strike Fighters 1 because you can't purchase a Strike Fighters 2 game on a physical PC / DVD disc, at least not in the United Kingdom. You can purchase Strike Fighters 2 in the form of a download from the Thirdwire site but I am not willing to risk putting my financial information on my computer anymore and subsequently online as I have recently had my debit card details duplicated and used by an online fraudster to purchase goods in my name.

That's the best advice I can offer, hope it helps. 

RUSTY

I've been running WOV, WOI and WOE on Windows 7 x64 with no problems for years.

But! How is not there some setting, you have to shut off.

But! How is not there some setting, you have to shut off.

no it either works or it dosnt, they were not really designed to work on anything past vista where as the 2 series was

i confess i havent given the game a proper test since i upgraded to 8.1 but it worked fine for me on windows 7 .......my advice to you to is to make sure you have all the proper patches installed (one fixes the after mission CTD)

• Like 1

no it either works or it dosnt, they were not really designed to work on anything past vista where as the 2 series was

i confess i havent given the game a proper test since i upgraded to 8.1 but it worked fine for me on windows 7 .......my advice to you to is to make sure you have all the proper patches installed (one fixes the after mission CTD)

just adding to this (wish i could edit my posts) .....a freind of mine managed to get Wings Over Israel working on windows 10 with no issues ......its safe to say that this isnt gospel but their are no guarantees it should work

SFP1/WOV/Korea/First Eagles - all have problems with win10!

SFP1 initial install does work but the minute any Aircraft, weapons or guns are added, it will crash to the desktop.

I do the initial install from CD, works ok. I have a full backup from win8.1 with about 75 planes and weapons and guns.

As soon as i copy/paste from the backup to SFP1 folder in win10, it will crash to the desktop.

WOV dont even get past the splash screen, or splash screen is so big i cant select any buttons and no mouse anyway.

Basically First Eagles is same as WOV.

I tried all compatibility modes (XP to 8.1) and changes to resolutions, no help.

Had these games since they first came out. Sure hope someone finds a solution.

clif

one would think it might be necessary to reinstall DX9, as 1stGen require it

• Like 1

I have experimented using SF Gold on Windows 7 64bits and if I stop updating at  SFG_p071006.exe it runs smoothly but without the later improvements  All of the first generation have an update level p071006. after that  the software crashes.

I am not too worried by what is missing, according to the release notes it is not that much. Be your own judge on this.

I do own SF2, but I like some of the old stuff too :blind:

I will fully test Windows 10 shortly... I am updating. I tested other software and 10 seems to be much more friendly to old programs.

Edited by Blind Faith

well gen 1 always worked fine for me on Windows 7, and i managed to have a multiplayer game with my friend (the guy with windows 10) with no trouble, he has also used Wings over Vietnam just fine (we tested it the other day)

one would think it might be necessary to reinstall DX9, as 1stGen require it

most 1st gen games auto install DX anyway

I also have SFP1 Series loaded and updated to 2008. Runs on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit perfect. I've also done a SF2 conversion to it so it includes Aircraft, Menus and Campaigns from Series 2 and works great.

Edited by Spectre8750

maybe I;ll learn C++.(I know it will not help) :bad:

I have the same problem with WIN 10.  I had to change my PC. WOV ist running wihtout a Problem. WOE and SF1 are nor working. So, what to do?

Just FYI...Are you running 8 32 or 64 bit? I ran WOx in Windows 7 32 bit even if they were not suppose to run on win7. However, when I upgraded to 64 bit, they stopped working so I had to upgrade to SF2.

I ran it on Win 7 64x without any problems and never crshed once ! I set the compatibility to Win XP(service pack 3)

I have the same problem with WIN 10.  I had to change my PC. WOV ist running wihtout a Problem. WOE and SF1 are nor working. So, what to do?

well thats just it

i said mine works but its a merged Gen 1 install i built using WOI

may be thats why mine works it has the newest architecture and yours dosnt

Thank you all for the replies. But i got me an old XP PC and now everthing is working fine.

Windows 7 is OK as long as you put the game map separately in the root and NOT in the game map...