Sign in to follow this  
X8X8X

How to increase max. altitude of waypoints?

Hello,

I tried doing some reconnaissance missions with the MiG-25 in SF2 - Nato Fighters 5. Sadly the max. altitude of a waypoint, which I have to hit to successfully complete the mission, is 60.000 feet.

Can I change something in the game files to allow me a higher altitude, more suited for that aircraft?

Thanks.

Best regards,

X8X8X

recon altitudes are hard coded.

the alternative would be to hand fly the entire mission at whatever (high) altitude you wish, or build specific single missions, and are hopefully, able to edit the altitude WPs in there

Thanks for your reply.

I actually tried to build missions myself, setting the goal waypoint (the triangle) to a high altitude, sadly it cannot be set higher than 60.000 ft anyway.

The problem isn't even hand-flying, but the fact I have to descend to 60.000 ft (what a thing to say!) in enemy airspace, making me more vulnerable for interception and SAMs thanks to the loss in altitude and the increased aero drag.

Best regards,

X8X8X

Edited by X8X8X

You don't have to pass the WP at the given altitude.

But you have to be at less than 1 km (half a nautical mile) in the horizontal plan.

Only the WP 5 gives you the success of the mission, but it's hard to be such precise when roaring at M2.5+++ at more than 60000ft.

I'm currently spending much of my "flying time" in MiG-25 for editing purpose (PU and RU atm for the fun, to have a decent RB, then a cool PD :^)

(M2.5, trying to reach a steady 18000m height, being lined-up something like 40 km before target to drop the bombs.

Just being at the right speed, the right altitude, right course is quite a challenge. I didn't hit any ground target yet but I will keep trying...

And doing the U-turn at M2.5 is not a simple manoeuvre, just as "cooling things down" for a nice landing)

Can you share your mission profile please ?

I mean the parameters, climbing, ceiling, cruising speed, throttle settings, fuel remaining...

Hello Cliff7600,

It is. Thanks for the explanation. Bombing at that speed and altitude seems great fun!

My current approach to Western Germany with the Mig-25RB (no external tanks in NATO Fighters 5 is):
​- turn to target direction right after takeoff

- steep subsonic AB climb to to roughly 20 km altitude

- going past Mach 2 at that altitude

- turning AB off = Mach 1 only

- cruising to Western Germany / target area

- AB on when being intercepted. Altitude advantage should be enough, however

- wide turn after target, AB on

- AB off after interception is lost

- throttle off descent to airport when back in the state of the workers & farmer

You will find another flaw in my mission profile (hence the fuel is no issue): The speed! The engines (of any Mig-25 or Mig-31 in NATO Fighters 5) will catch fire after a few minutes of full afterburner. Without, cruising speed will drop to high subsonic even at above 60.000 ft.

Since you are  a editing a Mig-25, is this correct? It seems rather odd for a long-range high speed interceptor.

Best regards,

X8X8X

Well, I don't see the MiG-25 as a long range interceptor. I would say it carries long range missiles at high speed, but the MiG-31 should be better for patrolling.

Though the RB variant has a bigger amount of fuel than the interceptor, the combat radius would be around 675 km (365 NM) and 920 km (495 NM) with auxiliary tank,

but flying up to 20000m should give a rather low fuel consumption.

About the engines catching fire, maybe that could be useful :

[Engine1]

GasTempMaxRPM=635.0
GasTempIdleRPM=420.0
GasTempChangeRate=1.0
OverheatTemp=950.0

[Engine2]
GasTempMaxRPM=635.0
GasTempIdleRPM=420.0
GasTempChangeRate=1.0
OverheatTemp=950.0

And if you use the Baffmeister version, you may have parts called [AfterburnerNode1] and [AfterburnerNode2] that may be edited too with "GasTempChangeRate=1.0"

The real issue with the Foxbat wasn't engine catching fire in flight (not reported as far as I know) but rather damaged engines with M3.0 speed.
I read more about losses of control after missile launches or because of engineering flaws.

About the speed, I have the opposite issue, I go too fast with not much throttle, due to temporary drag tables values.
So my next step is to increase the drag to keep M2.5++ speed with more realistic throttle settings.

And the G limit at 4.5 is another problem...

Thanks for sharing, and have fun !
Edited by Cliff7600

Thanks for the insight.

I do not even manage to reach go past Mach 2.8 before my engines catch fire actually.

Funny how your version is entirely different...

I just searched Nato Fighters 5's credits to see who created the MiG-25 in my version:

CrazyhorseB34 (PD); USAFTML, MiG-25 Team (RB).

Best regards,

X8X8X

Probably from http://www.testpilot.ru/review/mig_pilot/ch_8.htm

The data Belenko supplied in response to the first quick queries also seemed surprising and, at first, contradictory. 

What is the maximum speed of the MiG-25? 

You cannot safely exceed Mach 2.8, but actually we were forbidden to exceed Mach 2.5. You see, at high speeds the engines have a very strong tendency to accelerate out of control, and if they go above Mach 2.8, they will overheat and burn up. 

But we have tracked the MiG-25 at Mach 3.2. 

Yes, and every time it has flown that fast the engines have been completely ruined and had to be replaced and the pilot was lucky to land in one piece. (That fitted with intelligence the Americans had. They knew that the MiG-25 clocked over Israel at Mach 3.2 in 1973 had landed back in Egypt with its engines totally wrecked. They did not understand that the wreckage was inevitable rather than a freakish occurrence.) 

Edited by MigBuster

That would mean :

[FlightControl]

MachLimit=2.5

how fun...

Thanks for the info, I will try the "MaxInletTemperature=" way to reproduce the issue...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT :

Using the values (slighty modified) from the Baffmeister version gives a good ratio between the Mach 3+ speed and the engines catching fire issue

[FlightControl]

MachLimit=3.2

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  and  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

[Engine1] and same for [Engine2]

MaxInletTemperature=290.0

GasTempMaxRPM=820.0
GasTempIdleRPM=450.0
GasTempChangeRate=3.0
OverheatTemp=950.0

If it doesn't work it might be related to drag values issues :^l

------------------------------------------------- Still off topic ------------------------------

The blowing up engine issue is quite fun to challenge with (in the game !)
but it was nothing compare to the stability issue of the PU and RU trainers

ONLY FOR MiG-25 PU or MiG-25 RU (both are the two seaters version)

[Fuselage]
CmqMachTableNumData=15
CmqMachTableDeltaX=0.20
CmqMachTableStartX=0.00
CmqMachTableData=0.000,0.500,0.850,1.000,1.000,1.000,7.000,14.653,16.500,19.811,27.000,35.186,54.076,50.0,-125.0

If it works like it should, you won't have any engine issue ...as long as you respect the Mach 2.65 limit ;^)

Edited by Cliff7600
  • Like 1