Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Greetings from a old member...

Greetings!

Haven't  been on here since '09.  Am flying FSX mostly.  I have DCS, but no clue how to use it.  Heck, just configuring my controls is confusing!!!   How's everyone!   Navy Chief....

Edited by navychief
  • Like 1

Hiya Brother, I'm just getting back into DCS mysself.  I recommend starting with flaming cliffs 3-as the simulation level is more "survey" and the MiiG-29 is the easist to learn in my honest opinion.  The campaigns will get you comfortable with NAV, weapons employment, tactics, and takeoff and landing.  I have A-10 and MiG-21 as well but havent scratched the surface of those 2.  The Nellis NTTR map is amazing!

Welcome back. There are many still flying SF2 as well as some still flying SFP1/WoX. I recently tried to get anyone I could to play SFP1/WoX online via Hyperlobby and/or Evolve, the current equivalent to the now defunct Hamachi virtual network. The problem I ran into is that most people have moved on to Windows 10, which apparently doesn't work well with SFP1/WoX. So I only got three other people to play and one of those was in Europe on a very different work/sleep schedule.

I have had FSX/Acceleration for a long time and had bought the Steam version when it came out for $5, but it took Simworks Studios F-4B Phantom to get me to fly it for any length of time. I also bought VRS TacPack and Super Hornet to enjoy the full combat capability possible with FSX and the new (technically still beta) F-4B. I looked at the Milviz F-4E and F-4S, but based on my experience with the F-4B and Super Hornet, I still don't have much use for FSX. If nothing better were available, I could live with this, but SF2 Vietnam is a far better combat experience even with the much less accurate/lower resolution terrain elevations.

DCS World is where I have been since the announcement of the original MiG-21bis fund raiser. With a few careful button mapping options, DCS doesn't have to be much harder than SFP1/SF2: flaps, air brakes, landing gear and maybe some weapons/gunsight options. The F-86 and F-5E are absolutely as easy to fly in DCS World as they are in SF2. The MiG-21bis represents the other end of the spectrum. The technology of the time makes for substantial complexity... multiple switches and buttons just to get the radar, gunsight, and guns lined up for dogfighting. But I absolutely love it. I just have to review my control mappings if I haven't flown it in a while. I would like to fly multiplayer, but I haven't found a server that I like and haven't bothered to create a multiplayer mission that would be fun to host.

As for configuring DCS controls, that has to be done for each aircraft type. The main thing is to get the analog axis controls where you want them and then map buttons as you need them (which can be done while flying).

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 1