UK_Widowmaker

Independence Day

Good for you UK.  Tumbler and twitter are freaking out with salty liberal tears, it's awesome because they're worried about what this will mean for all those illegals as well.  Liberals have gone as far saying that anyone over 65 should not be allowed to vote as it's not their future, I'm loving the liberal butthurt, can't wait for November when the Trump wins.  I think liberals might just commit Seppuku en masse if that happens. :lmao:

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 3

Narrow margin or not, I'd like to congratulate the UK for making this bold step. From watching broadcasts in the UK to engaging in webchat it's so obvious even Stevie Wonder could see that there's a growing disaffection across Europe for the whole project. To put it bluntly; being in the EUSSR is beneficial if you're a businessman, banker or politician - but not for the ordinary Joe in the street.

May there be many bonfires in Britain tonight.....

post-29988-0-87423200-1466787804.jpg

• Like 3

Well England you did it!

Welcome to the Third World!

Pound Sterling down lower than 1985. Predicted to fall lower than $1.20 by July.

FTSE looses $120 Billion in market capital just this morning. Lower than the 2008 financial crisis.

62% of Scotland voted to stay. Word is Scotland will soon vote again to leave the UK.

Northern Ireland voted to stay. Rumor says they might soon hold a vote to leave the UK and join the Republic of Ireland.

Oil prices world wide fall,,,,,,, gold prices just spiked to a ten year high.

UK facing a massive recession by end of summer.

Well, UK is done. Hope you guys enjoy the smell of it all burning down around you!

Coming from someone living in a Country who may well vote Trump..i'd keep it quiet if I were you m8..and if you think we're going to vote, just to keep you guys happy...think again... Other European Countries are baying to get their own referendum..the EU may soon be dead..But Europe is far from finished..and it will be a better, stronger Europe for that.

Edited by UK_Widowmaker
  • Like 2

That is exactly what I hate to see. If he really had to do something to the EU flag, he should have washed it, not burnt it. That flag once symbolized unity and peace. Nowadays the EU is/might be something else, but that gives no right to burn the flag that was brought to light at a cost of two world conflicts.

Edited by blaze95
  • Like 1

I have a question, and correct me if I am wrong, as I understand it UK had a most favored trade status with the the members of the British Commonwealth that it had to give up that status when it joined the EU. Now that the UK has left the EU will it be able to restore those trade advantages with the other members of the commonwealth?

• Like 1

I have a question, and correct me if I am wrong, as I understand it UK had a most favored trade status with the the members of the British Commonwealth that it had to give up that status when it joined the EU. Now that the UK has left the EU will it be able to restore those trade advantages with the other members of the commonwealth?

Absolutely correct :) (and also sign trade deals with India/China and many others. Previously thwarted by the EU

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

That is exactly what I hate to see. If he really had to do something to the EU flag, he should have washed it, not burnt it. That flag once symbolized unity and peace. Nowadays the EU is/might be something else, but that gives no right to burn the flag that was brought to light at a cost of two world conflicts.

But have you stopped to wonder the reason as to WHY he burned it? He hasn't been the first person to do so and by no means will he be the last. Ordinary citizens are not feeling the benefits of EU membership. The EU is a great club for big business, banks, etc, but that's about as far as it goes. Here in Ireland we've been listening to our Europhile government bleating about how times are starting to get good again, yet we're in the middle of the biggest housing crisis this country's faced since the 1930s. When you look at countries like Spain, Portugal and Greece, who are still on very shaky ground.

The EU has become a little too federalised at this stage now and ordinary folk are just tired of it. It was fit for purpouse when it was the EEC - and like a knackered old motor - it's fit for the scrapyard.

• Like 1

Now that the UK has left the EU will it be able to restore those trade advantages with the other members of the commonwealth?

Hmm, a country with hardly any industry left and some 50 million people (give or take), trading on equal terms with countries that have up to 1+ billion people? 

Let me think about that...

• Like 2

Hmm, a country with hardly any industry left and some 50 million people (give or take), trading on equal terms with countries that have up to 1+ billion people? 

Let me think about that...

Well, dreaming is free.....

• Like 3

But have you stopped to wonder the reason as to WHY he burned it? He hasn't been the first person to do so and by no means will he be the last. Ordinary citizens are not feeling the benefits of EU membership. The EU is a great club for big business, banks, etc, but that's about as far as it goes. Here in Ireland we've been listening to our Europhile government bleating about how times are starting to get good again, yet we're in the middle of the biggest housing crisis this country's faced since the 1930s. When you look at countries like Spain, Portugal and Greece, who are still on very shaky ground.

