Spudknocker

Oculus rift VR headsets in strike fighters?

Hey guys! So I was parusing the net and looking at the oculus rift headset it says it works with a lot of computer games. I was wondering has anyone looked into or thought about using a VR headset with strike fighters 2? I mean that could be SUPER awesome! Haha maybe add a little new life to the game?

I just got Vive VR for Christmas, so I am wondering the same thing!!!!

Anyone?!

:) V

So...SF2 is not supported...Games are specially designed for Vive..etc. So I got VorpX for some other games and tried it with SF2, but looks like I need to create a profile...I don't know how...soooo...has anyone tried this and already have a profile for VorpX?

On 30.12.2016 at 4:37 AM, viper63a said:

Games are specially designed for Vive..etc.

getting SF2 working in O-Rift -> ReVive route is ever possible somehow? I am pretty sure I saw Rift SF2 clips in the past

yeah can't find them myself Viper63a. Anyway bought myself vorpX drivers for OR/Vive that inject itself into older games with mixed results and plan to test them in spare time

IT WORKS!

at least using VorpX, edit: with new vorpx (via vorpix configuration utility) profile derived from "ArxFatalis"* one

The only downside is ForceDx9=TRUE in strikefighters2 options.ini, I was yet unable to create working Dx10 SF2 vorpix AT ALL. The closest I was with Alan Wake (Dx10 title) but locked during loading at 30 percent. Will do more tests but been able to run at bare low at 1280x1024 for starters (which is always recommended for testing new game with vorpx) vorpx works in z-normal and z-depth, not geometry3d, recommend letterbox 2 with ambient background setting. Head tracking in Vive works :) no head roll yet I guess it requires modding of viewlist.ini to add it; of course it is then obvious one needs to increase view limits to full 360 degree in all cockpits ini files too.

Testing on HTC Vive here, I guess Oculus Rift would work too..?

Hope to find more when I get there I will post.

*the one created for Dx9 mod for Arx Fatalis called Art Libertatis -highly recommended BTW

Edited by Stary
adding more info

this is also important in options ini I guess

AntiAliasing=1
ForceDX9=TRUE
ForceVSyncOff=TRUE

Use32BitZBuffer=TRUE

Any news regarding the use of HTC Vive with the game?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've finally worked out a way to fly in VR in Strike Fighters 2 on an Oculus Rift CV1 using a variation on the method linked above. It's complicated and will only work in DirectX9 mode and you'll need Tridef 3D + the Tridef-3D-Occulus Rift beta Addon, which I can post if anyone wants to try it, and VorpX.  Unfortunately, you need to use the VorpX desktop viewer as I can't get the game to display using Steam's BigScreen beta, but the good news is that Oculus headtracking works so you can look around the cockpit without using freetrack. Although the VR is not as good as it is in games that natively support VR, such as Il-2 BoS, DCS and X-plane, the VR effect and 3D depth is still quite impressive in Strike Fighters 2 and on my sytem runs at about 60-70 fps.

I've also tried DX9/DX10 modes using the standard Tridef 3D side-by-side mode, 3D Superdepth with reshade and directly injecting Strike Fighters into VorpX and although I can get the game running I can't manage to get any 3D depth so its like playing on a big 2D screen. Strike Fighters 1 also works using the Tridef/VorpX method but there are alot of graphical problems in VR that aren't present in SF2.

I wouldn't rush out and buy all the VR and 3D software just to try it, as that would be an expensive exercise, especially until I can confirm it works on someone else's system, but if any one already owns the software and is willing to give it a try I can post a step-by-step guide to getting it working.

norrin

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the information and looking forward to any update. :drinks:

It would be really nice to fly SF2  with VR headset. may be one day soon

Hey Stary - (I can't send you a PM) - apologies for the thread bump!

Greetings again and hope this finds you doing well. I had a quick question - a Google search came up with your post - so that's how I found it was you. Anyway, I was wondering if you had any additional success with Vorp-X and Strike Fighters 2 beyond what you posted in this thread. I haven't pulled the trigger on Vorp-X simply because it has such mixed reviews. It would be completely worth the price though if I could get both Strike Fighters 2 and perhaps EECH working with my HP Reverb (WMR headset). I think those two titles could really stretch out their awesomeness with the addition of VR. So what do you think - was your experimentation worth it or not ya' think?

