Ok, I've been trying to tweak my AIRCRAFTAIDATA file to get a good challenge.  But my wingies keep plowing into the ground!  I've changed: MaxPitchForAltitude, MinPitchForAltitude, PitchForAltitude, and a few others to keep them from becoming a smoking hole.  I've raised the SafeAltitude line a bit.  I've double-checked to make sure there aren't any settings overriding the file in the planes' individual DATA file.

Could someone who's happy with their AI post what they've got?

For reference, I'm flying mainly modern stuff:  F-16, F-18E, F-35, F-22, etc.

I can replicate the behavior by choosing a close formation, then asking my Wingman to cover me.  He rolls right really hard till almost inverted then pulls into the ground.

Kinda funny to watch...almost as if he did it on purpose.

Whatever the default is for the mission.   I've tested a Guns-only mission, too, and it still happens.  I've seen them crash both with and without their External Tanks.  

For instance, I created a mission of 4 Super Hornets vs 4 Flankers.  If I set the altitude for both flights at 1000 ft, a good 50% end up crashing into the ground....this was with both flights set for no ordinance.  This is also over the "Open Sea" map.

You said you fly modern aircraft,,, does the stock planes have the same problem ????

I'll do some testing and see.  I've fiddled around enough that I've eliminated the ground-crash issue (for the most part)...but the AI isn't as challenging.  Gotta compromise I guess.  I basically had to go back to stock AI settings with a few changes regarding gunnery ranges.

Raise the Safealtitudes statement in the AircraftAIdata.ini for the novice,green and regular pilots 

Or ensure that the Minimum AI quality is Ace or Veteran in each aircraft.

This will give you hell!