Okay as some know I play it, somewhat more than most other games (DCS, A3, SF2) but yeah, I'm doing some modding slowly but surely, but I own:

Aegis Gladius

Orion Jumpworks 315P

Aegis Avenger Titan

MISC Prospector

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

• Like 1

Is there a downloadable PC demo of STAR CITIZEN as I would like to have a look at it and try playing it before I jump in with both feet. ???

Is there a downloadable PC demo of STAR CITIZEN as I would like to have a look at it and try playing it before I jump in with both feet. ???

Not really but you can jump in for 50 $ 

You can download the full game for free (takes about two hours to download, it's that big) and sometimes they have Free Fly (selected ships) or buy one of the cheaper ships. It's fun to play but given the small portion of of the game universe I'd maybe wait. Or if you want to check it out then you can go ahead.

Let's see, considering the money poured into the game, and the development time, I must say it's underwhelming...

The on-foot part of the game is bad, it's buggy as hell, movements, even though motion-captured, are comically bad, I mean early 00's bad.

The ship part, not that impressive.

Graphics, sure they are meant to be impressive, but if you stop gushing over how shiny it is, you quickly see all the bugs, the crap texturing.

The net code and servers ? Oh dear... it's a running joke.

It's not as if EVE Online and Elite: Dangerous weren't already out.

I think Star Citizen will collapse under its own weight; even though it will find enough backers, by the time it's actually playable it will only be a marginal improvements over games with an established player base and will never manage to enough players to justify the running costs.

Also, from the direction it's taking, it's gearing to be as boring and grind oriented as both EVE and Elite... I'm still keeping my package (a Constellation Aquila and a Freelancer DUR, both without LTI) for now, but in my eyes Star Citizen is already a failure.

Not to mention that with all the pledge ships, packages, stand-alone ships already sold to help cover the development costs of the game, the game economy, supposedly player-driven, will be a hot mess.

No really, I love the ambition and the intent, but the execution is a festival of failures on every level. It's utterly fascinating to see this train wreck in action. I never thought that Chris Roberts would pull a Peter Molyneux with Star Citizen, but it is seriously heading that way.

In the end, it's the outsider, the one I would've bet would end up being vapourware that is keeping my attention and getting me actually interested, No Man's Sky. It's the only one that seems like it will actually be any fun to play, being a game rather than a virtual job.

Edited by Gunrunner

Hmmm.....

I think what you're expecting a lot of polish when it's still in Alpha so there are going to be various issues. Like any other game that's in Alpha stage. I mean they're allowing us to play it so I'm not too beaten down by the obvious. I mean given the scope of and the size of the game, I'm sure the delay is what it is.

Yes it is boring since we only play in one system, and frankly getting tired of the same old shit myself. I just do some things and see how things are going, so I don't get so bent out of shape over the game too much.

Have to say that I have been looking for a good Sci-Fi game for a long time since I stopped playing Tachyon: The Fringe which I thought was a great game but it is old hat now. Star Citizen looks real good.

It's fun, but overall given the pace it does get boring kinda quick. So that being said there's so far the Arena Commander so you can mess around a bit but realistically the lack of a bigger universe is the major problem. I just fly patrols just so the org I am in has some idea of what's going on. Other than that I don't have much else to do there myself. I've flown all the missions, so hopefully when Alpha 2.4 comes out, there will be more to do.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Menrva

View File Outer Space Terrains
      Outer Space Terrains
      July 13th, 2021 (1st Release)
      by Menrva and nuni