Thanks for any further thoughts you might have on the matter.

I just went ahead and paid for the vorp-x and I will try it the next few days.  It would be nice if I only can move my head around and see the surrounding that will help spotting SAM.

I have htc vive

Edited by GKABS

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 12:14 PM, Stary said:

IT WORKS!

at least using VorpX, edit: with new vorpx (via vorpix configuration utility) profile derived from "ArxFatalis"* one

The only downside is ForceDx9=TRUE in strikefighters2 options.ini, I was yet unable to create working Dx10 SF2 vorpix AT ALL. The closest I was with Alan Wake (Dx10 title) but locked during loading at 30 percent. Will do more tests but been able to run at bare low at 1280x1024 for starters (which is always recommended for testing new game with vorpx) vorpx works in z-normal and z-depth, not geometry3d, recommend letterbox 2 with ambient background setting. Head tracking in Vive works :) no head roll yet I guess it requires modding of viewlist.ini to add it; of course it is then obvious one needs to increase view limits to full 360 degree in all cockpits ini files too.

Testing on HTC Vive here, I guess Oculus Rift would work too..?

Hope to find more when I get there I will post.

*the one created for Dx9 mod for Arx Fatalis called Art Libertatis -highly recommended BTW

Hello Stary,

I tried sending you a personal message but somehow it didn't allow me., so I am posting it here.  I have been reading your work to get the game working in 3d using VorpX, so my question to you where do I need to start to continue your work? If you can give me a step by step guideline so I can take it from where you left off.

Many thanks.

So..umm...this actually works..! Strike Fighters 2.. Been messing around with it for a couple of hours and..well..it works. More details to follow, but it works. These are "through the lens" pics with my iPhone through my HP Reverb. I'll post more tomorrow because I need to do some tweaking...

a45d15330f8023e96e2c0c86a7055da2bbb1e5f3

3cc535f39888d7ad20394aeec930478aa2382470

2d684058321a46e44ecf544b45a55b15f9db355a

bd767827daac0fededb4f82aece88d8ced33cca1

I am happy that we finally can play the game in VR I did play the game in VR about 3 days a go you can see my post 

Did you try to run the game using any custom made? and what profile did you use?

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By norrinor

View File Possible Method for Stereoscopic 3D in VR with Headtracking in Strike Fighters 2 - Geo11
      Possible Method for Stereoscopic 3D in VR with Headtracking in Strike Fighters 2 - Geo11
      The attached PDF outlines the steps using freeware programs, wrappers and apps I've used to get stereoscopic 3D in VR working in Strike Fighters 2 and it's associated mods. Over the years I've tried many methods to get SF2 working on either a 3D monitor or in VR using programs such as vorpX or Tridef, as well as many others, but have never been happy with the results; however, using a relatively new technique geo11, I'm finally able to play in VR with proper 3D. This very clever piece of software, is and I quote "a replacement for 3D Vision for DX11" and allows you to generate a very nice 3D image in VR using the latest nvidia drivers. 
      At this point I'm not sure if this will work for anyone else who is not using the same tech i.e. HP Reverb G2 VR Headset and running an Nvidia RTX 2080TI GPU but please let me know if you have any success with similar hardware or something very different. Also a very similar method works for the Strike Fighters 1 series of games and if anyone is interested I'll post the additional steps here.
      For anybody else trying this - Good luck
      norrin
      Submitter norrinor Submitted 05/20/2023 Category Utilities / Editors  
    • By norrinor
      Possible Method for Stereoscopic 3D in VR with Headtracking in Strike Fighters 2 - Geo11
      The attached PDF outlines the steps using freeware programs, wrappers and apps I've used to get stereoscopic 3D in VR working in Strike Fighters 2 and it's associated mods. Over the years I've tried many methods to get SF2 working on either a 3D monitor or in VR using programs such as vorpX or Tridef, as well as many others, but have never been happy with the results; however, using a relatively new technique geo11, I'm finally able to play in VR with proper 3D. This very clever piece of software, is and I quote "a replacement for 3D Vision for DX11" and allows you to generate a very nice 3D image in VR using the latest nvidia drivers. 
      At this point I'm not sure if this will work for anyone else who is not using the same tech i.e. HP Reverb G2 VR Headset and running an Nvidia RTX 2080TI GPU but please let me know if you have any success with similar hardware or something very different. Also a very similar method works for the Strike Fighters 1 series of games and if anyone is interested I'll post the additional steps here.
      For anybody else trying this - Good luck
      norrin
    • By 76.IAP-Blackbird
      Hello Pilots, 

Stormbirds summed up the new updates for Cliffs of Dover.

