Sign in to follow this  
Gunnyhighway

Flight "sim" with SH2-Seasprite in ASW mission

I am looking for a helo ASW mission in "sim" other than "Dangerous Water" and with a Kaman SH-2 Seasprite.

"Microsoft flight sim X" has a SH-2 Seasprite  payware add-on from Vistavia, yet the senso station in not usable and there is no sub target in that "sim".

The Sh2- Seasprite served in the USN from 61 to 91 in a ASW role.

Does anyone has an idea?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Gunnyhighway

Helo ASW sims are very hard to come by!

The closest I can get to your request is "Dangerous Waters", which has crewable ASW aircraft, including the SH-60R Seahawk.

http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/dangerous_waters/

The graphics aren't so great and you don't get this for the flight model. This sim was originally just 688i submarines, expanded to more subs, then in this final variant, covered surface and air as well.

The next closest game I can think of is the even more dated "Fleet Command" still available on steam. It is a "you are the admiral commanding the fleet" kind of game, but retains 3d graphics and direct control of individual aviation units. You most certainly can perform ASW missions with an SH-2 in that game, just not very high fidelity and no cockpit view.

I am partially in error. Out of the box, Fleet Command doesn't come with the older ships. You have to download and install the "NWP 19.2 mod". I can remember having NWP installed almost as long as having Fleet Command. It greatly expands the ships, aircraft and weapons of Fleet Command. But upon attempting to play with NWP installed, I am having stability issues. I did get a Knox class destroyer to launch an SH-2... then the game crashed to desktop.

Reverted to earlier version of 19.2 (pre-big fix release) and got a very stable setup. Here are some shots:

post-1150-0-19848300-1482809924_thumb.png

post-1150-0-36928100-1482809921_thumb.png

post-1150-0-02459300-1482809919_thumb.png

post-1150-0-88736800-1482809926_thumb.png

The "Fleet Command" idea is almost perfect.

However, "Fleet Command" does not allow to sit at any individual station to execute a task to standard. But I will investigate.

Thank you streakeagle, you just made my day. :biggrin:

Edited by Gunnyhighway

You have keep in mind that Fleet Command is very old.

This means the graphics are pretty ugly, even with the mods (the SH-2 has a mirror texture between left and right halves, so "NAVY" looks wrong on the other side).

It takes some magic to get it running well on Windows 7, and is even harder still to get going on Win 8 and Win 10.

The graphics are pretty ugly with only the following resolutions available: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1600x1200.

On a typical 1920x1080 monitor, you have to choose between 1024x768 and 1280x1024 and whether or not to stretch them to fit the screen.

The old NWP mod series provides an awesome array of old ships and planes, but is no longer being developed.

The current release version, NWP 19.2 bug fix, has problems... it didn't work at all for me.

Fortunately I had downloaded the previous NWP 19.2 without the bug fix some time ago, and that worked great.

The game is still very entertaining and challenging if you like Cold War naval combat, but it is still unstable and can crash... especially on bigger missions.

Edited by streakeagle

I know you are primarily interested in the SH-2, but the SH-60 simulation in Dangerous Waters lets you fly the same missions in very realistic detail, albeit with more modern hardware.

Skip through parts in this video introduction to glimpse everything the Dangerous Waters SH-60 has to offer, no other sim even comes close for an ASW helo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCp7Jdv-zE

I know DW. I played that game since its inception in 2005. I have an old laptop not linked to the WWW, on which I have Fleet command and I had the latest updates, so no SH-2, but SH-60 instead. I checked this morning.

What is the "NWP 19.2" you talked about? And where can I find it?

Thanks

http://janesscsfleetcommand.freeforums.org/nwp-download-archives-t180.html

The version that worked for me appears to be posted there as well as several other older versions.

NWP 19.2 Release TV22 is the one that worked.

Others also had problems with the later, but here is the final release version, NWP 19.2 Bug Fix release:

http://janesscsfleetcommand.freeforums.org/nwp-v19-2-bug-fix-release-download-t183.html

The bug fix was needed because there were some bugs :)

I got the bug fix version to work by first installing the bug fix version into an empty folder, then copying/pasting the files from the bug fix into the tv22 install.