The EU has become a little too federalised at this stage now and ordinary folk are just tired of it. It was fit for purpouse when it was the EEC - and like a knackered old motor - it's fit for the scrapyard.

I am from one of the countries on "very shaky ground", so I don't need to stop, to wonder the reasons. On top of that, I don't blame the EU if the people in my country are eating shit, I blame the politicians we have elected for countless years, and who have done nothing to reform my country (needless to say, they did nothing in the EU parliament). I have the habit to clean dirty clothes at home, if you know what I mean. We have to admit whose mistakes are. Some big mistakes were made by the EU, some by our own governments. Moreover, you are mentioning banks; that should be UK's last concern; the UK doesn't have Euro, we others do, though. But, feel free to enjoy the "independence". The UK is naive if it thinks that it can compete with China, India, and so on. I just want to add that I am waiting for the UK to leave NATO. You are leaving it, aren't you? I guess not, no wonder why.

Ah, and anyway, I am just suggesting to wash the flag instead of burning it, because the EU flag has now lost, betrayed its original meaning. Burning is always something violent, and I condemn violence, in any form. Washing a flag would have more meaning, IMHO. Call me liberal (and I am NOT), I simply call it being respectful.

EDIT: just noticed you're from Ireland. Anyway, that "you" before the edit was referred to the UK only. 

Edited by blaze95
  • Like 1

Well England you did it!

Welcome to the Third World!

Pound Sterling down lower than 1985. Predicted to fall lower than $1.20 by July.

FTSE looses $120 Billion in market capital just this morning. Lower than the 2008 financial crisis.

62% of Scotland voted to stay. Word is Scotland will soon vote again to leave the UK.

Northern Ireland voted to stay. Rumor says they might soon hold a vote to leave the UK and join the Republic of Ireland.

Oil prices world wide fall,,,,,,, gold prices just spiked to a ten year high.

UK facing a massive recession by end of summer.

Well, UK is done. Hope you guys enjoy the smell of it all burning down around you!

That's BS. Utter BS and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Stock markets and currencies will recover, find their level. Meanwhile the Euro and the EU will stumble on from crisis to crisis.

I live in Northern Ireland and don't presume to tell me how my part of the world voted. Many of us voted to get out, and the result was skewed by the political divisions peculiar to NI. There will be no 'border poll' anytime sooner than there would otherwise have been.

Yeah, the skies falling in. Any day now.

• Like 2

I think I went a little off-topic the post before, so just to stay on track, I have a question; what do you think will happen to Gibraltar? I mean, IIRC 95% voted to stay, they are not going to enjoy this shift of policies anytime soon. I heard that Spain has already requested a joint rule of it.

I think I went a little off-topic the post before, so just to stay on track, I have a question; what do you think will happen to Gibraltar? I mean, IIRC 95% voted to stay, they are not going to enjoy this shift of policies anytime soon. I heard that Spain has already requested a joint rule of it.

Who knows? Maybe nothing that would not happen anyway. UK no longer has a strategic need for Gib, so if the Gibraltarians would prefer shared or even Spanish sovereignty, HMG would likely not stand in their way. But the Spanish government should understand that it should stick to persuading the locals and not try to bully them, which is (a) not nice and (b) likely to be counterproductive.

You can blame BBC for the information on the FACT that the Majority of people in Northern Ireland voted to STAY.

I think The UK super fucked up by voting out,by a small margin, I might add. It basically ends Britain to become a vassal state to India.

Winston Churchill himself called for a United Europe in 1946! The Council of Europe and the European Economic Community Which later became the EU, was the original Idea of Winston Churchill.

Like was said before....... the only thing Britain manufactures now is HP Sauce and Boy Bands. Who in the fuck are you going to negotiate a trade deal with? And for what?

The only true money making industry in the UK is oil and gas and when Scotland does split off it will belong to them.

Markets do not rebound if they have ceased to exist.

Just rampant populist nationalism from the dying remnants of a once great empire.

Donald Trump will not get elected POTUS. The GOP will not let him get nominated at the convention.

UK does not need Gibraltar anymore because they barely have a navy any more and the UK really has not much relevance as a world power. To get in a war with Spain over a rock, is just the kind of populist nationalism crap that started this whole thing to start with.

