Sign in to follow this  
baffmeister

Problem with new SFP1-3.2 Patch

Greetings,

I just installed the new SFP1-3.2 patch on an up to date and quite clean installation and I got a crash to desk top. I keep 2 separate installations of Strike Fighters and usually try official updates on the clean one. Anyway, the CTD happens after selecting a single mission and hitting the fly button. I get no loading screen and it goes straight to desk top. Futher investigation revealed my graphics card was not being recognized in the Graphics Options, the Display Device box was blank and so was the Resolution Box.

I also noticed in the Options.ini file that the DisplayWidth, DisplayHeight, and Display Depth were corrupted. Tried a reinstall on the patch and checked the Options.ini file again and it looked OK. Ran the game again and got the same CTD as before. Checked the Options.ini file again and now it was corrupted again. I compared the system files between the two different installs and noticed lots of changes in the file sizes after the 3.2 patch , so a lot of work has been done on this upgrade. In order to get the game up and running I copied the old system folder into the newly patched game and was somewhat surprised when it worked. [This game is quite forgiving in a lot of respects!] So now I have a game patched to about 3.15.

I am wondering if anyone else is having problems with the patch. My system is an Intel 2.4GHZ with an ATI 9600SE. Also, I downloaded the patch twice, once from here and once from Third Wire, and had the same problem with both. Looking forward to some assistence for this issue. Regards, Baffmeister.

Futher investigation revealed my graphics card was not being recognized in the Graphics Options, the Display Device box was blank and so was the Resolution Box.

To quote TK:

"This means the game did not detect DX9 driver. Try reinstalling the latest version of DirectX (9.0c), also try reinstalling your graphics driver."

Perhaps try posting in Third Wire's forum for the other issues - afaik you are the only user to report this.

Thanks guys, I will try the direct X 9.0c first. [3 hour download on my 26.4kbs dial up!] I currently have early direct X9 drivers installed.Graphics card drivers are quite new but might try the old ones if I can figure out how. Probably should have mentioned I'm using Windows 98SE, which hasn't been a problem yet but may be someday. The 3.1 patch installed fine so I'm a little surprised I'm having a problem with this one. All for now, Baffmeister.

UPDATED OK! :biggrin:

The Direct X 9.0c download did the trick. Thanks again.

Regards, Baffmeister.

Greetings,

I just installed the new SFP1-3.2 patch on an up to date and quite clean installation and I got a crash to desk top. -  I am wondering if anyone else is having problems with the patch. My system is an Intel 2.4GHZ with  an ATI 9600SE. Also, I downloaded the patch twice, once from here and once from Third Wire, and had the same problem with both. Looking forward to some assistence for this issue. Regards, Baffmeister.

Buff responded "Perhaps try posting in Third Wire's forum for the other issues - afaik you are the only user to report this."

------

He's not the only one, I too have the same problem. I downloaded and installed Service Pack 3, Update 3.1, and 3.2 in order. However when I hit the fly button in instant mission mode it crashes to the desktop. I didn't seem to have this problem after installing version 3.1, just 3.2. I'll try reinstalling it again, this time by also reinstalling the Direct X 9 as well.

In case you're wondering I'm running XP with an Intel graphics.

Greetings,

I just installed the new SFP1-3.2 patch on an up to date and quite clean installation and I got a crash to desk top. I keep 2 separate installations of Strike Fighters and usually try official updates on the clean one. Anyway, the CTD happens after selecting a single mission and hitting the fly button. I get no loading screen and it goes straight to desk top. Futher investigation revealed my graphics card was not being recognized in the Graphics Options, the Display Device box was blank and so was the Resolution Box.

I also noticed in the Options.ini file that the DisplayWidth, DisplayHeight, and Display Depth were corrupted. Tried a reinstall on the patch and checked the Options.ini file again and it looked OK. Ran the game again and got the same CTD as before. Checked the Options.ini file again and now it was corrupted again. I compared the system files between the two different installs and noticed lots of changes in the file sizes after the 3.2 patch , so a lot of work has been done on this upgrade. In order to get the game up and running I copied the old system folder into the newly patched game and was somewhat surprised when it worked. [This game is quite forgiving in a lot of respects!] So now I have a game patched to about 3.15.

I am wondering if anyone else is having problems with the patch. My system is an Intel 2.4GHZ with an ATI 9600SE. Also, I downloaded the patch twice, once from here and once from Third Wire, and had the same problem with both. Looking forward to some assistence for this issue. Regards, Baffmeister.

To fix a crash to desktop (CTD) when you press the escape key or the ALT-Q key, disable the shaders effects of the water and terrain in the terrain data file. Its probably a problem with Vista, as usual.

Instructions

1) Decompress the terrain file with the.SFP1 cat extractor decompress utility. The terrain file will be called VietnamSEA or equivalent in the terrain folder and will be called a security file.

http://combatace.com...ds&showfile=343

2) Find the terrain xxx.data file. such as GermanyCE.data file in the terrain folder with the decompressed terrain contents you just decompressed.

Replace the following in the data file :

[NormalTextureMaterial]

///// rem causes the CTD UseEffectShader=TRUE

UseEffectShader=False

///// rem EffectShaderName=TerrainEffect.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=TRUE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE

AlphaTestEnabled=FALSE

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.0000000

ZBufferOffset=0.000000

BlendOp=ONE

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=NO_OP

[WaterTextureMaterial]

///////// rem crashes and causes the CTD UseEffectShader=TRUE

UseEffectShader=FALSE

////////// rem EffectShaderName=WaterEffect.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=TRUE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

SpecularColor=0.500000,0.500000,0.500000,1.000000

SpecularPower=5.000000

Reflectivity=1.00000

ZBufferOffset=4.000000

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=2

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE

TextureStage[02].TextureName=

TextureStage[02].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[02].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[02].ReflectionMapping=TRUE

TextureStage[02].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_BLEND_TEXTURE_ALPHA

TextureStage[02].StageAlphaOp=DIFFUSE

Edited by ordway

Thread from the dead...the last post (except for today) was 5 years ago...

FC