Sign in to follow this  
TheWarrior

B-29 tail gunner.

Hi all.

I'm trying to add a tail gunner to the B-29 and I have had no luck.  I have used the LOD viewer to ensure I'm placing him in the right location but he's still not visible. So, has any one ever done this successfully and if so how did you do it?

First off, are you using a pilot figure that faces backwards ? if you use a regular figure, he will be facing forwards, and thus may not be showing up, I assume, that you have put the figure in the correct place in the DATA.ini , and assuming that you have, then are the positional cooords correct, and have you used the models actual name ?. it would help if you posted up the DATA.ini part that points to this issue, as there may be some slight discrepancy , where you have added the figure.

Edited by trotski00
  • Like 1

it all depends on how you write the statements in the data ini

b29 rear gunner.JPG

• Like 1

yea was using a pilot figure facing backwards.  I'm pretty sure the location is correct.

Here's the ini section.

[TailGunner]
SystemType=GUNNER_STATION
SeatID=3
GunnerID=1
PilotModelName=
SetCockpitPosition=FALSE
Position=0.0,-12.30, 0.90
MinExtentPosition=-0.5,-19.5,-0.2
MaxExtentPosition=0.5,-18.5,1.0
PitchModelNodeName=TurretTail
YawModelNodeName=TurretTail
GunRange=2000
PitchAngleRate=90
MaxPitch= 60
MinPitch=-60
DefaultPitchAngle=0
YawLimited=TRUE
YawAngleRate=90
MaxYaw=210
MinYaw=150
DefaultYawAngle=180
HasArmor=TRUE
ArmorMaterial=STEEL
Armor[FRONT].Thickness=6
Armor

.Thickness=6

Armor
.Thickness=6

Armor[REAR].Thickness=9
Armor[TOP].Thickness=6
Armor[bOTTOM].Thickness=6

I think I might have figured it out though at 2:30 AM this morning.  I was having trouble adding a bombardier as well until it dawned on me he needs a  system name.  Once I did that the bombardier showed up.

I guess using the already existing data inis from various WW2 and post-war mods wasn't an option?? 99.9% the work has already been done (excepting the tail figure).

as to the gunner figure, you can't use the actual "gunner" statements as you've shown.  The figure won't show that way.

In fact, I've spent part of yesturday and today updating all the hit boxes (post WW2 version, but easily carried over to others, including the Tu-4) -- they are totally fouled up -- not even close to the aircraft's shape in some cases.

still have to reposition the fuel tank hit boxes (like the entire wings are gas tanks!!), and the tail gunner's hit box

but these are what the corrected boxes, minus those above look like

(this is where having the "Detail & Scale" books pays off)

b29 hitboxes.jpg

• Like 1

I thought there is no way to face a Pilot 180° ?! Is there a solution now except building a reveresed model?

Btw, do you guys have some ini fixes for the YAP B-29?

don't have YAP stuff

the gunner fix is using a figure model that's already facing backwards

don't have that one, either.