Sign in to follow this  
dannavy85

What the A-6E/F Mods lack.

Hey all,

While I love the A-6E and F models that have been put out, there are a few things lacking for realism. There's no way to put out engine fires and the later A-6E's SWIPS and the F's did have Halon dischargers. There's no RAT system (Ram Air Turbine) which supplied emergency power and hydraulics. No way to blown down stuck landing gear, no independent control of the TRAM/FLIR.

But despite these little misses, the models are a joy to fly and are just as good as the Intruders were in their life. Especially low level "take this snake down your throat" love it!

Is there any way to add the missing systems?

no

Well what about being able to modify the engine fires so that if you descend and windmill the motor, the fire goes out instead of continuing to burn? The models should have better survivability traits.

see above

LOL... while mr Wrench's reply is very 'to the point' it does help to know that SF series is not about in-depth systems modeling so its capability in this area is rather limited. i reckon nor do most like SF because of its system modeling or lack thereof, but other aspects....

ah... also tis a modding forum so it doesn't hurt to see what you can do to make some stuff happen, engine durability and fire chances could be within that range it seems...

Edited by Do335

Just to be clear I'm not "dumping" on the people who put their time and effort into making these flyable models, they are totally awesome and act very close to the actual aircraft. If you could have been on some of our bombing detachments to Nevada and California in the 1980's and stood on the hills over the ranges and seen these Intruders dropping hell loads of 500's and APAM's on targets....they were devastatingly accurate. Though I am glad that one person doesn't need to jump between the job of pilot and B/N to fly the models; that would have been too difficult.

I understand your wanting to integrate systems that are missing but as was said in a round about way is that this sim started out with a scenario for a Mid-East war as was done in the manga and anime Area 88. That said, the aircraft used were the Century Series along with their Navy and Soviet counterparts so any avionics that were coded were from that generation of aircraft. It took a few years to even get a CCIP ironed out and posted as a mod. The only thing we really got as far as AV/ORD systems as time went on were ECM pods and Chaff/Flare dispensers in the base game Wing Over Europe, if I remember right correct me if I'm wrong, on the modders side were the ordnance addons. I was a beta for a lot of those mods and put my years as an AO to use helping to tweek anything that went boom along with other AOs and AMMO Troop members here. 

As said before, this is THE modders sight for Third Wire games so if you have an idea try to make it work within the limits of the game, I agree that not having a working RAT is a drag, no pun intended, but to have one you would need to modify not only the ini's and other files but the airframe itself to have the thing show ingame and that includes the animations as well. If you just want to gundeck it and have the thing work in the cockpit without having and external model then it could possibly work as long as you can get the game files to cooperate. I'm sure that you'd get a few folks to beta the thing for you. Hopefully you'll either get it working yourself, inspire someone else to make one or go completely bat-s**t crazy mid point. Either way you have company in all three situations.

IYAOYAS!