Sign in to follow this  
yubba

First Eagles If You Really Need A Gunsight

If we could get this in black it might be more pallitable but it's a start,, nice this series inter mixes with others.. So you have to and grab the sight tga file out of a  A-7E pit and put it in the pit of your WW1 ride that's hard to land bullets on target ,, you can also put this in a 2 seat bomber ,,, and have a not to accurate bomb sight in no cockpit view at around a 1000 meters. now this set up is for the Neiuport N28 and will work in the liberty 2 seaters that is far as I got the Snipe is a different story.

Edits to your cockpit config file

HasGunsight=TRUE                     <---------------- add all of this
GunsightMilSize=50
GunsightName=A-7E_sight.tga
AGGunsightName=A-7E_SightAG.tga

LeadComputing=False
MaxDepression=450
DefaultDepression=950       <------------------------

[CockpitSeat001]
ModelName=N28_cpit.LOD
HideExternalNodeName=cockpit
OpenCockpit=TRUE
ExternalClipDistMin=0.04
Position=0.0,-1.03,0.57
Offset=  0.0,-1.18,0.57
ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0
MaxYaw=170
MinYaw=-170
MaxPitch=90
MinPitchFront=-70
MinPitchRear=-60
MinMovementX=-0.1
MaxMovementX=0.1
MinMovementZ=-0.1
MaxMovementZ=0.1
LightRange=1.5
LightInnerConeAngle=43
LightOuterConeAngle=60
LightAngles=0.0,-35.0,0.0
DiffuseLightFactor=0.5
NightLightOn=0.25
NightLightColor=0.5,0.2,0.3
Gunsight=GunsightFront   <----------- make sure that's there

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect
Edited by yubba
  • Like 1

Nice find. I don't mind it it's in green. if you really want a black one, there's always the following ini tweak:

http://combatace.com/topic/16272-ini-tweaks-and-changes/?p=723242

Although, that one only gives you a black outline for your target circle - no dot in the middle. I use it on the Fokk. D.II an D.III types since it helps with aiming. For the rifle-armed, one-seater Parasol L posted in the armed observers thread, the bullets leave the plane about two centimeters above the center of the engine cowling...best way to test the aim on that one is to do a bit of ground strafing (haven't tested with a gun sight on that one since it ruins the "historical" inaccuracy of rifle pot shots coming from aircraft). Isn't the modability of FE2 great? That's what I like about this sim, and a lot of other things too.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS

Nice find. I don't mind it it's in green. if you really want a black one, there always the following ini tweak:

http://combatace.com/topic/16272-ini-tweaks-and-changes/?p=723242

Although, that one only gives you a black outline for your target circle - no dot in the middle. I use it on the Fokk. D.II an D.III types since it helps with aiming. For the rifle-armed, one-seater Parasol L posted in the armed observers thread, the bullets leave the plane about two centimeters above the center of the engine cowling...best way to test the aim on that one is to do a bit of ground strafing (haven't tested with a gun sight on that one since it ruins the "historical" inaccuracy of rifle pot shots coming from aircraft). Isn't the modability of FE2 great? That's what I like about this sim, and a lot of other things too.

Happy flying,

Von S

So far this is right on the money on the n28 I just put it in and it worked ,, I don't want to say if the liberties are dead on I haven't tested them enough to say I'm messing around trying to get some kinda feisable bomb sight,,I drop from what I thought was a 1000 meters came up short,, so I have to be lower I can't seem to squeak anymore adjustment out of it,, you all are welcome to try I'd be interested in any feed back

Edited by yubba

Really interesting stuff.  Can I contact you when my SM79 is releasable?  It will need some bomb-aiming file work.

post-39531-0-80264300-1491093834_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks.  I have a lot of other projects to finish before I can wrap up the SM79, so it probably won't be until autumn that I ask for assistance.  The Jozza bomb sight, mounted in the front of the ventral gondola, looked like shot below.

post-39531-0-61681800-1491102381_thumb.jpg

Thanks.  I have a lot of other projects to finish before I can wrap up the SM79, so it probably won't be until autumn that I ask for assistance.  The Jozza bomb sight, mounted in the front of the ventral gondola, looked like shot below.

this game engine doesn't give us alot to work with as for bombing, I'm intrigued by the bomb sight station that you have I wouldn't want to gunk it up with something that didn't look right ,I've work out a few ways to land iron  and be successful ,, one of my b-52s has a nice set up with a ,, ccip with the hud but no fall line works very well but you have to have a reference point in the pit to line up on the waypoint marker to come in on the target ,,

Well, no hurry but maybe we can work out something that uses the game code combined with a 3D model?  Atmosphere shots of the gondola below.

post-39531-0-17662800-1491104277.jpg

post-39531-0-95358500-1491104288.jpg

post-39531-0-79627000-1491104335_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Some what before     Camel Snipe

finished product

the numbers for the sight and pit relocation 

HasGunsight=TRUE
GunsightMilSize=50
GunsightName=A-7E_sight.tga
AGGunsightName=A-7E_SightAG.tga

LeadComputing=False
MaxDepression=100
DefaultDepression=950

[CockpitSeat001]
ModelName=Camel_Pit-R2.LOD
HideExternalNodeName=cockpit
OpenCockpit=TRUE
ExternalClipDistMin=0.04
Position=0.00,0.02222,0.85555
Offset=0.0,-0.5,0.7
ViewAngles=0.0,-3.0, 0.000
MaxYaw=148
MinYaw=-148

could some please tell me how to get rid of that tube sight,, I can't go any farther on masking over the old static pit and make it work plus the compass is off 90 degrees
Edited by yubba
  • Like 1

Never had much luck with bombing anything in FE, with a modified gunsight or not!

