I'd love to know how to turn Strike Fighters 2 into a simulator - not like it is right now, but for example like it was in Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, only cockpit view, no hud at all etc...

Any settings/mods to do that?

I'd love to know how to turn Strike Fighters 2 into a simulator - not like it is right now, but for example like it was in Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, only cockpit view, no hud at all etc...

Under options, game play, set the default view point to "Cockpit", the display unit to "Use Default Unit based on aircraft type". set the Enemy skill level to either medium or hard, and the sim difficulty to hard.  Note that you will still have the speed/altitude/heading info on the L/H mini HUD.  You can hide this with an .ini mod if you wish.

Edited by Fubar512

I know about this, I've already set all of this. But it's still not enough to make a good simulator

Well then, perhaps you can start by defining precisely what it is that you are looking for.  I have also have IL-2 1946, and I find that SF2's jet aircraft flight dynamics are superior.

• Like 2

"good simulator"

-care to elaborate? Then we could maybe list the mods that up the SF2 experience? I bet there are folks apart from you that also would have a to the fullest realism kind of installation

Skyfly had the right idea. You can also extract HUDDATA.ini from the cat files.

You can edit things like this:

[Display004]
DisplayType=RADAR
PosX=0.865
PosY=0.015
//Width=0.125 <--- slashes comment this parameter out
//Height=0.16666667 <--- slashes comment this parameter out
Alpha=0.60
InitTime=2.0

Doing the above will "permanently" remove the radar from display. There are many other items in this file you can turn off by changing the setting from TRUE to FALSE. Take a look at this file and try things out to see what you can turn off. When done editing, place your edited file in the "Flight" folder. If no such folder is present, just create one in the mod folder main directory.

Hello,

No HUD at all? I don't understand that.

Strike Fighters 2 already goes in the "lite simulator" category I believe.

Although it is NOT an arcade game, it has options (like Fubar 512 and skyfly mentioned) that allows one to get either more "arcade style", or more "simulator" feeling.

About " Good simulator " :

If you're looking into hardcore, ultra-realistic combat flight simulators, there's: Falcon BMS, or DCS modules for instance.

Edited by Boresight

I know that, but my PC wouldn't handle DCS good + it's expensive if you really want to enjoy the game

I know that, but my PC wouldn't handle DCS good + it's expensive if you really want to enjoy the game

That's the case with many people yes, it's somewhat demanding on hardware capabilities.

So you have Falcon BMS, which I believe is much more reasonable about hardware.

Don't know if you are more into propellers or jets, but if try for instance F-14 on SF2: NA, you'll see that it already has a little complexity in therms of some avionics systems.

(And there's the MODs here at CA which give more realism to many aircraft.)

On flight models; weapons behavior; aircraft skins; teatre scenarios, SF2 already shows a lot I believe...

Edited by Boresight

Well, imho, SF2 is a really great game, every aspect is almost perfect, a lot of planes, I really like that they've managed to make a balanced dogfight with sidewinders and stuff. I've loved it since I installed it and so. The only thing that pisses me off is certainly the lack of multiplayer or any online features and full simulation, like DCS. Maybe it's my fault, or the game's fault, but I can't spot anything without someone pointing it out for me. I'm going to buy FreeTrack, hopefully it'll help in some way.

The only thing that pisses me off is certainly the lack of multiplayer or any online features and full simulation, like DCS. 

There are none

Well, imho, SF2 is a really great game, every aspect is almost perfect, a lot of planes, I really like that they've managed to make a balanced dogfight with sidewinders and stuff. I've loved it since I installed it and so. The only thing that pisses me off is certainly the lack of multiplayer or any online features and full simulation, like DCS. Maybe it's my fault, or the game's fault, but I can't spot anything without someone pointing it out for me. I'm going to buy FreeTrack, hopefully it'll help in some way.

If you're talking about enemy ground units for instance, in DCS forums I've once read exactly the same thing - they are very hard to spot in time.

Remember that; probably it's just like that in a real war situation.

Also, if it was very easy, you wouldn't have that realism feeling you are after in a simulator.

Edited by Boresight

If you're talking about enemy ground units for instance, in DCS forums I've once read exactly the same thing - they are very hard to spot in time.

Remember that; probably it's just like that in a real war situation.

Also, if it was very easy, you wouldn't have that realism feeling you are after in a simulator.

By hard to spot I mean enemy planes, when there are far away or even really close - I have to switch to external view to see something, even when the enemy is a mile away from me - that's where TrackIR would kick in. I see a lot of videos, where people fly F-15 in DCS and easily spot enemy planes or helicopters. I know the radar thingy helps them, but it doesn't work best in SF2 - or is it just me?

By hard to spot I mean enemy planes, when there are far away or even really close - I have to switch to external view to see something, even when the enemy is a mile away from me - that's where TrackIR would kick in. I see a lot of videos, where people fly F-15 in DCS and easily spot enemy planes or helicopters. I know the radar thingy helps them, but it doesn't work best in SF2 - or is it just me?

(Then I believe the concept we're talking about is "situational awareness"... which means something like, knowing what's going on around you - which enemies; how much of them; where; when; what are they doing; etc.)

About the radar helping more or less to get you looking to the right piece of sky, it depends greatly on which aircraft you're flying, however:

In SF2 when you get a Radar-lock on an enemy AC, you will automatically have a yelow diamond (target box) on the target, somewhere in your FOV.

Still, if you don't want that "simulator cheat", you can disable it (press Alt+D, one or more times)...

If you disable it, then only aircraft like the F-14 Tomcat or newer ones, can give you a true target box (green diamond, or other simbols) visible on the HUD, and you know your target will always be inside this box when you keep closing in, (provided you have Radar-lock).

When they are very close, either you step your options graphic settings up, or you must use the "target nearest enemy aircraft" cheat ( T key ).

Edited by Boresight

Try using model enlargement. It's under gameplay settings, it slightly magnifies aircraft and vehicles. Really helps if you have a small screen, but also won't nuke your computer with that urge to turn up anitaliasing if you have a big screen because of screen tearing. But if you don't want that you're kinda out of luck, unless I'm missing something. I've played DCS on a mild rig and I still had problems engaging targets within 10-5 miles without having to turn up MSAA to 8 and stare at the pixels on my screen trying to see if it's a MiG or Sukhoi. But don't feel bad man, I'm bottle necking so freaking hard on my R5 240 that turning on the LITENING pod and Maverick cam would end my frame's life. Sometimes you have to choose over handicaps over frames.

Sabro, if I understand you correctly, you have problems with spotting other airplanes in SF2?

Try the dot label mod: http://combatace.com/topic/86215-showing-label-as-a-dot-mod/

It displays a red/blue "dot" over enemy/friendly airplanes which are within a radius of 10 nm.

Really nice mod :) Could you provide any in-game pictures, how does it look with the mod enabled?