Sign in to follow this  
PhantomPhan

How to properly use dumb A2G munitions

Me being a fighter jock I never got around to learning how to use things like Cluster bombs Iron bombs and high drag ones like the Mk82 snake eye. So now does anyone have like training videos manuals and such for these kinds of munitions? Anything really would be helpful I can't hit most things at all and don't know where I'm going wrong. Takes a smart pilot to use dumb bombs it seems.

For reference I'm using F-4s and F-111s

Edited by PhantomPhan

Strap yourself into a F-15E depending what sim series you are flying and take it for a spin to get the feel of dropping dumb bombs with a state of the art bombsight,,I'm down in the basement working on SPF-1 I have a few threads on planting iron ,, f-4s and f-111s are in the relm of planes I put advance avionics on ,,, depending on what realism value you want I think we can fix you up.. this thread is for mostly guided muniions for the f-111,,http://combatace.com/topic/89821-f-111f-pave-tac-system/

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sectindex.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by yubba

For the Vietnam-era F-111's, low & and fast gets the job done. Try 650 KIAS, 600 ft AGL, drop when the target is in the bottom of the bombsight outer ring .

Edited by Platinum Rogue

Use an A-7C or above.

It has an A2G pipper / CCIP.

CL

Edited by charlielima

this is how the big boys do it

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

this is before I figured out the sight shown above

But you said you liked the F-4,, I did this bomb run,, on the run way,, level with no bomb sight,, locked on waypoint with wing leveler set speed set altitude,,and set release point using the target info box.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect  this is how to do the above,, Here is your free fall tables for. 555knts and mach 0.84   nautical miles are modeled in to the radar of your plane statued miles are displayed in your target information box ,and the higher you go the thinner the air so use your mach indicator , you confused yet..you pickle your bombs at indicated distance from target,with target info box, best results use radar altimeter 

1000ft =8sec=1.42 statued miles = 1.23nm

5000ft=17sec=3.02 statued miles = 2.62nm

10,000ft=24sec=4.26 statued miles= 3.7nm

20,000ft=35sec=6.2 statued miles = 5.4 nautical miles

Edited by yubba

Thanks! this is much better than my idea of aiming bellow the static piper

Good to see Andy Bush's article still available and in use.

Half the challenge is learning manual dive bombing although I don't remember CCIP being in the SF series until maybe WOE or later? cant remember...........so many a campaign were achieved manually in the A-4/F-100 etc.

If you ever go on to DCS some of the Jets there (F-5E/MiG-21bis ) include some techniques in their training missions...........and they also include some systems that help (manual reticule position)......although this doesn't make it any easier.......and it often comes down to something like dropping at a certain speed / altitude / dive angle / aim point with any wind correction.

But whatever just means a lot of practise...and ideally max settings campaign in the F-100A at least :)

Now that's what a hundred plus bombs hits a runway,from 30,000ft, looks like

Edited by yubba

Yubba - why do you insist on spamming the forums with this stuff over and over again?

The OP's question was answered quite well with the link to the SHQ article...

Yubba - why do you insist on spamming the forums with this stuff over and over again?

The OP's question was answered quite well with the link to the SHQ article...

Well that article was written in 2003,, and is no where up to date to what we have done to bring the Strike Fighters Series to a top notch bomber sim. These questions keep popping up and I answer them with my up most ability.. 

Edited by yubba

Takes a smart pilot to use dumb bombs it seems.

For reference I'm using F-4s and F-111s

Definately! That's what most old-fart pilots would tell you: Bombing is a black art rather than a science.

I usually aim in a pretty dumb way:

I fly/ dive the airplane directly at the target (so the target has no relative movement inside the reticle, which means I'm on a collision-couse with it) and I usually wait very long to make sure I'm minimizing my aiming-error.

Before release, I slightly pull up the nose to correct for the ballistic arc. This is where part of the art comes in.

I also either use CBUs (that'll do the job of correcting many aiming issues) or throw ripples of two or more.

Now, using this technique, I would kill myself IRL, flying through my own bomb's fragmentation pattern, but it works in-game.

It also is a good way of killing-yourself due to the autotrim-feature. By trying to establish a direct track towards the target, you're constantly applying forward pressure on the stick, which puts a lot nose-down trim into the airplane. I can't count how many times I've ended a shack with a smoking hole in the ground a couple of hundred yards away.

Make sure you deploy the speedbrakes in the dive and you're easing back on the throttle - this will control your speed-pickup during the dive and will give you a better (smaller) dive-recovery radius.

The more you train it, the better you get!

The F-4B/C was a pretty shitty dive-bomber IRL: It's heavy and has a high wing-loading when all bombed-up (requiring higher pullout-altitudes), which will make it pick up speed quickly. The reticle wasn't realy optimized for manual bombing, either.

Later models had better reticles/ gun-sights and had radar bombing modes introduced, helping a lot in delivering the bombs on-target.

The good thing about the F-4 is (depending on configuration) you're able to bring a lot of destructive material to the game, making up for any problems.

Try a different airplane for getting a hang on dive-bombing. An A-4 might be a good plane to start with, or even a prop (Corsair, A-1). Then graduate to faster aircraft.

The principles are the same (see Andy Bush's tutorial already linked to in a post above).

Edited by Toryu

Well that article was written in 2003,, and is no where up to date to what we have done to bring the Strike Fighters Series to a top notch bomber sim. These questions keep popping up and I answer them with my up most ability..

The article was written in 2003 but is still accurate and correct for how to bomb in aircraft that are equipped with reflective sights. Not everyone wants to add modern HUDs to aircraft that didn't have them.

• Like 1

Whether you like it or not, Yubba has put a lot of time & effort into his mods, then also taken the trouble to share his results. Using his radar edits you can emulate a radar bombing system somewhat accurately, although you still need to be accurate with your flight profile.

I don't agree with putting HUD's in 1960's-70's era planes but given the lack of any controllable bombing computer function in this game then a CCIP pipper is the next best thing. If (like me) you use it realistically, i.e. keeping the pipper in the combining glass, even CCIP demands you are disciplined enough to fly a correct dive bombing profile.

But after 15 years of practice I can usually get results using the principles in the SimHQ article, provided I have the luxury of time to set-up properly. Which is pretty realistic, in terms of the best results fighter jocks of the day were getting.