Edited by CrazyhorseB34
  • Like 3

The tweets following the Brexit results are hilarious, :biggrin:  here are a couple

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 2

I'm working as a Customs officer in Le Havre, formerly located on the Channel (or the English Channel, as they call it on the insular part of it), soon on the new Channel Front. And I sigh like a bagpipe at thinking of the hundreds of new special UE regulations that are to be promulgated/reestablished, and enforced in the years to come, regarding our distinctive relations with Britain (formerly "our weird neighbours, but brothers anyway", soon just "Albion" anew).

• Like 3

I hear you Captain V.

The most laughable part of this is that it's been the actions of the Commision that have caused all this in the first place, and they can't even see that.

It stands to reason that if you continuously ignore the concerns of the people, and ram policies down their throats, under the guise of progressive liberalism (or any movement), eventually they will revolt. People can call what I've said racist or bigoted if that makes them feel better, but what's happened in the UK yesterday is democracy in action.

• Like 1

but what's happened in the UK yesterday is democracy in action.

Not really.

It's just a sign that old farts have a demographic leverage over the young and will screw the young generation's chances for the sake of living in an over-glorified past.

Winston Churchill himself called for a United Europe in 1946! The Council of Europe and the European Economic Community Which later became the EU, was the original Idea of Winston Churchill.

Like was said before....... the only thing Britain manufactures now is HP Sauce and Boy Bands. 

I swore to myself I'd never waste my time conversing with you again... where do you get your "facts" from exactly?

I'm a British engineer so read expert in British manufacturing capacity... we manufacture a metric-f*ck-ton more than most idiots like yourself realise... in no particular order: agricultural/construction equipment, electronics, satellites, aero-engines, automotive, weapons, pharmaceuticals/chemical, food/drink... much of the above being world leading and unsourcable outwith the UK...

As for Churchill's vision... it certainly was not for the bureaucratic monstrosity that we actually ended up with.

To anyone outwith the UK/EU questioning our wisdom in leaving, ask yourselves this... would YOU hand over the same level of power to UNELECTED and effectively UNACOUNTABLE officials in other countries and allow them to dictate to you how your country was going to be run?   

Didn't think so...

Craig

• Like 4

I swore to myself I'd never waste my time conversing with you again... where do you get your "facts" from exactly?

I'm a British engineer so read expert in British manufacturing capacity... we manufacture a metric-f*ck-ton more than most idiots like yourself realise... in no particular order: agricultural/construction equipment, electronics, satellites, aero-engines, automotive, weapons, pharmaceuticals/chemical, food/drink... much of the above being world leading and unsourcable outwith the UK...

As for Churchill's vision... it certainly was not for the bureaucratic monstrosity that we actually ended up with.

To anyone outwith the UK/EU questioning our wisdom in leaving, ask yourselves this... would YOU hand over the same level of power to UNELECTED and effectively UNACOUNTABLE officials in other countries and allow them to dictate to you how your country was going to be run?   

Didn't think so...

Craig

Well said, Craig, spot on. Gotta love these instant experts who have apparently got all kinds of insights into what's happening thousands of miles away, but not under their own noses (and no sense of history, to boot). And whose comments tell us a lot about their own isolated, prejudiced or ill-informed world view, but little else.

• Like 1

What is a metric-f+ck-ton?

There's only one ton: the ton - like in 1000 kilograms.

Long tons, short tons, punds, stones - nobody outside the stone-age uses those anymore. Except for the US, they've standardized and progressed to bronze-age already.

Good for them, they're already seeing the benefit of the metric-system.

- So what is the total output-volume of electronics compared to - say China? Pretty much zip.

- How many *satellites* (well, actually it's more like sub-components of satellites) do you build? How many do other countries build?

- Aero-engines - well, yeah, except that RR has built up assembly-lines on the continent. Large parts of future developments (e.g. geared fan) are primarily based in Germany.

- Airbus - well, they're building the wings in Britain. Then again, Airbus has pulled-up final assembly lines in China and Alabama. I don't think (IF the crap should really hit the fan), they're afraid of pulling the investment back to the continent.

- Automotive - sorry, but that's really laughable. The once proud UK car industry is no more. Most companies are foreign-owned and investments can be pulled elsewhere in a heartbeat. Eastern Europe is probably sore from clapping their hands right now.

Everybody already does. It's called globalization.

Rule Britannia is a thing of the past. Get over it.

Also: What's the fuss about "unelected officials" all about?

How many people in your current national government do you elect directly or indirectly and how many people are there nonwithstanding the election's outcome?

The ratio is about 5:95 in favour of the unelected officials. And guess who is making policy behind closed doors and backchannels.

There is an EU-parliament election - people just choose not to vote, for lack of understanding and care for the EU in general.