>For Strike Fighters 2, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This package was born out of fun while working on the realSKY Environment enhancement mod. It features two experimental terrains, Moon and Mars, each with own environment data files which allow different gravity acceleration values and custom skies. Due to various hardcoded factors of the stock game, the Moon terrain shows contrail effects at very high altitude like any other terrain, as well as overcast/inclement weather layers which cannot be disabled in any way; enjoy these custom environments by taking such and other game engine limitations into account. It is suggested to install the realSKY Environment mod, since the custom environment data references extra details from that package.
      Both terrains feature fresh new 250m resolution heightmaps (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall they provide each terrain with a better look. Given that these are extraterrestrial terrains, different types of source data had to be used in their creation; for this and other limitations, altitudes of geographical features are inaccurate.
      The Moon terrain spans from 2040 to 2070, while Mars is available from 2060 to 2090; both are designed for fictional clashes between Red forces (Russian Space Forces and People's Liberation Army Strategic Support Force) and Blue forces (United States Space Force and French Space Force). Both terrains contain only two bases, one for Friendly forces and one for Enemy forces, fully populated with custom objects created by nuni. Few target areas have been added so that users can easily discover features such as craters, plateaus and valleys. At this stage, only the Recon mission type is available, so just have fun by flying over these barren terrains. Off Map bases have been added to both terrains and long range AI flights could be generated from them.
      An Orion MPCV created by nuni in three different variants has been added as a flyable aircraft as well as a terrain object in points of interest. In addition, custom skins have been created for it so that all AI-only space forces spawn with at least one terrain-specific aircraft; I would have liked to include other feasible and realistic spacecraft, but none are available at this stage. If you wish to contribute to this end, just contact me. The idea is to create plausible space warfare and exploration scenarios, so alien and sci-fi stuff should not be involved. Of course, you're free to alter the original scenario for your own personal use.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -nuni, for creating the Orion MPCV and all featured space terrain objects.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 07/13/2021 Category Full Terrains  
    • By Menrva
      Outer Space Terrains
      July 13th, 2021 (1st Release)
      by Menrva and nuni

>For Strike Fighters 2, Recommended Full-5 Merged
      This package was born out of fun while working on the realSKY Environment enhancement mod. It features two experimental terrains, Moon and Mars, each with own environment data files which allow different gravity acceleration values and custom skies. Due to various hardcoded factors of the stock game, the Moon terrain shows contrail effects at very high altitude like any other terrain, as well as overcast/inclement weather layers which cannot be disabled in any way; enjoy these custom environments by taking such and other game engine limitations into account. It is suggested to install the realSKY Environment mod, since the custom environment data references extra details from that package.
      Both terrains feature fresh new 250m resolution heightmaps (instead of the stock 500m resolution), allowing for greater details and precision in elevation changes; overall they provide each terrain with a better look. Given that these are extraterrestrial terrains, different types of source data had to be used in their creation; for this and other limitations, altitudes of geographical features are inaccurate.
      The Moon terrain spans from 2040 to 2070, while Mars is available from 2060 to 2090; both are designed for fictional clashes between Red forces (Russian Space Forces and People's Liberation Army Strategic Support Force) and Blue forces (United States Space Force and French Space Force). Both terrains contain only two bases, one for Friendly forces and one for Enemy forces, fully populated with custom objects created by nuni. Few target areas have been added so that users can easily discover features such as craters, plateaus and valleys. At this stage, only the Recon mission type is available, so just have fun by flying over these barren terrains. Off Map bases have been added to both terrains and long range AI flights could be generated from them.
      An Orion MPCV created by nuni in three different variants has been added as a flyable aircraft as well as a terrain object in points of interest. In addition, custom skins have been created for it so that all AI-only space forces spawn with at least one terrain-specific aircraft; I would have liked to include other feasible and realistic spacecraft, but none are available at this stage. If you wish to contribute to this end, just contact me. The idea is to create plausible space warfare and exploration scenarios, so alien and sci-fi stuff should not be involved. Of course, you're free to alter the original scenario for your own personal use.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -nuni, for creating the Orion MPCV and all featured space terrain objects.
      -gerwin, whose TFDtool has proved to be essential in today's terrain making.
      -mue, for the improved shaders he made and for the tools he made for SF2 modding.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      Any changes to the package's files and/or any copy-and-paste attempts of their contents are NOT authorized if you plan to release them in other mods. But permission might be granted to those who request it to me at CombatACE.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
    • By Nuni

