Sign in to follow this  
yubba

FM numbers 4 FE's Nieuport 28

I did alittle tweaking in the Data file,, it responds in the turns alot better than it did,, not Camel good but better

[FlightControl]
StallSpeed=20.34
CruiseSpeed=48.1
ClimbSpeed=37.52
CornerSpeed=46.0
MaxG=5.20
MaxSpeedSL=55.5
MachLimit=0.200
PitchDamper=0.2
RollDamper=0.0
YawDamper=0.0

don't forget to do both

ControlRate=5.0
MaxControlSpeed=48.60
ModelNodeName=Aileron L
AnimationID=1

I used the camel snipe engine to guess ta mate a  rate of hp it seems to perform alot better than it did

[Engine]
SystemType=PROP_ENGINE
InputName=THROTTLE_CONTROL
EngineID=1
SLPowerDry=149311.979  <------ up or down to your liking I'm happy here

Only saw this now...the Nieu. 28 is definitely a type that was/is hard to tame and get to historical levels in FE2. My response is over here:

http://combatace.com/topic/87403-tweaked-flight-models-and-realism-pack-for-fe2/?p=731406

Happy flying,

Von S  :flyer:

was I close ???? it's still sluggish coming out of a left bank ,, I took it up in a quick mission with 4 wingmen got 3 albatros 

Your values are close to mine, my overall engine output being a bit lower but I compensated with higher rpms, and my maxcontrolspeed values are lower by about 5 meters/sec. And I agree - I still find the type somewhat sloppy in turns. Personally I don't like flying it - I prefer the Nieu. 23/24 types (the best of the Nieu. types, probably historically too, if you're gentle in them when getting out of a steep dive and appreciate their great climbing ability). I might come back to the Nieu. 28 type in a future update, but I want first to get to some models here on Combat Ace that I haven't touched before.

Happy flying,

Von S

Your values are close to mine, my overall engine output being a bit lower but I compensated with higher rpms, and my maxcontrolspeed values are lower by about 5 meters/sec. And I agree - I still find the type somewhat sloppy in turns. Personally I don't like flying it - I prefer the Nieu. 23/24 types (the best of the Nieu. types, probably historically too, if you're gentle in them when getting out of a steep dive and appreciate their great climbing ability). I might come back to the Nieu. 28 type in a future update, but I want first to get to some models here on Combat Ace that I haven't touched before.

Happy flying,

Von S

I have a ball with the 10,, I don't know why I am so Intrigued with the 28 ,, I did have it in the American campaign be before this set up 

Historically the 28 wasn't that good compared to the 10 , I guess that is why the French sent them all to the USAS, as it wasn't that popular with the French pilots, it did the job though, the Americans had a lot of aces on type, but compared to the Spad, or the N 10 , or Camel/snipe or SE 5 it wasn't that great an aircraft, one of my personal favourites is the little Hanriot, a little slow but it handles nicely.

• Like 2

I havent fired up my ROF for ages, I must have a flight or 3 at some point.

• Like 1

Hello FE2 flyers,

Have modified my N28 data ini file some more (previously updated for the ver. 8.6 FM update pack) - to reflect structural failures sometimes seen historically on the top wing of the type. Lowered the MaxG values a bit for the top wing, and also put in the Ansaldo pilot and changed his seating coordinates - I think he works well in the N28 (don't forget to download the Ansaldo from the downloads section for FE2 if you are missing that pilot in your Pilots folder). Will include these tweaks with a ver. 8.9 update pack - but in the meantime here it is, and some more observations on the N28 (as per my tweaks).

1. use lots of rudder to execute tight turns (relying on ailerons only usually leads to sloppy turns and stalls) - if you are dropping below about 85kph in a turn, drop the nose down and don't touch the ailerons, to get out of an impending stall - best turns use rudder liberally and slight opposite aileron to avoid sloppiness - this will give you nice, tight turns that usually don't drop below about 100 or 90 kph

2. the type takes off best around 100 kph

3. it's climb envelope is fairly good - it seems to want "naturally" to climb around 120 kph (climbing in the 120s or 130s kph will give you its best climb rate of about 3.5 to 4 m/s) - climbing from about 100 to 120 kph is good too, and gives about 3 m/s - the type can be climbed as low as the 60s kph, before stalling, but anything below about 80kph in a climb is useless (giving about 1.5 m/s)

4. the type is tough in a dive to about 280 kph - trying to pull out of dives exceeding about 300 kph is nearly impossible in the type (the elevator becomes unresponsive to input at those speeds...at slow speeds the elevator is very sensitive, as is the rudder)...you will hear some creaking when exiting dives at speeds exceeding about 220 kph, but it's a fairly tough bird

5. the easiest way to take out the type is by getting rid of one of the ailerons (this will cause the AI usually to go into a stall, and crash)

6. the type is also good for ground strafing since the nose can be brought up quickly, at speeds below about 200 kph

7. don't be rough when exiting power dives that exceed about 220-230 kph , since the top wing has now been made slightly more fragile than the bottom one

Happy flying,
Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 2

Hello FE2 flyers,

Have modified my N28 data ini file some more (previously updated for the ver. 8.6 FM update pack) - to reflect structural failures sometimes seen historically on the top wing of the type. Lowered the MaxG values a bit for the top wing, and also put in the Ansaldo pilot and changed his seating coordinates - I think he works well in the N28 (don't forget to download the Ansaldo from the downloads section for FE2 if you are missing that pilot in your Pilots folder). Will include these tweaks with a ver. 8.9 update pack - but in the meantime here it is, and some more observations on the N28 (as per my tweaks).

1. use lots of rudder to execute tight turns (relying on ailerons only usually leads to sloppy turns and stalls) - if you are dropping below about 85kph in a turn, drop the nose down and don't touch the ailerons, to get out of an impending stall - best turns use rudder liberally and slight opposite aileron to avoid sloppiness - this will give you nice, tight turns that usually don't drop below about 100 or 90 kph

2. the type takes off best around 100 kph

3. it's climb envelope is fairly good - it seems to want "naturally" to climb around 120 kph (climbing in the 120s or 130s kph will give you its best climb rate of about 3.5 to 4 m/s) - climbing from about 100 to 120 kph is good too, and gives about 3 m/s - the type can be climbed as low as the 60s kph, before stalling, but anything below about 80kph in a climb is useless (giving about 1.5 m/s)

4. the type is tough in a dive to about 280 kph - trying to pull out of dives exceeding about 300 kph is nearly impossible in the type (the elevator becomes unresponsive to input at those speeds...at slow speeds the elevator is very sensitive, as is the rudder)...you will hear some creaking when exiting dives at speeds exceeding about 220 kph, but it's a fairly tough bird

5. the easiest way to take out the type is by getting rid of one of the ailerons (this will cause the AI usually to go into a stall, and crash)

6. the type is also good for ground strafing since the nose can be brought up quickly, at speeds below about 200 kph

7. don't be rough when exiting power dives that exceed about 220-230 kph , since the top wing has now been made slightly more fragile than the bottom one

Happy flying,
Von S

Nice Job, Von,, with the guns offset to the left it snap rolls left nicely ,,, don't get into a left turning fight you'll be hard press to right yourself if the foe changes to a right bank,, you can bank right,, turn and recover nicely and follow over left ,,, you better have him killed by then

• Like 1