TMF F-14 Tomcat Super Pack v1.32

The Mirage Factory F-14 Tomcat Super Pack V1.32 22 APR, 2017

What it is:
This is the F-14 Tomcat Super Pack v1.32 Full. It includes addition of Direct Lift Control to the Flight Model, AI AIM-54 Phoenix Missiles, modified Iranian F-14 loadouts and other minor adjustments.

=================

Installation:

=====CAUTION=====
1. This was tested at July 2013 patch level, on an "All 5 Merged" install, as well as a "vanilla" SF2:NA install. Because it uses AvionicsF14A.dll, will require at least SF2:NA (or a TW F-14) to work! It will not work on Gen 1 sims, nor will it work correctly on pre-April 2012 installs! (Caveat: Avionics70.dll F-14D should work on pre-April patch levels).

2. It is HIGHLY recommended you back up your current F-14s to a back up folder. If you have extra skins installed and wish to keep your current folders, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN to delete the cockpit folders from each aircraft folder after backing up, as this install features updated cockpits, and retention of the old folders will lead to artifacting on the RWR, VDI, and other systems. If you have custom skins installed, be sure to back up your F-14(A/A+/B/D).ini to preserve the texture set data.
=================

1. Unzip the contents of the F-14SP_V132.7z file into a folder.

1a. If you have installed the Avionics70 F-14D, ensure you back up the .ini files if you haven't renamed the bird, since this install will overwrite F-14D_92, 96 and 06!

2. Open your Strike Fighters 2 mod folder (e.g., C:\User\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\...)

3. CAUTION: (ONLY FOR PRE-v1.30 VERSIONS), DELETE THE PRE-1.30 COCKPIT FOLDERS!!! FAILURE TO DO SO WILL CAUSE ARTIFACTING ON THE VDI, HSD, RWR, AND POSSIBLY OTHER SYSTEMS!!!

3.a. IGNORE STEP 3 IF YOU ARE UPDATING v1.30 OR v1.31

4. Copy the contents of the unzipped Effects, Flight, Missions, Objects, and Sounds folders into your SF2 mod folder, allowing all files to overwrite (Effects, Flight, Missions, Objects\Aircraft, Objects\Weapons, etc).

4a. (RECOMMENDED) Review the flight manual for tactical employment of the F-14.

5. Go fly!

NOTE:
If this either a new install or an update to the F-14SP v1.30 or 1.31, follow the above procedure, allowing all files to overwrite. If this is an update to 1.14-1.22, follow step 3; for in-depth instructions, follow the F-14SP V132 Installation Instructions.pdf

=================

EXTRAS:

-You may choose to use the Avionics70.dll F-14D for SAR mode on strike missions. If you wish to do so, see Section 6 of the F-14 SP Update V132 word document (Para 6.1-6.3) for install procedures and recommendations.

=================

Aircraft Included:

F-14A (1974-1984, 1982-1995, 1996-2004)
Iranian F-14A (1977-2030)
F-14A+ (1987-1990)
F-14B (1991-1995, 1996-2005)
F-14D (1992-1995, 1996-2006, 2005-2006)

=================

List of effective changes:

v1.32 22 Apr 2017

1. Added Direct Lift Control, based on Cliff7600's spoiler speedbreak mod
2. Added AI Phoenix missiles with Rmax of 65nm to improve AI F-14 Probability of Kill
3. Updated flight manual to reflect DLC change and AI AIM-54 (now 75pgs)
4. Assigned White external fuel tanks to F-14A_74 and F-14A_IR (IR does not carry externals by default)
5. Fixed White fuel tank capacity (was not adjusted with grey tank prior)
6. Updated Iranian F-14A loadouts to better match most current data from ACIG
7. Updated/Added Iranian AIM-7E-3 and AIM-9J models to equip Iranian F-14As
8. Changed F-14A_IR availability date to 2030