A series of updates over the last several days have focused on the work that Team Fusion Simulations is busy doing turning IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover into a VR supported sim. That’s not all because they are also busy upgrading the visuals of the sim with higher resolution textures and TrueSky technology for new volumetric clouds. Here’s the latest!
      Try and find the bombers in these clouds
      Higher resolution textures, VR support, and volumetric clouds round out the headline features of a future visual update coming to IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings – Tobruk. These veteran sims are getting one of the most significant updates in the series’ history when it comes to core technologies and the inclusion of the new cloud technology, on its own, will likely be as transformative as it has been for other sims that have employed it.
      I couldn’t agree more with this statement from Team Fusion.
      Have a look at some of the screenshots below or check out even more 4K resolution images here.
      As of yet, no release date has been offered for this update and work appears to be ongoing on this project. Still, it seems like we’re getting closer to do the time when it will become available. It should be very interesting to check out when we get there. More to come!
    • By Dutch_P47M
      I’m involved in this CFS3-project starting from OFF2 and did leave WoFF in favor of flying in VR.  Because of VR, I went to BoX only the whole FC1-VR is very sterile, overpriced as it’s nothing more then a cheap RoF swapjob done by Uglymedia and now all the reading about the N28, this plane seems a bit of an disappointing. So I would like to go back to WoFF, I do miss the atmosphere of flying the MS-parasol at the mountains in Belfort region as an sample.  Only one thing is keeping me away from BH&H2, =no VR

I know in the past it was not possible to rendering 3D in VR, but we are now a couple of years later. Are there any possibilities to transfer this WoFF game to 3D VR, with payware like Vorpx?  I would likely pay the VorpX or other software if it can generate the 3D in VR for BH&H2. 

• By MigBuster

The technology for Virtual Reality (VR) has come on enough in recent years for it to be considered viable for home gaming including in some Flight Simulators. The latest set of Headsets released this year have improved on what there was somewhat with some calling them 1.5 or 2nd Generation.
      Even so opinions on these seem to be mixed with some declaring they are the new messiah and others putting them in the box and sending them back to the shop. So is it the new messiah or just a very naughty Scuba Mask.

After patching up my hands (more later) the subject on trial is the Oculus Rift S, which improves on somethings over the Rift CV1 such as:
      •    Resolution and clarity.
      •    Ease of Use.
      •    Price.
       but is not so good on some other aspects
      •    Sound.
      •    Lack of mechanical IPD setting.
      The Rift S price seems competitive and includes 2 controllers however, like myself and others you will likely be plugging your own headphones into the provided Jack to improve sound quality:

Those ultra cheap earbuds plug right in to the headset!

Rift S also has internal tracking using 5 cameras so doesn’t use or need external base stations (Lighthouses) like the Pimax 5K+/8K and Vive do. This means 6 Degrees Of Freedom (6DOF) comes included.
      Rift S is also said to be one of if not the easiest to setup and live with. All you do is install the Oculus App, plug in the headset and pair the wireless controllers with onscreen tutorial. 
      A spare USB 3 and DisplayPort is what you need to plug in the hefty cable.  I am also running Windows 10 with an RTX2080 card which specifically had a USB type C connector on it for VR. So, taking advice from other users I plugged the headset directly into that using a USB 3 to USB C adapter.
      (Note I am running a mid to high end gaming PC currently and quite frankly anything less might see you disappointed regarding performance if you were say using it for DCS.)
      Once I had stuck in the AA batteries onto each controller both paired straight away so setup was no issue at all for me.
      Earlier headsets and others like Pimax 5K+ have a mechanical InterPupillary Distance (IPD) setting. Being a single display Rift S only has a software controlled IPD setting and this seems to be a large negative point people are throwing at it. This is basically the distance between your pupils and so is important to know so you can set the correct value. 