View File Orion MPCV Pack
      Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle and variants:

As you may already know, this Monday (with some luck) the mission ARTEMIS one is going to lift-off setting the path for future manned missions to the Moon, something that as engineer and space nerd I am very excited about. To celebrate this milestone and since I am finding myself without time to continue 3D modelling space gear for the Moon mods, I have decided to upload my UNFINISHED models so you can enjoy them! That includes:
      - Aircrafts (or should I say spacecrafts)
      Orion MPCV: Your normal Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle, with some "landing gear" I was trying to design because my experiments with vertical take-off were to this point very unsuccessful... but appart from that and two floating invisible pilons for IR missiles, it should look like the Orion that will take off in a few days! Orion MPCV-ICPS: That is a bigger Orion which includes a variation of the "Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage", which in reality is the upper stage of the SLS that will insert the spacecraft into a translunar orbit from Earth. I modelled it here as a longer range Orion since the ICPS module are substantially two giant propellant tanks (big one LH2 and smaller one LOX). Also I have equipped it with four rocket engines which will help compensating the much heavier fuel tanks (I tried to tweak the engines parameters to make it look a little bit more like a rocket engine instead of an airbreathing one, so fuel consumption has become super high hahaha) F-40A Apollo Starfighter: The beginning of the Spacefighters mod, a modified Orion MPCV-ICPS in which the main body of the ICPS module has been modified to carry weaponry becoming a propulsion and warmodule. It includes to arms with a pair of space adapted cannons and pylons for eight SIM-9A the first vacuum rated version of the AIM-9 with reactive thrust control for maneuvering. This is definetely not how I want it to look like but newer models are on the long To Do List. - AAA test beds: In order to become a full Space warfare mod, ground objects have to be implemented, unfortunately appart from static turrets and modified rovers sketches I have not been able to make 3D models, that is why I borrowed randomly GKABS M163 PIVADS models in order to have AAA with good targeting for the following systems:
      Laser AAA: In space, one of the biggest challenges is thermal control of the spacecraft, and since there is no atmosphere to dissipate beams, a laser could potentially become an enemy for sneaky spacecrafts that ventures into restricted territory. That is why a small low power version of Laser AAA is intended to be used in the early stages of the mods conflict. Railgun: An electromagnetically accelerated projectile, with low fire rate but high velocities. It would have sense in the moment in which bigger and armoured spacecrafts appears in later stages of the conflict. - Weapons:
      23mm MG-2040 Lunar Cannon 20mm M168 Lunar Vulcan 100KW XN1 Laser Weapon System (quick fact eventhough "small" 100kW is freaking difficult to generate on the Moon) 105mm Lunar Rail Gun SIM-9A Spacewinder - So what to expect from this release?
      As you will see, it lacks a lot of things we take for granted in this game: ground assets, targets to strike, actual Air-to-Ground and viceversa weaponry, spacecrafts from other nations. But as we all know, time is sometimes really hard to invest in these projects and real life easily takes over it. So at least you can have some dogfights between Orions and experiment this new environment. I personally enjoyed a lot the process of doing them and thinking how a Spacefighter mod would look like after seeing that a Moon map is actually possible (thank you Menrva!).
      So I hope you enjoy this despite of the clearly unfinished models and textures!
      - CREDITS TO:
      Menrva: For the amazing map in which all of this can be developed and for the nations creation with their logos and the skins for them in the Orion. ravenclaw_007: For the incredibly detailed AIM-9 model from which I based my own space version model. GKABS: For the M163 that I included for testing the different AAA systems. Combatace community: In general, for the support, suggestions, advice and the material that I have used but I am not able to track the creator. DISCLAIMER:  As always this is a FREEWARE, the use of this content for commertial purposes is strictly FORBIDDEN.
      Ohhh and before I forget it, THERE ARE NO LANDING GEARS! hahahha

All being said, kind regards. Nuni
      Submitter nuni Submitted 08/27/2022 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Nuni
      Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle and variants:

