Sign in to follow this  
531Ghost

Feeling a bit nostalgic, but...

unable to run Jane's F/A 18, Combat Flight Simulator, Combat Flight Simulator II on my current system even with compatibility modes set.  So, I broke out an old Win XP Pro Machine I had stored away.  Just have to figure out cable routing... in the Obutto to accommodate the two machines, mouses, keyboards...

Film at eleven.

I hope. 

• Like 2

Yeah I can't play my old mech commander game on Windows 10. I sill say XP was the best windows they made.

I wish I had the money to make an OS.

• Like 3

If you still have your install disc for Windows XP, you can use a virtual machine (e.g., VirtualBox) to run it within Win7/8/10.  It's been a long time since I've messed with VB, but it's an option if you can't get the games running in Compatibility Mode.

when will someone come up with a console device ,, like an x-box to run old pc games,, I miss Janes WW2  wow that's still open you better get these before their gone,,.http://www.ww2fighters.org/  aww looks like it's closed it's mods bummer got mine on a disk somewhere

Edited by yubba

Well, your PC can already do that if you have the right programs.  DOSBox allows you to play most DOS games up to 1995, and is so good at emulating the DOS environment that you can install and run Windows 1, 2, and 3.1/3.11 on it.  Where it gets trickier is in the 1996-2002 timeframe.  Compatibility modes are iffy; some games work, some don't, which is why a virtual machine is an option if you still own older versions of Windows (95, 98, etc.).  I seem to recall on Vista I was able to get MechWarrior 3 (released in 1999) running well enough, but its expansion Pirate Moon just would not run on that OS no matter what I tried.  GOG usually does a good job at getting the games from that timeframe to work on Win7+, though some don't work as well (e.g., Worms 2 has some problems with the menus).

Thanks guys.  But, my XP Pro machine is/was already set up for those titles.  Like I said, I'll need to figure out the routing of cables, powered USB Hub to connect to both systems...  Should be fun!

Did anyone ever get nostalgic about a game, and when you played it again your remembered why stopped playing it?

Can't say I've done that for a specific game, and for the most part, I've kept up a lot of my old consoles and DOS installs, so I haven't really been away from them long enough to feel "nostalgic" or have that feeling cloud my memory (e.g. with Atari VCS, NES, DOS, etc.)  What I will say, however, is that with games to compare the older ones to, I have come to realize that certain games really did have poor control or gameplay, and that it wasn't just me sucking at it!  Some that come to mind include Back to the Future, WWF Wrestlemania and some of the other LJN titles on the NES (especially).

• Like 1

Man those WCW game were crazy with controls back then. But those old school games did a some cool things that the ones don't do a lot. They have those extra little things. For instance Jet Fighter 3 .. you had people sending you emails about working with the F-22, out of cockpit experience I believe is something we talked about here before.

I saw a video yesterday that said, in the game, to toss a characters letter into the water. Well that letter is in the instruction booklet that came with the game. When you did that a secret code appeared once water made contact with it.

You're right some of those games did have messed up controls! Sadly there is one title that could've went somewhere but greed killed. It was part of the Capcom five.

Did anyone ever get nostalgic about a game, and when you played it again your remembered why stopped playing it?

Jane's F/A 18?  Hush you!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Jane's F/A 18?  Hush you!  :biggrin:

Oh I know I don't have a leg to stand on ... I mean Jane's Attack Squadron along with CFS3. I have love for those bombers too.

And (maybe because I'm 35 minutes away from the world's largest C-130 base) I have some love for those Herky Birds.

• Like 1

Has anybody given any thought to creating a VM on their Windows 7/8/10 box, and then try installing Windows 98 onto that VM, to run older games?