Rift S comes with snazzy box and two controllers!

The initial Oculus “First Steps” program (App) is a joy and really gets you into being able to use the controllers to grab and throw objects and interact with the world.
      The Oculus App store is an advantage for Oculus being one of the most developed. Here you can find some free gems like BBC VR spacewalk and 1943 Blitz. 

Screenshots alone are useless on conveying what VR is like you have to try it and get your VR legs, which translates as getting used to things to stop that part of the brain that thinks it is real and making you feel sick. Try a VR spacewalk or a Dogfight in DCS and this is what you initially will be fighting as well.

Impressions
      After using Rift S for a few weeks this is a real showcase for the potential of VR especially concerning interaction with computers and even VR games such as Robo Recall which are really pretty amazing.
      But I don’t want to give the wrong impression because you still basically have a 3D monitor in Scuba type mask at the end of the day and this will not be for a lot of people. 
      It is advised that you have lots of space around you for games such as this because you are essentially flailing yourself around pretty much blind. Also you will find that although your in game hands can rip robots apart and throw them about – your real hands are no match for the wooden furniture you just hit and need patching up. In fact possibly the first time blood has been shed for real during a computer game.

Robo Recall - the only blood shed was outside the game! (Oculus.com)

VR games make you sweat and so your VR lenses will steam up. Some get around this by blowing a fan in their face others like myself came up with this solution which also lets me stay in touch with the real world but makes things less comfortable:

Yep I have pulled the rubber mask off!

Speaking of which Rift S has a promising feature maybe for the future called Passthrough where I can be in any game and switch to a view through the external cameras. If you are thinking just like the F-35 helmet! – erm sort of like the F-35 helmet…….…in 2001 maybe. Was thinking I might be able to make out the keyboard but no chance. (maybe in a few years)
      When it comes to flight sims there are lots of mixed views and opinions. I can see why some have returned it because some people won’t put up with headaches or bother trying to overcome sickness for computer games. Some will be disappointed at the view in the Rift S which is better than the original Rift but still less than a 1080p monitor.

Track IR 5 V Rift S
      Let me say I have used TrackIR for over 10 years and so SA and positional awareness in Dogfights is not an issue. Nor is Air to Air Refuelling in fact recent DCS patches seemed to make things a lot easier. In Falcon I find it easier to join when the tanker is turning for some reason and do most of this automatically.
      These are things it seems I will need to spend time practising in Rift S / VR before I can be as proficient as before.
      The Field of View (FOV) is similar with both but with TrackIR I can still get a more realistic range and look around a lot easier with much better clarity. If I compare 1 v 1 tracking with the Rift S and my head then the FOV is much too small on the Rift S, so it is not just a pain in the neck I am getting. (Note I don’t wear glasses).
      With Track IR I often have to F12 reset the view or shake my head to get it back to where it is supposed to be (things I do now automatically). The Rift S doesn’t have that issue but it is also not perfect with for example sometimes presenting the HUD display too low or high to use.
      Other differences with Rift S include a 3D rendered cockpit thus the cockpit switches stick out in a way you won’t be used to if you used a 2D monitor. Also, the sense of scale is different and you can do things like stick your head out of the side of the aircraft which might be Useful for Choppers maybe (something I don’t fly).

Also….
      Of course there are other changes you need to adapt to……..for example with the VR Headset I can use HOTAS, rudder pedals and mouse fine, but a keyboard is a no. Also not so great having to lift up the scuba mask to look at the many docs I have on tablet for the more complex sims, also if you need to write anything down like coordinates during a CAS mission forget that.
      So, for example trying out the A-10C the other day and need to eject but no practical way to get at the keyboard and no clicky way to eject myself. Alternatives might be using Voice command software instead and there are ways to get some documentation into the DCS kneeboard such as the third party DCS Kneeboard Builder which may help to a degree.

Natural-point Track IR 5 - the King   (naturalpoint.com)

Potentially I suspect Generation 3/4 headsets could address some of the the current issues and be very good. Something that could add to this in future is Hand Tracking so you can manipulate controls in clicky pits with your hands / fingers.
      So, in summary if you are tempted by one of these then do research into it and look up the many Pros and Cons or at least make sure you buy from where you can return it easily. Whether it is for you is entirely down to who you are.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..