Farman HF.20

The Farman HF.20 was developed in 1913 and was being used by most of the air forces in Europe by the time World War I began. It was designed for reconnaissance and had very stable flight characteristics, but it didn't have a very powerful engine and wasn't suitable for fighter or bomber missions, although some pilots made the attempt. The Farman F.20 was withdrawn from front line service as more nimble aircraft became available.

My plane includes skins for Belgian, French, and Russian versions. Decals and my skinning templates are included in the download.

Ojcar has created a fake machine gun for the pilot, which causes the AI plane to be more aggressive in pursuing enemy planes. I have installed that gun on this plane. Ojcar's "DummyMachineGun" data is included with this download, in case you don't already have it.

Some flyers wore simple crash helmets in WWI, especially in the early days. I am using a pilot with a helmet in this plane. The pilot and installation instructions are included in the download, in case you don't already have it.

The Farman HF.20 has a wider wingspan than First Eagles expects so you should install my "Airfields for Large Planes" available in the Combat Ace downloads area. Otherwise, when starting on the runway, your wings may be touching the wings of the planes next to you. This will cause an immediate collision and you or other planes in your flight may lose their wingtips as soon as the game starts.

Credits
Thanks to Ojcar for making the data file for the Farman HF.20 and for making the data for the dummy machine gun.

Thanks also to Crawford who provided resources for the Farman cockpits.

Installation Instructions
For FE1 - Unzip the file. Move the folder named "FarmanHF20" into your FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder.

For FE2 - Unzip the file. Move the folder named "FarmanHF20" into your FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. Then in the FirstEagles/Objects/Decals folder, create a new folder named "FarmanHF20". Move the folder named "D" from your Aircraft/FarmanHF20 folder into the Decals/FarmanHF20 folder you just made.

You may not need to install the dummy machine gun, it has been used on other planes and you may already have it. If you don't already have it, I have included the gun and instructions for installing in a separate folder included in this download.

You may not need to install the pilot with helmet, it has been available for download for some time and you may already have it. If you don't already have it, I have included the pilot and instructions for installing in a separate folder included in this download.

• Like 5

Thank you, Stephen1918!  Another drawing in an early book on aviation is now a flying model - great stuff!

• Like 3

Excellent work Stephen! Bravo!

• Like 1

Nice "galosh" :good: 

But it seems that the pilot must sit in the front rather than the back (this is indicated by the elevator control levers) :grin:

There were many variations of the Farman HF.20, especially after the war started and they were looking for ways to make the plane more suitable. Here are links from Wikipedia Commons for two Farmans with a gun in front.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Franz%C3%B6sisches_Flugzeug_-_CH-BAR_-_3238513.tif#/media/File:Franz%C3%B6sisches_Flugzeug_-_CH-BAR_-_3238513.tif

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bouy_les_militaires_Mailfert_Darbois.jpg#/media/File:Bouy_les_militaires_Mailfert_Darbois.jpg

Both of these have a short tie rod from the pilot position to the elevator controls. I left those off of my model because it was starting to slow down the game. Right now, there are 14 moving parts in the elevator animation. Adding 4 more moving parts created a noticeable lag between when I moved the stick and when the elevators stared moving. Leaving them off improves the lag-time, it is still there but not as bad.

So, I'm afraid that you just have to pretend...

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 5

There were many variations of the Farman HF.20, especially after the war started and they were looking for ways to make the plane more suitable. Here are links from Wikipedia Commons for two Farmans with a gun in front.

Both of these have a short tie rod from the pilot position to the elevator controls. I left those off of my model because it was starting to slow down the game. Right now, there are 14 moving parts in the elevator animation. Adding 4 more moving parts created a noticeable lag between when I moved the stick and when the elevators stared moving. Leaving them off improves the lag-time, it is still there but not as bad.

So, I'm afraid that you just have to pretend...

Well, I understand you. And I even agree with you.
Perhaps it would be necessary to make unarmed version of this aircraft? Or this one is just easy target?

836b2846d12d

farman1

• Like 1

I think you can use some ini remove tricks to take the gunner and gun off the plane and just insert another pilot.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, in FE this process cannot be realized :grin:

I think you can use some ini remove tricks to take the gunner and gun off the plane and just insert another pilot.

Oh sure. But the shape of the bow of the nacelle must be changed.

• Like 2

well that's all I can offer......

Thank you. If there is a will, there is a way. But it's something I can never do (3D models, I mean)... :cry:

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 1

Thank you. If there is a will, there is a way. But it's something I can never do (3D models, I mean)... :cry:

I'm in the same boat. I'm too lazy and stupid to learn so that's why I have so much admiration for the guys who are still bringing us new presents.

• Like 3

There were many variations of the Farman HF.20, especially after the war started and they were looking for ways to make the plane more suitable.

A small remark. During WWI in Russia was still a variety of different identification marks. Their location on the aircraft was not harmonized. There were standards however deviations from the standard in different batches as well as within one batch were significant. The Russian training planes often had neither numbers nor identification marks.

As you can see, on this Dux-built Farman-20 ("black 2") the Russian roundels were placed on the lower surface of the upper wing (Dux-style national insignia).

134834354 farman 20

Therefore, a more correct version of the Russian Linen Decals.ini should look like this:

[DefaultAnimationTime]

Animation01=0.5

Animation02=0.5

Animation03=0.5

Animation04=0.5

//----------------Wings----------------------------

[Decal001]

MeshName=RUpperWingTip

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

FilenameFormat=FarmanHF20/D/Dux

Position=5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal002]

MeshName=RUpperWingTip

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

Position=5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal003]

MeshName=LUpperWingTip

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

Position=-5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal004]

MeshName=LUpperWingTip

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

Position=-5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

//-------------Ailerons------------------

[Decal005]

MeshName=LAileron

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

Position=-5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal006]

MeshName=LAileron

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

Position=-5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal007]

MeshName=RAileron

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=TOP

Position=5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal008]

MeshName=RAileron

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

Position=5.55,-0.4

Scale=1.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

//-------------------Rudder----------------------

[Decal009]

MeshName=Rudder

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

Position=-5.52,-0.125

Scale=0.82

DecalMaxLOD=3

Reverse=TRUE

[Decal010]

MeshName=Rudder

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

Position=-5.52,-0.125

Scale=0.82

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal011]

MeshName=Rudder

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=FarmanHF20/D/BlackNum002

Position=-5.70,0.625

Scale=0.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal012]

MeshName=Rudder

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=FarmanHF20/D/BlackNum002

Position=-5.70,0.625

Scale=0.65

DecalMaxLOD=3

• Like 3

I've been thinking about this, it will be relatively easy to make an unarmed version of the Farman HF.20. I would have to make a new cockpit which would put the pilot in front. I cannot animate the observer, but I can make the bombs drop over the side of the cockpit (well, I can make the bombs appear next to the cockpit before they drop.)

I'll use the new decal arrangement on it, too. But, I have other projects I want to finish first...

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 3

Just tested it yestearday, it is a real pleasure !

• Like 1

A lovely model...currently tweaking the FM for it, and the other Farmans. One strange phenomenon that I have for the HF.20 is that it doesn't respond to the input to "return to base" (it ends up doing circles instead)... perhaps there is a simple solution in the data ini for this but I haven't come across it...the other Farmans don't display this oddity.

Happy flying (and thank you for the beautiful models Stephen),

Von S

Quick follow-up to my post above...noticed today that I didn't cycle through all 8 waypoints before "telling" the other Farmans to return to base - the circling was probably the result of a Farman flying above one of the earlier waypoints...retested today and the problem was no longer there.

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1