BUT, going back to trying to dispose of an aerial adversary with your fixed Vickers or Spandau, someone awhile back reported in a thread that if you make your GunsightMilSize=4 (or thereabouts), it will be sufficiently small to not show in the FRONT_VIEW or WIDE_VIEW seating positions.  However, when you close in to do some serious re-arrangement to your enemy's collection of wood and fabric flying in close formation, there it will be in GUNSIGHT_VIEW helping you to hit your mark!    

• Like 2

Interesting stuff gents...I'd ideally like to remove the awful magnifying Aldis gunsight on the Se5a in FE2....historically I don't think the Aldis magnified anything...but really I'd like to remove the whole thing and just leave the iron sights in place...probably not possible if it's baked into the lod files for the Se5a.

Happy flying,

Von S

Interesting stuff gents...I'd ideally like to remove the awful magnifying Aldis gunsight on the Se5a in FE2....historically I don't think the Aldis magnified anything...but really I'd like to remove the whole thing and just leave the iron sights in place...probably not possible if it's baked into the lod files for the Se5a.

Happy flying,

Von S

I could really clean that Snipe pit up ,,, if we could get rid of that tube,, that is the best I can get it ,, it's dead on sight wise,, it has alittle more visibility through the roof,,it makes a good ground attack plane,,enjoy

• Like 1

....historically I don't think the Aldis magnified anything...

Correct - the stock game Aldis sight is wrong.  Woodman's Early Aircraft Armament gives a detailed description of the Aldis sight.  Early aircraft were plagued by vibration which made aiming with a telescopic sight harder than aiming with the Mark 1 eyeball.  The Aldis sight's image was not magnified.

Instead, it used the same optic principles as modern, parallax-free reflex sights for rifles.  The two engraved rings on an internal lens were always the same size and always appeared in the EXACT CENTER of the eyepiece, even if the pilot's head was off-axis to the sight.

I have wrestled with this problem for the CR32 - there are four choices.  First shot shows an attempt to copy the Aldis sight with two physical 3D rings placed inside the sight eyepiece.  Second shot shows the real world CR32 optical sight offset to one side so the gamer will use the back-up iron sights.  A third choice is to delete the optical sight entirely, and just use iron sights - this will improve pilot visibility when tracking a target.  The fourth choice is to fiddle with .ini's so glowing rings appear inside the eyepiece, like yubba's experiments.

Starting around 5:45 in the old propaganda film, you can see footage of CR32 gunsights: 

Now is the time for you guys to vote, as I am still working on the cockpit.  Yubba - sorry to hijack your thread. :biggrin:

post-39531-0-59761500-1491247826_thumb.jpg

post-39531-0-48680000-1491247833_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

Correct - the stock game Aldis sight is wrong.  Woodman's Early Aircraft Armament gives a detailed description of the Aldis sight.  Early aircraft were plagued by vibration which made aiming with a telescopic sight harder than aiming with the Mark 1 eyeball.  The Aldis sight's image was not magnified.

Instead, it used the same optic principles as modern, parallax-free reflex sights for rifles.  The two engraved rings on an internal lens were always the same size and always appeared in the EXACT CENTER of the eyepiece, even if the pilot's head was off-axis to the sight.

I have wrestled with this problem for the CR32 - there are four choices.  First shot shows an attempt to copy the Aldis sight with two physical 3D rings placed inside the sight eyepiece.  Second shot shows the real world CR32 optical sight offset to one side so the gamer will use the back-up iron sights.  A third choice is to delete the optical sight entirely, and just use iron sights - this will improve pilot visibility when tracking a target.  The fourth choice is to fiddle with .ini's so glowing rings appear inside the eyepiece, like yubba's experiments.

Starting around 5:45 in the old propaganda film, you can see footage of CR32 gunsights: 

Now is the time for you guys to vote, as I am still working on the cockpit.  Yubba - sorry to hijack your thread. :biggrin:

No worry ,,I enjoy the team work,, it's going all in the same direction,,, I am having trouble with no compass in the nieuports  the 24s and the 28 plus the snipe is 90 degrees off,,..I've flown all that Italian stuff in IL-2 1946 ,,plus  the American heavies the 17s and 24s online in some of the full realism servers over at hyperlobby nothing like virtual navigation having poor math skills,, had to buy a protractor to figure out courses to targets

Edited by yubba

No worry ,,I enjoy the team work,, it's going all in the same direction,,, I am having trouble with no compass in the nieuports  the 24s and the 28 plus the snipe is 90 degrees off

The Snipe compass is - probably - an .ini fix.  Dunno what can be done about the Nieuports because the LODs are based on 3D models that appear to lack a compass.  Any solution would require revising the original cockpit model, or making a new one.  Both would require permission from the guy who made the original model.

I vote for choice number 1  :biggrin: . I like the two circles inside the Aldis sight - looks very historical. If this can be done for the stock Aldis sight in FE2 - I see no need to remove the Aldis from the Se5a then. Glowing circles are nice but probably work better for WW2-era stuff and later, with those reflector and gyro gunsights developed in the 30s...then again, for golden age aircraft like Geezer's, glowing circles might work well too - don't know specifically when gunsights on aircraft abandoned WWI technology fully.

Happy flying,

Von S

The Snipe compass is - probably - an .ini fix.  Dunno what can be done about the Nieuports because the LODs are based on 3D models that appear to lack a compass.  Any solution would require revising the original cockpit model, or making a new one.  Both would require permission from the guy who made the original model.

thanks,, I thought that might be the trouble,,that confirms it ,, been toying with other pits haven't found one that fits ,, after tweaking the N28's FM it is a little scrapper ,, it snap rolls to the left like nobodies business with the guns being offset to the left,, but is slow to recover from a left bank now I know why ,, right turns only snap roll left for a quick 180

• Like 1