v1.31 1 Aug 2016

1. Updated engine static thrust to match NATOPS installed measurements
2. Updated flight manual to reflect thrust change

v1.30 11 Jun, 2016

1. Updated F-14A/B cockpit by Chris "ToS" with tweaks by Crusader & Caesar
2. Fixed radar scan elevation in VSL-Hi
3. Adjusted aircraft empty weights to remove gun ammo and trapped fuel
4. Added AI F-14s to improve AI survivability in a dogfight
5. Adjusted default gun tracking range to 1000ft/305m. Gun is now more accurate both with and without lock. (Crusader noticed & it was implemented)
6. Adjusted auto-departure numbers to allow the aircraft to fly and depart more naturally
7. Adjusted maximum altitude to provide player engines a buffer between 55,000 and 60,000 feet.
8. Updated cockpit avionics & weapon symbology
9. Updated Wing Sweep schedule and gave Glove Vanes smooth animation to match NATOPS
10. Reduced effectiveness of ALQ-100 & 126
11. Adjusted bands on the AN/ALR-45/50 to match published data
12. Adjusted AoA Indexer to match NATOPS (green = slow, yellow = on-speed, red = fast)
13. Adjusted F-14D_96 loadouts to remove extra AIM-7 loaded into Station 5 alongside AIM-54s
14. Adjusted Sedjil pylon allowable weight (was too low to equip missile)
15. Added inaugural cruise paint schemes for VF-1, -2, -14, -24, -32, -41, -84, -114, and -213
16. Adjusted avionics symbology
17. Added 74-page F-14 SP Flight Manual “F-14SP 01-F14ABD-1.pdf”
18. Fixed ACM Panel (Crusader)
19. Fixed F-14A_82 CAP loadout, which put the ALE-29/39 in the wrong location
20. Fixed jettison point of ECA/EFA to forward Phoenix Station 6R to match installed location
21. Changed skins to .jpeg format to significantly reduce size of mod without sacrificing detail
22. Adjusted external tank fuel quantities to 1800 lbs/tank (maximum internal and external fuel together now matches real-world 19,800lbs, rather than over 20,000lbs).
23. Adjusted engine thrust and Specific Fuel Consumption (SFC). The F110 had approximately 60% of the TF30’s SFC. The F110 was adjusted to lower SFC, while the TF30 was adjusted to increase SFC.

=================

Credits:

Model: Flying Toaster, Oli
Cockpit: Chris (original and new update) with tweaks by Crusader and Caesar
FM: ThirdWire, Caesar, Column5, Spectre8750, Cliff7600
Avionics: Crusader, ThirdWire, Sup Gen, Caesar, Dave, CrazyhorseB34
Pilots: Old_Diego, CrazyhorseB34
Skins: Dave, Spectre8750, Column5, Caesar
NATOPS Textures: Chris
Extra Hangar and Loading Screens: Dave
Ejection Mod: Stary
Testing: Caesar, Sup Gen, Dave, EricJ, Spectre8750, Saisran, Cougar_1979
Weapons: Ravenclaw, wpnssgt, Bunyap and others
New Phoenix: Ravenclaw
Manuals/Flight Manual: Caesar

===Dedidacted to Oli===

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    06/28/2016
  • Category

• Like 7

Still looking thru the package, very nice job!

One question, In the Cockpit folders that are some *tmp files? Not sure what those are, can I delete them? 

Also, LOL on the fleet of AIs! Wow!

It's a great work! thank you very much! but I hope have new F-14A and new F-14D cockpits

Still looking thru the package, very nice job!

One question, In the Cockpit folders that are some *tmp files? Not sure what those are, can I delete them? 

Also, LOL on the fleet of AIs! Wow!

For the .tmp files, I must have missed those.  Don't think they serve any purpose, so you should be able to delete them without problem.