Now smack my arse and call me Judy if that ain't the same people that later complain about the lack of representation.

Stop the personal attacks now - or this thread is history!

Of course you can speculate all you like on this....but that is all you are doing..nothing more.

Yes FACT democracy in action..........however when Simon Cowell puts things out to public vote they are generally less serious in nature.

I hate the current EU too, but I am not that sure that leaving would be the solution, and it could mean severe consequences both for the UK and the rest of Europe. I thought that to change the EU from the horrible thing it is now, one should fight in it, not to flee from it.

Anyway, if you want a symbolic gesture, don't burn the flag, wash it.

I voted to leave the European Union not because I hate Europe, but because of the level of Migrants moving to Britain to settle here and enjoy the British benefits system. I currently have 3 Polish families on my street who have been here for about 9 months and none of them are working, yet they are claiming housing benefits etc, and it stinks.One of the cheeky bastards even asked me in broken English for directions to the benefits office in town, absolutely ridiculous.

We here in Britain must reclaim control of our borders and control the level of migrants coming to Britain. And that's not all, my Doctor in town has told me that the client base at his practice has swollen to 3 times its size in the last 4 years and most of the new patients are foreign migrants who want access to our free NHS care system. This is absolutely unacceptable and it is not sustainable either.

The only way we were ever going to take control of our borders and stem the flow of migrants into Britain was to get out of Europe. And that's what we voted for on Thursday.

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY
  • Like 2

What is a metric-f+ck-ton?

Its an expression... get over it...

You pointed out yourself there is "one ton" then went on to explain yourself that you were wrong.... do I need to go further on this point?

- So what is the total output-volume of electronics compared to - say China? Pretty much zip.

Why restrict to China?

The UK electronics sector is worth around £75 Bn p/a. We're ranked 5th by volume globally...

Much like Airbus could pull out of the UK what is to stop RR doing the exact same thing? As long as it makes business sense in current locations things will continue as usual.

Automotive, yes a lot (not all) of it is owned by foreign firms... many of which themselves are outwith the EU... is it so inconceivable that the UK and India /Japan could come to an arrangement between themselves without EU interference?

Everybody already does. It's called globalization.

So you're saying Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan, Russia, Canada and the USA allow the EU to dictate domestic policy to them? I think you've missed the point.

Why exactly can the UK not be part of the global market without being part of the EU? Not being part of the EU will allow the UK to draw up trade agreements without EU interference, we have already lost out on deals with China and New Zealand and Canada because of bureaucratic bull in various EU countries that is in no way related to the matter at hand... We just freed ourselves from having our hands tied by people that don't actually have a stake in the deal.

Craig

• Like 1

do I need to go further on this point?

Yes, please.

Why restrict to China?

The UK electronics sector is worth around £75 Bn p/a. We're ranked 5th by volume globally...

Where is it all going?

How much of that is currently going to the continent, toll-free?

Who do you think will give you a deal as good as, or better than, the current one under EU trade-deals?

Much like Airbus could pull out of the UK what is to stop RR doing the exact same thing? As long as it makes business sense in current locations things will continue as usual.

Depends.

If Britain can get into a status like Norway or Switzerland (which would be a stupid move, as you have to pay all the money and get none of the vote), nothing would change much at all.

But if the EU sends Britain down in flames, trade-deals will have to be made from scratch. With everybody.

That includes most of the parts going to RR, Dowty or other high-tech firms.

Automotive, yes a lot (not all) of it is owned by foreign firms... many of which themselves are outwith the EU... is it so inconceivable that the UK and India /Japan could come to an arrangement between themselves without EU interference?

Why build a car in Britain, which only gives you tax- and toll-free access to Britain, when you could have built one in Britain and have tax- and toll-free access to the whole of Europe?

There is a slight difference in appeal there.

So you're saying Brazil, China, Japan, Mexico, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan, Russia, Canada and the USA allow the EU to dictate domestic policy to them? I think you've missed the point.

The EU is not dictating anything. Britain has (well, had) representatives in Brussels, just like any other country has.

Much like your representative in parliament is representing you (or not).

Just because it all happens in a place a little farther away, doesn't make it a dictatorship.

Trade deals involve a set of agreements and concessions between two countries that have to be complied with, in order to validate the deal.

You'll have to do X, but you'll get Y for that. If both parties agree on it, they'll settle and sign.

Same has happened between the EU and Britain - with Britain getting lots of concessions from the EU ever since, and behaving like a spoiled brat all the time.

I don't see where there is any dictating going on whatsoever. If anybody screwed another, it has been Britain screwing the EU.