baffmeister

Battle of the Bulge Terrain [maybe]

I mentioned in a different thread that I was trying to make a Battle of the Bulge terrain using the TW GermanyCE terrain but was having problems getting the tiles and tods to show in the target area editor. Turns out I just had to add dedicated TFD and HFD files to get Starys' Hard Winter jpeg tiles to show up. Here's my first attempt at making a small town using some WingWhiner building objects. Some of the buildings are a bit modern but most will probably fit the WW2 era quite well. The buildings were arranged using the Target Area editing feature. There are about 70 buildings showing but I plan on doubling that number and rearranging the layout.

post-6894-0-47651400-1481679126_thumb.jpg

I plan on keeping this project simple. It's meant for the single engine fighter bomber types so will just have small airfields. Some new forward airfields will have to be leveled for the allied forces. The Luftwaffe can use existing airfields on the east side of the Rhine but some ini editing will make them non-targets. Target areas will be limited to allied airfields and areas in and around the Ardennes region with no targets east of the Rhine and no targets in the larger cities.

• Like 12

Hello Baffmeister,

Do you remember where you got the church building from, in your screenshot ?

I would like to add some churches in my SF2 europe terain. 

As far as I remember, the TFDtool don´t read files as UNICODE. Go to TERRAINS files and reset the INIs as ANSI. Hope it fix...

Hello Baffmeister,

Do you remember where you got the church building from, in your screenshot ?

I would like to add some churches in my SF2 europe terain. 

The small church I got from the WW2 Palestine terrain. The church was made by Stephen1918, I think.

Hello Baffmeister,

Great project! I like it!!! :good:

Moreover we have very good WW2 fighter bomber mods at CA: Tempests, Spitfires, Mustangs, Bf 109s, Me 262, etc...

The only mod to improve (or re-create) is the old (SF2 updated by Kevin) Fw 190 with a beautiful cockpit... :grandpa:

Best regards,

Coupi.

Edited by Coupi
  • Like 1

Making some progress. I have seven allied airfields leveled and a map exported using Gerwins TFD tool. The airfields were called Advanced Landing Grounds but most of the ones I've installed were large Dutch-Belgian-Luftwaffe airfields that required major repairs prior to use. I think only the two with the Y prefix were built from scratch. To get your bearings, the four large cities nearest the wall are, from top to bottom, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Brussels, and Charleroi. [i think] The Luftwaffe airfield showing on the map is Bitburg but it's just temporary. During the Battle of the Bulge time frame the Luftwaffe had moved all their aircraft east of the Rhine.

post-6894-0-70237600-1481997687_thumb.jpg

I don't plan on doing any re-tiling so have to fit the new airfields around the existing Stary tods. I'm using the stock small airfield 3 and Gepards single runway, which is a bit long at 7000ft. With Gepards runway I plan on adding some hardstands and a few roads/taxiways. From photos, the large airfields did have hangars etc. that appear undamaged so will add some of those.

post-6894-0-89444300-1481998143_thumb.jpg

The next step is to get some of the well known Battle of the Bulge towns installed. At this point, only Bastogne has been positioned. For both the airfields and small towns, positioning will be very approximate based on the relative position of existing TW cities.

Edited by baffmeister
  • Like 3

don't forget that "dirt airfield" lod that montycz made, and I used on the WW2 Formosa map.

looking REAL good there Baff!!!

don't forget that "dirt airfield" lod that montycz made, and I used on the WW2 Formosa map.

looking REAL good there Baff!!!

Will check out the airfield and thanks!

Thanks ShrikeHawk! I rather like the idea of WW2 in small chunks. There are some other possibilities as well that might be worth starting a new thread for but will do a bit more research first.

Wow Wrench! Your WW2 Formosa terrain has some great looking target areas! After seeing it I went on a shopping trip and got Monty CZs' awesome railway station from the SF1 downloads. Bastonge had a small railway station but the terrain is a bit lumpy were I placed it and the object count is getting a bit high already at 170 and increasing so decided to bomb the spot were the train station was with some permanent bomb craters and destroyed buildings.

It seems the allies got some of the French rail network functioning and had a rail head in Liege so will look for a flat spot there to put Montys' rail station. From a map on the subject it looked like Arlon, to the south, had a rail head so may put a station there as well.

Montys' dirt airfield looks good and I may try to re-texture it for winter use. Re-textured, it would make a great grass airfield as well.

Here's a screen of the current Bastonge, with the bombed out "railway station" in the lower left corner.

post-6894-0-71064200-1482369522_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

thanks.
I used period (1940-45) maps of Formosa to assist in target placements. They're as realistic as the game engine and the objects at hand, allows

retexturing that strip is pretty easy -- just a simple bmp (or is it a tga? -- can't rememer!!)

Bastgone looks pretty good!

Tiger maintenance. Getting some great looking Geezer trucks and buildings installed.

post-6894-0-57880600-1487044022_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The German town of Prum under construction. The buildings are mostly Geezer and Wingwhiner objects with a few others in the mix. Some of the larger towns will get strategic targets like warehouses, small factories and command/communication buildings but most targets will be more of a tactical nature like supply dumps, fuel caches, command/communication vehicles, tanker trucks, ammo trucks, ammo bunkers, high value tanks and whatever else I can think of.

post-6894-0-55992400-1487268005_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Quite a few new Geezer objects getting deployed.

German troops entering Dasburg.

post-6894-0-10951800-1488161073_thumb.jpg

and, US troops entering Monschau.

post-6894-0-49460100-1488161176_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm cooperating with Baffmeister on WW2 objects because there is a lot of overlap between what he is doing with his Bulge mod, and stuff I want to make for 1938/Africa in FE2.  First shot below shows commonality between early-war short barreled Pz4s and late-war long barrel Pz4.  Subsequent shots show progress on other ground objects.

post-39531-0-02469300-1488196517_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-60725000-1488196523_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-97850900-1488196530_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Say good-bye to the "GDE CommBuilding" for this project. Instead, you will get to blow up some "GDGL CommTrucks!"  [Gosh Darn Good Looking]

Took awhile to get all the new building objects sorted out but now the town construction is picking up speed.

The twin town of Krinkelt-Rocherath with the American strong point of Elsenborn Ridge on the horizon to the west. The small church in between marks the location for the town of Wirtzfeld.

post-6894-0-21554700-1488513411_thumb.jpg

Edited by baffmeister
  • Like 4

Geezers new US command/communications truck installed in Monschau.

post-6894-0-18860600-1488850528_thumb.jpg

And here's Monschau.

post-6894-0-52362400-1488850500_thumb.jpg

I check the internet for photos of the various towns to try and get a rough idea of size and shape but can't always find anything useful. The real Monschau appears to have a river running through it. [but don't mention rivers]

• Like 8

Shot of the nearly finished Bulge ground objects.  I'll be wrapping up the last couple of vehicles soon, and then get back to my SCW stuff.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 6