As you may already know, this Monday (with some luck) the mission ARTEMIS one is going to lift-off setting the path for future manned missions to the Moon, something that as engineer and space nerd I am very excited about. To celebrate this milestone and since I am finding myself without time to continue 3D modelling space gear for the Moon mods, I have decided to upload my UNFINISHED models so you can enjoy them! That includes:
      - Aircrafts (or should I say spacecrafts)
      Orion MPCV: Your normal Orion Multipurpose Crew Vehicle, with some "landing gear" I was trying to design because my experiments with vertical take-off were to this point very unsuccessful... but appart from that and two floating invisible pilons for IR missiles, it should look like the Orion that will take off in a few days! Orion MPCV-ICPS: That is a bigger Orion which includes a variation of the "Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage", which in reality is the upper stage of the SLS that will insert the spacecraft into a translunar orbit from Earth. I modelled it here as a longer range Orion since the ICPS module are substantially two giant propellant tanks (big one LH2 and smaller one LOX). Also I have equipped it with four rocket engines which will help compensating the much heavier fuel tanks (I tried to tweak the engines parameters to make it look a little bit more like a rocket engine instead of an airbreathing one, so fuel consumption has become super high hahaha) F-40A Apollo Starfighter: The beginning of the Spacefighters mod, a modified Orion MPCV-ICPS in which the main body of the ICPS module has been modified to carry weaponry becoming a propulsion and warmodule. It includes to arms with a pair of space adapted cannons and pylons for eight SIM-9A the first vacuum rated version of the AIM-9 with reactive thrust control for maneuvering. This is definetely not how I want it to look like but newer models are on the long To Do List. - AAA test beds: In order to become a full Space warfare mod, ground objects have to be implemented, unfortunately appart from static turrets and modified rovers sketches I have not been able to make 3D models, that is why I borrowed randomly GKABS M163 PIVADS models in order to have AAA with good targeting for the following systems:
      Laser AAA: In space, one of the biggest challenges is thermal control of the spacecraft, and since there is no atmosphere to dissipate beams, a laser could potentially become an enemy for sneaky spacecrafts that ventures into restricted territory. That is why a small low power version of Laser AAA is intended to be used in the early stages of the mods conflict. Railgun: An electromagnetically accelerated projectile, with low fire rate but high velocities. It would have sense in the moment in which bigger and armoured spacecrafts appears in later stages of the conflict. - Weapons:
      23mm MG-2040 Lunar Cannon 20mm M168 Lunar Vulcan 100KW XN1 Laser Weapon System (quick fact eventhough "small" 100kW is freaking difficult to generate on the Moon) 105mm Lunar Rail Gun SIM-9A Spacewinder - So what to expect from this release?
      As you will see, it lacks a lot of things we take for granted in this game: ground assets, targets to strike, actual Air-to-Ground and viceversa weaponry, spacecrafts from other nations. But as we all know, time is sometimes really hard to invest in these projects and real life easily takes over it. So at least you can have some dogfights between Orions and experiment this new environment. I personally enjoyed a lot the process of doing them and thinking how a Spacefighter mod would look like after seeing that a Moon map is actually possible (thank you Menrva!).
      So I hope you enjoy this despite of the clearly unfinished models and textures!
      - CREDITS TO:
      Menrva: For the amazing map in which all of this can be developed and for the nations creation with their logos and the skins for them in the Orion. ravenclaw_007: For the incredibly detailed AIM-9 model from which I based my own space version model. GKABS: For the M163 that I included for testing the different AAA systems. Combatace community: In general, for the support, suggestions, advice and the material that I have used but I am not able to track the creator. DISCLAIMER:  As always this is a FREEWARE, the use of this content for commertial purposes is strictly FORBIDDEN.
      Ohhh and before I forget it, THERE ARE NO LANDING GEARS! hahahha

All being said, kind regards. Nuni
    • By Nuni
      Merry Christmass people, In about an hour the James Webb Telescope will be launched into deep space from French Guiana! This launch is definetely a big deal in terms of space exploration

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..