It's a great work! thank you very much! but I hope have new F-14A and new F-14D cockpits

Well, so would we, but we don't have an F-14D cockpit available right now.  For the F-14A cockpit, you can use the ThirdWire one if you want (I'd recommend the pit from F-14A_77 if you're going to do that).  Check the Knowledge Base for how to add/change cockpits.

For the .tmp files, I must have missed those.  Don't think they serve any purpose, so you should be able to delete them without problem.

Well, so would we, but we don't have an F-14D cockpit available right now.  For the F-14A cockpit, you can use the ThirdWire one if you want (I'd recommend the pit from F-14A_77 if you're going to do that).  Check the Knowledge Base for how to add/change cockpits.

I suggest to use TK's cockpit,and use the VDI HSD and HUD of this pack,maybe it's a good choose

Already downloaded it, but I don't have my own PC here. Can't wait to try it!

Thank you!

So, I've not messed about with the F-14 (busy modding more than playing anymore - LOL). I've been flying the F-14s with the cockpit provided in the pack...so whats all this cockpit switching and needing new cockpit talk about? Whats the diff - the TW version seem more in line with the other cockpits...and the ones in the pack are darker...

I think SUDNAVY wants an F-14A pit for the F-14A and an F-14D pit for the F-14D.  We have neither.  We use a unified F-14B cockpit, but with changes to the avionics and displays to provide as close an approximation to either as possible.  So, I made the recommendation that if he wants an F-14A cockpit in the F-14A to use the ThirdWire one.  Pretty much the only difference between the A and B cockpits are that the F-14B had the AN/ALR-67 threat warning display, while the F-14A did not have any separate RHAW display in the front cockpit (other differences prior to the 2000-03 SparrowHawk HUD upgrade were minor, and included the stall warning lights, installed with Airframe Change 654 starting in 1982 - so F-14A_74 and IR wouldn't have had those, but F-14A_82,_96 and all F-14Bs and Ds would).  For the F-14D, the pit layout is significantly different, but we don't have an F-14D cockpit, so again, its a difference in avionics and radar displays, while using the F-14B layout from a cockpit perspective.

Problem with the TW pit is that it doesn't have LANTIRN or Air-to-Ground weapon symbology, so you wouldn't want to use it for F-14A_96, and its a ThirdWire .LOD model, so we can't put it in the pack anyway.  I also do not believe you can cycle the VDI or HSD in the TW pit.  So, to get the ECMD on the HSD, I think you have to power off the radar.  There might be a way to add cycling displays, but I don't think we've tasked anyone to try, since, again, it's a TW product, and we don't (and can't) include it in the pack.

Just got a very quick try... yes we got new Tomcats !

Caesar and Crusader, thank you for details like the SEAM lock light now working only when it's supposed.

New radar modes; VDI different simbols with new colors; very good.

Very impressive!!!  :airplane:   :clapping:

dumb question - why the AI files?  They do come up as flyable and they are, why are they there?

• Like 1

Very impressive!!!  :airplane:   :clapping:

dumb question - why the AI files?  They do come up as flyable and they are, why are they there?

I removed the "cockpit" line in the plane ini files for the AI planes....so they become AIs and not show up on the selection list...I hope that was ok?

Edited by viper63a
  • Like 1

It is outlined in the overview, but that sucker is long, and I anticipate most people won't read it.  The AI F-14s are included for your use as either wingmen, or as AI aircraft within a mission/campaign.  They have a hard 7.33g limiter to prevent them from doing the "one-and-done" super-high "g" pull at the merge and leaving themselves sitting ducks, as the AI usually does with the player F-14s.  While the team experimented with these aircraft over the past year, I re-validated the use of the limiter for the AI recently, and an AI controlled F-14A 74-AI wound up out-maneuvering and gunning an Su-30, simply because the limiter forced the AI to keep more energy to use at different points in the fight.

