UK_Widowmaker

How many of you knew about these guys?

I sure as hell didn't

'American Samurai'
Two color guards and color bearers of the Japanese-American 100th Battalion, 442d Combat Team, stand at attention, while their citations are read. They are standing on ground in the Bruyères area, France, where many of their comrades fell. November 12 1944 
(Bruyères is a commune in the Vosges department in Lorraine in northeastern France)
Through a series of costly battles—first in Italy, then in France—the 442nd Regimental Combat Team would become the most highly decorated unit of its size and length of service in the history of the U.S. Army, receiving an unprecedented 8 Presidential Unit Citations, 21 Medals of Honor, and 9,486 Purple Hearts.
The 4,000 men of the team who first went into action in 1943 had to be replaced three and a half times to make up for those who were killed, wounded, and missing in action. They helped win Japanese Americans’ personal battle as well, proving that their loyalty to the United States was beyond question. On July 15, 1946, the survivors of the 442nd marched down Constitution Avenue in Washington, D.C., becoming the first military unit returning from the war to be reviewed by President Harry S. Truman. “You fought not only the enemy,” President Truman told them that day, “you fought prejudice, and you have won.”
(Photo source - US Signal Corps SC196716)
(Colorized by Jared Enos from the USA)

post-22245-0-42400900-1470161582_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I have been aware of the unit for years, but then I am from the USA and US WWII history is one of my hobbies. 

• Like 2

Known about them for years.

I think there were a couple movies made about them.

• Like 1

My military history magazine had a two volume article on this group. Great story!

• Like 1

sure did know about them.

one of my friends from school, his father served in the 442nd.

• Like 2

08-02-16

Watch the movie Go For Broke (1951) 

The most decorated unit in US military history, and made up of Japanese-American volunteers, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team fights heroically despite widespread prejudice from fellow soldiers. The 442 battles the Nazis while slogging through Italy, and suffering humiliation from their scornful commander, Lt. Grayson.

Fatman

• Like 2

08-02-16

Watch the movie Go For Broke (1951) 

The most decorated unit in US military history, and made up of Japanese-American volunteers, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team fights heroically despite widespread prejudice from fellow soldiers. The 442 battles the Nazis while slogging through Italy, and suffering humiliation from their scornful commander, Lt. Grayson.

Fatman

GREAT Movie.

CL

They are fairly well known, I've read a lot of articles on them in the early 90s

There was even a TV porgram showing their action in the Vosges

First I ever heard of them. *ducks from incoming tomatoes*

"Only the Brave." is another good movie about them to watch.

I watched the one with Van Johnson years ago. Those guys were amazing.

In all of World History this was a first in many ways. The record, the sacrifice, the selflessness, and the honor to name a few. I am very proud of all our brothers and sisters in uniform regardless of nationality or race that have given so much to the defend the idea and principles of freedom. A ribbon and acknowledgement of service hardly seem worth the sacrifices so many have given and continue to give. It always reminds of that bumper sticker that says, "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!"

My sincerest appreciation to all who have worn a uniform.

!S

• Like 1

I knew them very well, and had always been amazed that no big Hollywood Jerry Bruckheimer's CGI movie about them had ever been made in the 21th Century. Yet I did not know 'Only the brave', I may give a try. In the Vosges, there was a famous story about a 'lost battalion' relieved by the 442nd (can be found on any 'lost battalion' search). Daniel Inouye, former officer disabled and MoH, had been actually "senator for life" for Hawaii 1963-2012.

The most incredible, and a shame for the States, is that when these 'second-class American' heroes wrote to their families, the adress was usually some internment camp in Nevada... I don't remember the actual English words, but an unofficial motto of the Nisei was something like: "We believe in a country who does not believe in us."