Sign in to follow this  
fedace101

Bombing runs with Mirage III?

seeing how it doesn't have a bomb sight like more modern jets. Whats the proper why of bombing with the Mirage III? I have a feeling the sight is set to a AoA and airspeed..

Essential reading over at SimHQ

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055b.html

You can adjust/pre-set the depression to get the desired value/result for aircraft with depressed sight

In the cockpit ini, there are three lines in the [GunsightFront] section
DefaultDepression=70
RocketDepression=55
GunDepression=20

DefaultDepression is always there (and used with all types of bombs), the other two have to be added

GunDepression is only used if the gun is selected with "next air to ground weapon" command

The depression settings above is what Im using in the TW Mirage IIIC / CZ.

Edited by Crusader

seeing how it doesn't have a bomb sight like more modern jets. Whats the proper why of bombing with the Mirage III?

Practice and gut feeling. You can be very precise after a few dozens missions with a plane, knowing when to release depending on your height, angle of attack, speed....

In a "dead is dead" Vietnam Campaign in F-8 (played like 3 years of game time, that is hundreds of missions), I could hit very quite precisely with most ordinances. Quite the same with the Mirage, as it's one of my fav'.

Thanks for the info... I'll keep practicing bombing runs in the Mirage III. I'll also try out that gun sight settings Crusader posted. 

Edited by fedace101

this was taken in  the F-105G I put a hud and ccip in ,, this for a reference to show you where you might want to set your bombsight was cominng in at -12  degrees,, 1100 ft,, 580knts,, bombs fell where sight was..

img00032

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by yubba
  • Like 1

I find most bombsights are set too high by default. At ~500ft AGL, 450 knots & release when the target disappears under the nose with a string of bombs should get you on target.

That's still one of the best mods ever for the Thud, Yubba. Cue the trolling "It's not realistic" replies...

I find most bombsights are set too high by default. At ~500ft AGL, 450 knots & release when the target disappears under the nose with a string of bombs should get you on target.

That's still one of the best mods ever for the Thud, Yubba. Cue the trolling "It's not realistic" replies...

aaaaw you are going to make me blush,, it's more of a edit and I got lucky it worked,,,As it's a F-105G and you can only get it to fly in a more of a  modern addon campaign starting in the 80's why shouldn't it have a hud and some modern avionics,, I'm glad I found that mod that hides the ccip sight ,, that wasn't realistic at all having that floating all over the pit,,, again thanks to all the guys that worked on the mods and the planes

just a little update, I started doing more strike mission in the Mirage IIIO and i think i'm starting to get a feel for it now. I'm using the two little vertical lines under the gun sight as my reference point. Also keeping an eye on my speed, AoA, and AGL. starting to hit the target on the 2nd or 3rd pass. lol i got lucky once and hit the target on the first pass once. 

Here's something for you to wrap your head around when you get bored of dive bombing

http://combatace.com...-radar-bombing/

Here is your free fall tables for. 555knts and mach 0.84   nautical miles are modeled in to the radar of your plane statued miles are displayed in your target information box ,and the higher you go the thinner the air so your air speed indicater will not show true speed, you confused yet..

1000ft =8sec=1.42 statued miles = 1.23nm

5000ft=17sec=3.02 statued miles = 2.62nm

10,000ft=24sec=4.26 statued miles= 3.7nm

20,000ft=35sec=6.2 statued miles = 5.4 nautical miles

I edit my radar for 3 miles,,  6 miles,,  10 miles,, 20 miles ect ect ,, I try to get aiming point half way down the scope,, alt and speed are critical,,, or you can fly level and blind to the target box and release to target info box reads the statue miles that I have set up in tables

• Like 1

Here's something for you to wrap your head around when you get bored of dive bombing

http://combatace.com...-radar-bombing/

Here is your free fall tables for. 555knts and mach 0.84   nautical miles are modeled in to the radar of your plane statued miles are displayed in your target information box ,and the higher you go the thinner the air so your air speed indicater will not show true speed, you confused yet..

1000ft =8sec=1.42 statued miles = 1.23nm

5000ft=17sec=3.02 statued miles = 2.62nm

10,000ft=24sec=4.26 statued miles= 3.7nm

20,000ft=35sec=6.2 statued miles = 5.4 nautical miles

I edit my radar for 3 miles,,  6 miles,,  10 miles,, 20 miles ect ect ,, I try to get aiming point half way down the scope,, alt and speed are critical,,, or you can fly level and blind to the target box and release to target info box reads the statue miles that I have set up in tables

great stuff, once i start hitting my targets in the 1st or 2nd pass dive bombing i'll give it a go. Should be fun to try out in the B-52 or B-2