As to deleting the cockpit line, that's fine.  The AI planes aren't supposed to be used by the player.  You CAN use them if you want by dropping in a cockpit from another player F-14, but they were designed explicitly for AI control (as outlined above, I usually assign my wingmen AI-series F-14s so they don't suck so bad in a dogfight).

• Like 2

I removed the "cockpit" line in the plane ini files for the AI planes....so they become AIs and not show up on the selection list...I hope that was ok?

I did do that and it works fine. Just curious. 

It is outlined in the overview, but that sucker is long, and I anticipate most people won't read it.  The AI F-14s are included for your use as either wingmen, or as AI aircraft within a mission/campaign.  They have a hard 7.33g limiter to prevent them from doing the "one-and-done" super-high "g" pull at the merge and leaving themselves sitting ducks, as the AI usually does with the player F-14s.  While the team experimented with these aircraft over the past year, I re-validated the use of the limiter for the AI recently, and an AI controlled F-14A 74-AI wound up out-maneuvering and gunning an Su-30, simply because the limiter forced the AI to keep more energy to use at different points in the fight.

As to deleting the cockpit line, that's fine.  The AI planes aren't supposed to be used by the player.  You CAN use them if you want by dropping in a cockpit from another player F-14, but they were designed explicitly for AI control (as outlined above, I usually assign my wingmen AI-series F-14s so they don't suck so bad in a dogfight).

I scanned through it but missed that.  Have to go back and RTFM.  :rtfm:

that does make sense.  I flew one of the AI planes since they do have a cockpit and come up - just curious. 

Great project, very impressive.  Thanks, neighbor.   :good:

• Like 1

Hello,

This is a beautiful Pack Mod! And the documentation is very well done!!!

Any F-14D cockpit would be the cherry on top... and an amazing project for our brilliant modders. :salute:

Bravo, :clapping:

Coupi

Edited by Coupi

So, for everyone's SA, I had the engine thrust a little jacked up and fixed it (static installed; the engines are still using the new dynamic altitude/airspeed values) for 1.31.  If you don't want to re-download the entire pack, you can instead adjust the thrust for each engine.  Use the following values:

For the TF30s:

SLThrustDry=48374.41
SLThrustWet=76064.59

For the F110s:

SLThrustDry=61385.46
SLThrustWet=104978.03

As a side note : an interesting info I found on Iranian Tomacts at the begining of the Iran-Iraq war :

Can someone explain how they could operate the Phoenix, but not the Sidewinder? The Sparrow, I can understand because its radar and systems need to be mated to the F-14's onboard computer, but the basic heat seeking AIM-9? Specially when the F-5's and F-4's used them.

It wasn't about 'being able': it was about what was there, what was already integrated into the IIAF's, then IRIAF's F-14s - and what not. 

In peace-time, immediately after delivery, the IIAF was busy working up its F-14-units, and training their flying- and ground crews. There was no rush to add Sidewinders and Sparrows to them, because there was no reason to do so: only available variants were AIM-7Es and AIM-9Js - which were dating back to 1970. The IIAF was not curious to use these on F-14s, but waiting for its turn to get AIM-7Fs, AIM-9Hs and AIM-9Ls (the latter were about to arrive together with the first batch of F-16A/Bs). 

And thus, when the war began, IRIAF F-14s were flying armed with AIM-54s and M61A1 gun only. Even then, there was no urgency: because everybody expected that war to be short, i.e. end by the end of 1980 at least, and it was more urgent to re-train crews and bring aircraft back to operational condition, nobody cared to launch an integration. 

The work on integration of AIM-7Es and AIM-9Js thus began only in early 1981, and was completed in February that year, 'six months after the start of the war'.

I'd like to add that the AIM-9J, a USAF variant, uses electric Peltier elements to cool the seeker, whereas the USNs AIM-9H and the dual branch AIM-9L (which were both ordered and not yetreceived by the IIAF) use gas cooling for their seekers (Nitrogen and Argon respectively). Thus when tensions started up with Iraq, the Iranian Air Force couldn't just slap the AIM-9Js on the F-14 as the F-14 doesn't have the right wiring in place. 

