Sign in to follow this  
Pensy101

Strike Fighters 2 Med Crisis-campaign unwinnable

Hello all,

I've been playing a great deal of the SF2NA enhancement packs (Indian Ocean, North Cape, Black Sea, etc.) lately and I love them to death, especially with the Tomcat SuperPack from the Mirage Factory. I just finished a playthrough of the "Powder Keg" campaign on the Med Crisis mod, though (based on the campaign from ​Fleet Defender ​o​f the same name) and I have a bit of a problem. FYI, this is my second playthrough of this particular campaign, for reasons that I'm about to explain. The first time around, the Eisenhower Carrier Group (referred to hereafter as the ECG) took out both the Minsk Carrier Group and the Moskva Carrier Group in the first few missions, while the Soviet airborne units landed on Crete and started going after the Greeks (On both playthroughs, I flew an F-14A 82 with VF-143 Pukin' Dogs.) The Soviet Surface Group fell shortly thereafter to the ECG airstrikes, and then it settled into a rhythm of endless Libyan airstrikes versus the miniscule Greek forces on Crete and their air support while the Soviet paras and marines made it all the way to Chaina IAP, where they stayed for the rest of the campaign. The ground war on Crete stagnated, and with the arrival of the Kennedy Carrier Group (hereafter referred to as the KCG), the Soviets started hurling bombers at the ECG. I managed to hold off the raids with only the loss of the cruiser USS California, and the campaign ended with the Libyan Air Force all but destroyed with exception of two squadrons and Soviet forces holding their positions on Crete without advancing into the Greeks. Strangely enough, when the ECG and KCG merged in the last few missions, the ground attack planes (A-6s and A-7s) went on precisely ZERO missions, leaving the battered Soviets alone. The problem was, though, that after what I was sure was a victory (and the message "The order has been given to halt all air operations. This campaign is finished" on the final mission debriefing screen) I got the campaign defeat screen and text, despite the fact that the campaign, at least by my standards was a victory (only one ship lost, Soviet naval forces and Libyan Air Force destroyed, Soviet ground forces halted, carriers intact, etc.) I finished the second playthrough roughly 10 minutes ago and, without going into too much detail, the results were the same as last time yet I still got the defeat screen again. It seems to me like the campaign is unwinnable, and I have no idea how to fulfill the victory conditions. Again, I would assume that doing so well would mean a victory, but it just doesn't work. Do the Soviet ground forces have to be completely kicked of off Crete? In the campaign's current status, that is impossible, as the Greek ground forces on Crete are too weak to do much other than sit there and take the Soviet-Libyan onslaught, and once the KCG arrives, the ground attack planes don't do anything to take out whatever Soviets are left on Crete. I have no idea whatsoever how to "win" this campaign. If the Med Crisis mod creator is reading this, please help me! This is such a great mod and this seemingly unwinnable campaign is so annoying! Anyone who has any idea what is going on, please chime in on this thread. I'm sorry if this seemed long-winded, but I was frustrated and I had to go into detail about how the campaign played out so anyone reading this wouldn't have to ask too many questions. Thanks!

P.S.

I'm not knocking this mod or anyone. This is an amazing mod, as are all the mods I have for SF2, and I appreciate the time and effort that has gone into it. I'm just trying to provide constructive criticism to fix an issue.

This sounds like the same thing happening on the desert campaigns with the Add-On (sorry can't remember the name). When reaching Shandamar region, the ground campaign is stuck and you have to do a lot of bombing run and hoping something is happening sometime.

Still don't understand sweep mission when you have to patrol over a target an clear out targets and still fail even if i shot down 11 aircraft with my wingmens (5 foes left the aera after we had no bullet lefts). Guess we did not shot down the airplanes the top brass wanted down :) It's easy to know which one to shoot down if you use the full detailed in-game screen, but i don't use them at all as it is more immersive...

Like you, i play campaigns a lot and try to do simulated career just for the kick to play a pilot until he dies (or not but none of my pilot ever survive...)

So if you gat yous answer, i might have a clue for the desert campaigns and looking to had the SF2NA enhancement packs to my game

Same for OP_Corporate(SA) from the falklands mod. Ground forces STOP advancing despite the imminent wining and at the end date of the campaign you fail as a result if the ground forces not moving over the last positions.