Just curious, are you still planning to release this mod - SCW for FE or are you moving on to CFS3? Will the final release be exclusive to CFS3 or do you plan to release for both? - I ask this with respect to your posting at sim-outhouse.com?

Just curious, are you still planning to release this mod - SCW for FE or are you moving on to CFS3? Will the final release be exclusive to CFS3 or do you plan to release for both? - I ask this with respect to your posting at sim-outhouse.com?

I have no answer because I don't know what I will do in the future.  Stephen1918 and I are taking a break from the SCW mod to avoid burnout. Understand this is a massive undertaking for only two guys so it will take a long time to complete.  Plus, we are only making objects at this time - we hope someone else will make FE/FE2 maps to run the objects in.

From time to time I tinker with map art, which is why I am looking into CFS3.  The WOFF team have done amazing things with the old CFS3 engine and I want to get a feel for making maps using the SDK editors.  From what I've read so far, it looks like the CFS3 map editor isn't much better than TW map editors but I have no first hand experience.  My first impression, based on many years' experience with complex systems, is that the TW editors are more flexible but are prohibitively labor intensive. 

The only map to come close to realizing TW's potential is gterl's FE/FE2 Italian Front map because of its many art tiles.  To produce a professional quality map would require EVEN MORE art tiles, which is not realistic for guys fooling around in their spare time.  Thus, I am looking into CFS3's map editor to see if it can produce a high quality map with a reasonable amount of effort.  If it can, then I will decide if I will make objects for CFS3.

Update: I've spent a fair amount of time evaluating CSF3 and Gmax.  From the vantage point of a developer, not a player, the trade-offs are not good.  It would actually take more work to produce something in CFS3/Gmax, but - with a few exceptions - the results would not justify the effort.

WOFF looks outstanding but has been modified so much that it now uses just a small amount of the old CFS3 code.  There are reasons why the WOFF guys replaced the code with better stuff! 

In contrast, TW code is actually pretty good but suffers from insufficient development.

Progress shots of the Arado 68E.  Originally one of Daniel's models, I have made significant changes.  Suitable for both the Spanish Civil War and the 1938 concept.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 10

Geezer & Stephen1918:

I ran across a couple of "airport eye candy" pieces this past weekend (see my MAM Airshow post in The Pub for details) that I was not familiar with.  The first (see photos below) is a Ford Model T with a Hucks aircraft starter attachment.  Reportedly these were fairly common during the 1920's and 1930's.  The second is a Thompson Brothers P505 mobile aircraft refueler which was generally in use for about two decades, starting from the mid-1930's.  I submit these strictly for your use and do with them what you will - just airfield curiosities which you may wish to incorporate into your ground fleet!

• Like 2

Geezer & Stephen1918:

I ran across a couple of "airport eye candy" pieces this past weekend (see my MAM Airshow post in The Pub for details) that I was not familiar with.  The first (see photos below) is a Ford Model T with a Hucks aircraft starter attachment.  Reportedly these were fairly common during the 1920's and 1930's.  The second is a Thompson Brothers P505 mobile aircraft refueler which was generally in use for about two decades, starting from the mid-1930's.  I submit these strictly for your use and do with them what you will - just airfield curiosities which you may wish to incorporate into your ground fleet!

Great stuff - thanks!  I love the Art Decco refueler.  I had been considering a tractor and bowser for the Brits, now.....?  :biggrin:

post-39531-0-80157400-1475681779.jpg

Took a short break from the Bulge stuff and started mapping the Sparviero.

• Like 4

Another test shot.  Viva Espana!  :biggrin:

• Like 5

stunning work so far.

Thanks.  Old propaganda footage of Sparvieri in Spain:

• Like 3

Got the fuselage mapped today.

• Like 2

Stumbled across a youtube video of the Meridionali Ro37 two-seater used in Spain.  A fascinating tidbit of history: the king of Afghanistan bought some Ro37s in the 1930s, and Allied troops discovered them this century in a boneyard outside of Kabul.  Shots below of recovery, restoration, and video of roll-out.

post-39531-0-30744500-1489358349.jpg

post-39531-0-55599800-1489358361_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-76804200-1489358370.jpg

post-39531-0-77260800-1489358443.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

Needed a break, so I fooled around with some experimental terrain objects.

post-39531-0-42361700-1489667797_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Another shot, approximating the use of 2048 x 2048 artwork applied to a game map tile.  This might not be practical for ALL ground tile art, but it does work when 2048 x 2048 art is applied to a small number of map tiles, such as airfields.  Perhaps map tiles containing major targets could have special hi-res art applied to them?

post-39531-0-64336400-1489669753_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just sent the another Bulge vehicle to Baffmeister.  Will resume work on the SCW stuff soon.

post-39531-0-82450800-1489870167_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

that Chirri is so darn beautiful

Taking a break from ground objects, and fooling around with SCW aircraft.  I just love Steve's I-15 and Brequet XIX! :biggrin:   Plus, I'm slowly getting the CR32 and Northrop2E ready for Baffmeister. 

EDIT: use of some Republican aircraft is controversial, as what data survives is contradictory.  I have already made models of the Northrop 2E, Dewoitine D510, and Boeing 281 (export version of P-26) for China Skies.  As the models are built, mapped, and the skins started for China, only new skins are required for use in the SCW - even though they may not be "accurate" they should be a lot of fun and add plenty of atmosphere to a fascinating period of aviation history.

post-39531-0-88454300-1491222374_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-36656300-1491222388_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-67277300-1491222398_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-10385600-1491222453_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

Two more shots of REAL fighter planes!  :biggrin:

post-39531-0-11945400-1491223204_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-37286300-1491223212_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Stephen1918 has already released two SCW aircraft and some ground objects, plus has plans to release more aircraft.  Shot below shows what I have in the pipeline.  Over the next year or two, the SCW is going to get lots of love.  :biggrin:

post-39531-0-94920700-1491229457_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Started the panel lines for the CR32...

shot-1.jpg

shot-2.jpg

• Like 6

Got snowed in, so I worked on some SCW stuff.  These 1930's aircraft are a long term project, and I will return to WW1 stuff shortly.

Composite-3.jpg

• Like 6