And for the reason Tom stated, Iranian F-14s weren't prepped to use AIM-9J as something better was on the way....

Likewise the IIAF never received AIM-7E-4s (tailor made AIM-7Es for the F-14As AWG-9 radar) as they preferred waiting for the AIM-7F instead (which IS made to work with the AWG-9).
Once the war broke out, I guess it took time to mate the AIM-7E/E-2/E-3 with the F-14s radar.

Kind regards,

link :

http://www.acig.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7270&start=120

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 1

That's kind of strange.  Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop's book indicate that the IRIAF F-14As were carrying AIM-9Ps in 1980 (not the J or the E), and had the AIM-7E-4.  In the front matter (p.22-23), it is explained that the first IRIAF F-14 kill was achieved with the 20mm Vulcan when an AIM-9P failed to achieve tone and the aircraft was closing on an Mi-25.  In the appendices, the first three kills are noted as being achieved by the Vulcan, AIM-9P and AIM-7E-4 on 7 Sep, then 10 Sep 1980.  The first Phoenix kill is listed as 13 Sep 1980.  The first fifty claimed kills (before the turn of 1981) all include AIM-9P and AIM-7E-4 kills alongside Vulcan and Phoenix kills, which makes me suspicious about the comment that they weren't carrying AIM-9 or AIM-7 at the start of the war, or that integration started in 1981.

This being said, the only source I have that has any depth on this is Cooper & Bishop's book, so if someone is operating off of different sources, it would be neat to see them and do some cross-referencing!  

That's kind of strange.  Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop's book indicate that the IRIAF F-14As were carrying AIM-9Ps in 1980 (not the J or the E), and had the AIM-7E-4.  In the front matter (p.22-23), it is explained that the first IRIAF F-14 kill was achieved with the 20mm Vulcan when an AIM-9P failed to achieve tone and the aircraft was closing on an Mi-25.  In the appendices, the first three kills are noted as being achieved by the Vulcan, AIM-9P and AIM-7E-4 on 7 Sep, then 10 Sep 1980.  The first Phoenix kill is listed as 13 Sep 1980.  The first fifty claimed kills (before the turn of 1981) all include AIM-9P and AIM-7E-4 kills alongside Vulcan and Phoenix kills, which makes me suspicious about the comment that they weren't carrying AIM-9 or AIM-7 at the start of the war, or that integration started in 1981.

This being said, the only source I have that has any depth on this is Cooper & Bishop's book, so if someone is operating off of different sources, it would be neat to see them and do some cross-referencing!  

Actually, the thread was on acig, and some posts are by Tom Cooper, but they were posted few days ago !

I strongly advise you to subscribe acig and read carefully this topic

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by jeanba

Sounds like they need to revise their book!  That contradicts the information published in 2004, so maybe more data came up.  Supposedly, they had purchased over 800 AIM-9P, AIM-7E-2 and E-4 missiles (p. 18), which the F-14s were compatible with.  Will have to take a look.

Sounds like they need to revise their book!  That contradicts the information published in 2004, so maybe more data came up.  Supposedly, they had purchased over 800 AIM-9P, AIM-7E-2 and E-4 missiles (p. 18), which the F-14s were compatible with.  Will have to take a look.

Most of them were not delivered in 1980 (if at all)

Cooper is well aware that he needs to revise his book, and that's why acig forum is a nice erratum

After all, it is a common situation in history and especially aviation history.

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 2

Concur!  It has been 12 years - more data gets found, claims get checked.  Will try to register there and see what's changed.

• Like 2

Concur!  It has been 12 years - more data gets found, claims get checked.  Will try to register there and see what's changed.

This forum is a must read !

acig.. yes indeed.

The last info about IRIAF weapon usage is the latest research result.