Sign in to follow this  
Czech6

John Glenn passed away today

He flew combat missions in the F4U in WWII, and F9F and F-86 in Korea (3 MiG kills).  120+ combat missions.  With NASA he flew the Mercury spacecraft (making the first American orbit of the earth), the Gemini spacecraft (making the first space rendezvous with another spacecraft), the Apollo spacecraft (making the first orbit of the moon), and rode the Space Shuttle into space at the age of 77.  Plus he served 24 years as an American senator in Congress.

Glenn's wartime F-86F-30 rendered in DCS F-86F

Image2.jpg

and the real thing:

800px-F-86_%27MiG_Mad_Marine%27.jpg

• Like 3

RIP. He was part of aviation history

Old "Magnet Ass" has finally survived Yuri Gagarin for nearly 50 years. An impressive life, indeed. Now rest in a deserved peace...

A great man in the history of flight.R.I.P. :salute:

I forgot to mention that John Glenn also set a transcontinental speed record, California to New York, in an F-8 photo bird in 1957.  Frank Borman was the CEO of Eastern.  Also, I apologize on my facts. Frank Borman was in on the Gemini rendezvous and first Apollo circuit of the moon, and not John Glenn, who retired from NASA in 1964.

OK. Thanks Czech6. If there is a such thing as being excessively successful, John Glenn was it

CL