jeanba

Recon missions success ?

Hello

I just bought WOFF : UE and I am starting a campaign in a Caudron G4 (I was so much expecting this one !!!).

I just would like to know how to fullfill successfully a recon mission :

The briefings says that I must overfly the target for say 20-25 minutes.

At what altitude ?

What is teh acceptable distance ?

For the moment, I am regularily shot down by the flak

It always says that.  But you can go home if you want to and succeed in your mission.   I haven't flown the Caudron yet but will have a go. 

jeanba, I don't know the actual altitude requirements for a successful reconnaissance mission, but I used to fly allied recon aircraft in OFF/standard WOFF (alas my old PC could not keep up with the latest versions but I still lurk here) and managed to get 'successful' results once WOFF started recording them. I hope the following is not too out of date.

IIRC, keeping above 3000' kept you safe from machine gun/rifle fire whilst for actual anti-aircraft guns I used to regularly change altitude or make minor changes in direction. I believe this was an actual tactic of WW1. There was a discussion about whether this genuinely worked in WOFF (e.g. were the shell trajectories modelled or were hits determined statistically) but I felt it worked - i.e. it seemed to reduce the frequency with which I was hit!

I don't think I went over 10000' often, keeping at more like 5000' to 8000'.  Of course it depended on what suspicious aircraft were around, and how well the AA seemed to be doing at a particular altitude. As I say this seemed to get me successful results as long as I didn't go too far from target location for the mission.

Of course there may be differences now, with UE.

Thank you

I am now using Bletchey's mode, and it is a little clearer.

Anyway, the G4 is a lot of fun

Yes. I liked to use Bletchley's missions. I hadn't mentioned them because I wasn't sure if he had mods for UE.

Yes. I liked to use Bletchley's missions. I hadn't mentioned them because I wasn't sure if he had mods for UE.

It seems to work well for me

I always thought just getting home alive constituted success in a recon mission.

I always thought just getting home alive constituted success in a recon mission.

For recon missions, bringing back good pictures was very important during wwI.

Lot of airmen lost their life because they wanted to take pictures in good conditions, or identify the target : this meant loitering at predictive trajectory : ie being a sitting duck.

The same can be said about artillery spotting.

Actually, all the high command knew about aircraft at this time were the pictures they got every morning, and if they did not have it, the squadron leader was invited at the HQ, and the purpose was not to drink Champagne !

In WoFF, I try to take a nice screenshot of my "target" before leaving, and it is quite immersive (if possible in bomber view)

Edited by jeanba