Sign in to follow this  
Foxhound1

Non-dynamic campaigns?

Hi all!

Has anyone made any non-dynamic campaigns for SF2? As in, where you progress in a linear fashion from mission to mission in the old school fashion of Fleet Defender and US Navy Fighters among others, with text briefings informing you how the war/conflict is progressing. I believe the IL-2 1946 crowd refer to them as "static campaigns."

I can certainly appreciate the replayability of dynamic campaigns, but my personal preference (I may be in the minority here) has always been for more scripted campaigns with some kind of narrative (even if it's just text briefings).  

you can do it as set of missions you play in order, like it's done by infamous* YAP products

other than that, I have no idea

*personal opinion

the main thing lacking are mission-specific briefing texts (like in the Janes ATF/USNF/FA series), so it's impossilbe to "carry the plot line" within the game. Externally, yes; sepreate text or pdfs for each mission sitting somewhere's else.

that thing has been lacking since the release of the original games, and would have pushed this series into a wonderfull place for story telling

• Like 3

as a side note true but I would love other titles to have even 50% of Thirdwire's dynamic campaign's system implemented. And roger, forgot how YAP puts the briefings into external pdfs

That's a shame. It seems like adding support for displaying custom briefing/debriefing text and the ability to link missions to play one after the other would be relatively trivial things to code. But since it doesn't look like SF2 will be getting any more expansions, and it's very unlikely that TK will ever release the source code, I guess it's not gonna happen...

Modders have released some truly creative campaigns for Il-2 1946, like being a seaplane pilot operating from a Japanese cruiser or taking on the role of a Beaufighter pilot stranded with his crew behind enemy lines in the Pacific, etc. I would love to see more personal stuff like this in the vast time-span covered by SF2 and its mods... there are certain things that simply can't be done in dynamic campaigns.