Non-vertically squished Greece/Turkey map?

Mike.

LOL. Yeah, that was about as good of a projection I could get after multiple crops/resizes and still get the distances right. It's going to be a relatively modern terrain. 1974-present.

• Like 1

I like it, this one would be perfect for a direct confrontation between Greece and Turkey. Looking forward to it! Just be careful about the Wall, because you won't be able to targetize some areas at the edge of the terrain. 

So I guess I'm the only one who went here when he saw the map...? :)

• Like 1

I like it, this one would be perfect for a direct confrontation between Greece and Turkey. Looking forward to it! Just be careful about the Wall, because you won't be able to targetize some areas at the edge of the terrain. 

I'm glad you brought that up.  This is going to be something of an experiment.  We all know the AI can't handle the effectiveness of the awesome SF2 SAM Pack and AAA Pack, it's just too deadly in large numbers.  Strike packages would be blown out of the sky.  But, let's face it.  Some of our terrains overestimate the military inventory of some nations.  So, what I plan to do is use the more deadly AAA and SAM Pack weapons, just in somewhat smaller numbers.  A target area that had two or three SAM batteries and about a dozen AAA guns might now have only one SAM battery and maybe four or five AAA guns.  The weapons you'll be facing won't be as numerous, but they'll be more deadly.  I want to see what the AI can do with that.

Also, I won't be creating EVERY airbase and target area in either nation.  In the case of Turkey, I can't.  Half the country isn't even there, and that half has about five airbases.  Both the air forces of Greece and Turkey have no real strategic assets (heavy bombers), so there's little reason to create off-map bases.  That means both militaries will be at or near parity in numbers.  It'll be up to the player to determine how challenging they want to make the in-the-air experience.

I'm looking at making:

• ~ 8-10 airbases for each nation
  • ~ 3-4 military/industrial complexes
  • ~ 3-4 army bases
  • ~ 10-12 strategic nodes for campaign play (a military conflict between these two might not take that long)

If this isn't interesting to people that's fine.  I don't even plan on using a custom tileset.  If someone else wants to, that's great, but I'll be using stock GermanyCE tiles.  Greece and Turkey are a lot greener than people think.

What I'm curious about is the FRIENDLY/ENEMY dynamic of the game.  Can a terrain change the status of a nation's allegiance to the player (just for that one terrain), or, must you edit the NATIONS.INI file to reflect what the terrain says, otherwise, it doesn't show up in game?

What I'm curious about is the FRIENDLY/ENEMY dynamic of the game.  Can a terrain change the status of a nation's allegiance to the player (just for that one terrain), or, must you edit the NATIONS.INI file to reflect what the terrain says, otherwise, it doesn't show up in game?

Yes, PFunk, you can. A terrain nations.ini can override the main nations.ini of the game in the flight folder.  For a specific terrain, you can set nations allegiance however you like, for instance you can set USAF as enemy and USN as friendly, even Soviet and USMC together as friendly and so on.

Edited by Menrva

Yes, PFunk, you can. A terrain nations.ini can override the main nations.ini of the game in the flight folder.  For a specific terrain, you can set nations allegiance however you like, for instance you can set USAF as enemy and USN as friendly, even Soviet and USMC together as friendly and so on.

You are very kind.  Thank you for your help.

I'm glad you brought that up.  This is going to be something of an experiment.  We all know the AI can't handle the effectiveness of the awesome SF2 SAM Pack and AAA Pack, it's just too deadly in large numbers.  Strike packages would be blown out of the sky.  But, let's face it.  Some of our terrains overestimate the military inventory of some nations.  So, what I plan to do is use the more deadly AAA and SAM Pack weapons, just in somewhat smaller numbers.  A target area that had two or three SAM batteries and about a dozen AAA guns might now have only one SAM battery and maybe four or five AAA guns.  The weapons you'll be facing won't be as numerous, but they'll be more deadly.  I want to see what the AI can do with that.

Also, I won't be creating EVERY airbase and target area in either nation.  In the case of Turkey, I can't.  Half the country isn't even there, and that half has about five airbases.  Both the air forces of Greece and Turkey have no real strategic assets (heavy bombers), so there's little reason to create off-map bases.  That means both militaries will be at or near parity in numbers.  It'll be up to the player to determine how challenging they want to make the in-the-air experience.

I'm looking at making:

• ~ 8-10 airbases for each nation
  • ~ 3-4 military/industrial complexes
  • ~ 3-4 army bases
  • ~ 10-12 strategic nodes for campaign play (a military conflict between these two might not take that long)

If this isn't interesting to people that's fine.  I don't even plan on using a custom tileset.  If someone else wants to, that's great, but I'll be using stock GermanyCE tiles.  Greece and Turkey are a lot greener than people think.

Both countries operate/operated the same types of military equipment since early cold war. This limits significantly the number of objects which will be used (same aircrafts, radars, missiles etc).

As for the number of SAMs, I think you should place a considerable amount of sites since all of the existing SF2 SAMs can engage only a single target each time. An attacking formation of 4 aircrafts may suffer 50% losses against a SAM site but they can easily put out of action the fire control radar. Also the number of target areas must be in a considerable level since campaigns offer multiple attacking formations during a single mission and thus many target areas can be under attack at the same time. 

Finally, Greece is indeed quite green but also very mountainous!

I'd figured after all was said and done, I'd probably wind up with about 80 TargetAreas total.  If every one of them has their own SAM battery, that's pretty much every last SAM battery in Greece getting its own place to call home.  Turkey has many more SAM batteries than Greece does, so that's going to have to be planned for accordingly.  However, if you figure that at least half are going to be pointing at Syria, well, it's still going to be a nightmare for strike planning.

I've got to figure out a way to accommodate the AI and still make it very challenging without resorting to sheer numbers.  I know the modded SAM and AAA packs are far more...aggressive...than the stock ones, so the experiment is to see if that makes up the difference or not.