Sign in to follow this  
Velo

Speed in SF2 is slower than reality ?

I doubt that the speed in SF2 is slower than reality. Everytime i watch the trees buildings or roads below my feet when i am in low altitude flight, they pass intolerably slow.

Comparing with the low passby in Las Vegas ( DCS ), things movement is much slowler even if you at 500 knots.

This issue bother me all the time when i make my jet mod. I ve seached that in forum, but find no answer.

I guess focal length ( camera zooming ) is the reason. In my experiment, changing the zooming value dose make sense, but that also cause side effect: fish-eye lens. ( seem like this is not the right way)

So, is there any way to change the physics in SF2 ? By coding something for example, i `m not sure.

Or

alter the corresponding relation between velocity and unit.

Any information will be appreciate.

1) some older terrain mods feature unrealistically big trees thus giving slower speed feel.

2) FOV is indeed the biggest offender, I tend to play with wide view all the time when in cockpit (the F2 key) -haven't really noticed fish eye at that angle

Terrain is the default one. By the way, when i establish my model in real unit, i find some jet mod is a little bigger than reality. However, just a little.

Whether the FlightEngine.dll in \Strike Fighters 2\Core could be the key? 

No the dlls have nothing to do with the units. Units are just that, arbitrary units. If you use one of the available measurement tools (I think Fast Cargo uploaded few ages ago) or make yourself one then you'll see that the terrain keeps the glbal units system so 2km tile is 2km. As for some airplanes not matching exactly, which ones those would be> Stock or more likely 3rd party ones?

humm.....   That sounds strange. Since the unit of length is correct, time may be the reason left. But time in game matches the reality in my test.

very strange.

As the Jet model size, i m not sure the TW`s models match exactly. Some other mod have the issue. It s fine, just a little.

Edited by Velo

you're not the only one saying the speeds feel off, been raised on numerous occasions in the past but it's just the mix of FOV, terrain engine etc. Would feel pretty different if the mesh resolution of terrains was five times denser than it is (500 meters vertex spacing in SF2 HFD format terrains)

Yes, the sensation of speed is mostly dependend on FOV, and LOD of the scenery.
The influence of FOV you can easily notice while taking off. Just zoom in and out (= changing FOV) while you move down the runway. Fully zoomed in  (= small FOV) the speed seems very slow compared to fully zoomed out (= big FOV).

Would feel pretty different if the mesh resolution of terrains was five times denser than it is (500 meters vertex spacing in SF2 HFD format terrains)

In the HFD file you can define arbitrary vertex spacing. But I don't know how the graphic engine will handle it. I think TK mentioned once that the HFD resolution should (or must) be 4 times the TFD resolution. Or in other words if the tile size is 2000m then the height field vertex spacing must be 500m. Maybe we should just test it, if the engine can handle smaller vertex spacings.

nah I have and run 8 (when usinh 250 meters resolution heightfield data) or 16 (125 meters in Korea3 test) times the spacing in the rebuild test versions of Korea3 and Kamchatka, works ok with additional tweaks to data ini

Mue, so you say it is defined in .hfd too? Which bytes by chance? Also, any dat about the highest point in given terrain? Doing some tests I was able to move the clouds back to more realistic altitudes (say above 2 kilometers compared to now over 4km) and got the impression the flatter the terrain the lower the clouds -so the clouds bahave based on some highest point data; I wonder if that is defined in the header etc as this way we could HEX the values and move the clouds lower

very interestering discussion!!

• Like 3

yup Kevin, I shall post my denser resolution terrains soon and I am sure you'll be happy to dig into it :ok: just will need your permission for Korea3 one

Isn't the stock field of view set at 60 degrees ? Where as the average or the human eyes is about 170 allowing for peripheral vision ? Maybe try resetting the viewlist INI setting from 60 to summat higher......just a thought.

@stary....love your terrain experiments m8, just a pity I have no time to fly anymore.

• Like 1

Permission Granted, my friend! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I Changed these 2 For a better feel of speed

FOV= (field of view)

OffsetDistance= (distance to cockpit panel)

From my install:

[ViewClass002]
ViewClassName=CockpitViewClass
ViewType=FIXED_VIEW
ViewGroupID=1
DefaultView=CockpitFront
AllowFromDiffGroup=TRUE
SnapView=FALSE
InsideView=TRUE
FocusObjectOnly=TRUE
FOV=70.0
PitchControl=CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS
YawControl=CAMERA_YAW_AXIS
RollControl=
ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL
JumpToViewSameGroup=FALSE
JumpToViewDiffGroup=TRUE
SmoothAngleTransition=TRUE
SmoothPositionTransition=FALSE
SmoothFOVTransition=TRUE
RememberAngle=FALSE
RememberFOV=TRUE
LimitPitch=TRUE
LimitYaw=TRUE
LimitRoll=FALSE
ZoomFOV=TRUE
ZoomScale=0.01
PanScale=0.00160
MinSpeed=100.0
MaxSpeed=10000.0
Acceleration=2000.0
AngleRates=480.0,360.0,360.0
FOVRate=60.0
MinAngles=-135.0,-20.0,0.0
MaxAngles=135.0,110.0,0.0
MinFOV=15.0
MaxFOV=120.0
OffsetDistance=0.13
TrackIRUseAbsolutePos=TRUE

Edited by Happy308

Happy308

be careful with the second value you adjusted, OffsetDistance=0.13, which I think by default is 0.1 (that is 10 cm) as this is NOT distance to the cockpit panel but the zero position in cockpit (the global origin point, or more correctly world-space 0,0,0 coordinates when in Max)

post-8911-0-19086200-1469391630_thumb.jpg

then that OffsetDistance value also determines the distance at which head position (cockpit view) pans when looking around, the head/eyes postion is not fixed and thus can move a bit to the sides when turning head to the left or right, that is more visible in smaller, more cramped cockpit meshes (think Bf-109E vs F-15C)

Actually, I set OffsetDistance value a little more than yours. Of curse cooperate with wider FOV . That cause the distortion in view corner noticeable. For individual aircraft, I think there should be a balance point between sensation of speed and distortion in field of view.

By the way, OffsetDistance value may cause the camera out of cockpit room space when player turnning his head in some situations. So should be carefull. Anyway, modding the viewlist.ini can solve this problem...... half.

As for higher density of terrain, "KoreaV3",

Should i install Korea3 visual update v 1.1.7z first, then install Korea3 megaupdate v1.7z ?

A sort of "off-topic" - Stary, what cockpit is that? :crazy:

TU-16 Badger I keep in hiatus for over two years :sad:

• Like 2

We ran a test to prove that everything in the SF world was of proper relative size a few years ago, by placing a ship on open water,  centering its return blip on an aircraft's radar, and then flying that aircraft towards it at a carefully controlled speed and timing the event with a stop-watch.

It took pretty much the exact time that it should have, given a 600-knot closure rate, so speeds in this series pretty much reflect those in the real-world.  What's off in the SF world are the terrain maps, which are roughly at 60% scale.

Edited by Fubar512