Madfox01

The official wild speculation release thread of 2017!11

Let's make a list of things that are in some phrase development

Feel free to add any thougts of what; variants, weapons, targeting pods, etc. might accompany them too.

I'll start;

• F- 14A. Hopefully it comes with Goose and Maverick.
  • F-18 Super Hornet.  Don't tell me ED didn't low key acquire the E's assests and it's team from CoreTex.
  • Typhoon.  I may have had a mad dream where Frooglesim talked about this having avionics based off of video footage from air force sims but I'm not sure.

Ok, your turn.

DCS will not likely be creating anything even remotely 5th gen.  Not even really 4th+, for that matter.  The only reason we have the A-10C is because of their military contract.

DCS will not likely be creating anything even remotely 5th gen.  Not even really 4th+, for that matter.  The only reason we have the A-10C is because of their military contract.

Well turns out it's for FSX and P3D.

That CoreTex designs company was working on an Super Hornet. So it could be possible that either ED or another developer bought the rights to use the assests and maybe we'll see that or another 4+/++ come soon. Having said that though, I'm not holding my breath.

After the initial wave of Ka-50 and A-10C, there has been a definite preference for older less automated designs in DCS World.

No other planes have avionics as complex as those two, and the only one on the table right now is the F/A-18C. There are tons of 3rd party ones in the works, but the only ones that seem close are all 70s-vintage or older.

The ironic part is DCS was a follow on from LOMAC--Lock On Modern Air Combat, yet with only a couple of exceptions the majority of modules present are what is politely termed "vintage", not modern. Many of them are still in service, yes, but are more reserve aircraft than front-line. Or front-line for nations with small under-equipped forces.

Pretty much the F-15C and A-10C are it, the rest are all either retired or have been upgraded past the versions we have for the most part. Those upgrades, of course, generally give more advanced cockpits with MFDs instead of steam gauges (like the A-10A to A-10C switch).

Therefore, while the F-14A fits in well, I'm not holding my breath for even an F-14D. Nor an F-15E, even though I was flying F-15Es on PCs before the real one entered service! It's been almost 30 years now, and I have to fly Strike Fighters for it or get my copy of Jane's F-15 to work with a modern PC.

You'd think with a highly computerized cockpit it would be easier to get them on a PC, actually.

I would love to see planes that are considered contemporary in the 21st century in DCS World, but at this point I'd be content just to have a late 20th century slate filled out.

It's funny, Jedi - I'm pretty much the opposite of you then.

I'd much rather have those vintage steam-gauge airplanes than all the computerized, hemet-visor *press a button and kill somebody* stuff.

Think of the WOV expansion-pack maps with most of the airplanes we have for SF2 (incl Mods) but all on DCS standards. That's what I'd spend a fortune on.

Now, the upcoming F-18C is a very late Lot as I see it, so while it won't be all the F-15E could offer, it can do a lot of stuff. Same with the AV-8B by Razbam. And the A-7D/E and the A-6E (guess we're talking 2020 there...).

I'm personally hot for the whole Naval Ops thingy. If it's really getting the immersion up, this will actually make me buy a whole new rig (think: gaming reactor) and go on a shopping-spree (X-Plane 11 looks sweet, too!).

The only thing missing then would be a proper naval map, other than this Black Sea or Strait of Hormuz puddles.

Think: A night in the barrel - you're coming back from some uneventful midnight-mission and you're generally low on fuel (darned low bring-back capability on those Legacy Hornets anyway!), so you fly through the new-moon shitty-weather ink-bottle, only to bolter and go around. Now you're coming in for a second time, and you bolder again. Now you got to find that tanker-guy you made fun of last time you saw him in the other squadron's ready-room and the bingo-field, which is more than 500nm away, reports torrential rain, a visibility of half a mile, ceilings of 200ft and has issued a general warning low-flying cows due to "breezy" winds...

I'm sorry - I'm getting carried away sometimes :airplane:

Thread update here beacuse I don't know how to edit the first comment

Ok I was right about there being a typhoon: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=184301

Also, MI 24p by belsimtek, Mirage F1 by aviodev, Tornado by Polychop sim (though there's some internal drama going on so idk), Leatherneck are doing the F111 (probably because they would  have the assests from the F 14) or the F4 (of which they did a poll about, which offended some easily shocked pussies).

Here's the thread with said pussies bitching because Leatherneck called trainers lame; https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=123336&page=57

That's really the reason, though--we have SF2: WOV with some really great 3rd party planes already. Same reason I don't really care about DCS WWII stuff, because I've got BoS and CloD and others that do that just fine.

SF2 can't handle the 21st century stuff properly because TK didn't care to go there. When it comes to making an F-15E or an F-22 or a Super Hornet or a Rafale, DCS is the only possibility.

So when I see planes being made for DCS that I've got in BoS or CloD or SF2 that are already great there, while the planes that only DCS could do right get ignored, I'm really annoyed. I don't need the P-51 or Bf109 in a dozen different games when I don't have the F-22 in even one, besides the one they tried to make for SF2 that honestly falls short due to the engine limitations. There it really is "press a button to get a kill" and that's not how it really is. That's why I want DCS to do it and show what that combat is really like.

That's just as wrong as thinking that NASCAR racing is just about going in circles while the F1 high-speed parade is "real" racing. Checkers and chess use the same gameboard, but they are different games with different strategies. You may prefer one to the other, but both are equally legitimate games.

• Like 1

An F-111 would be very cool, when flown to it's full potential (again, the maps are too small to really let the F-111 play it's ace-hand, but then again, who would want to fly 10hr missions, just because one can?).

The F-4 always comes with a serious issue: Which one would they model? There are virtually unlimited possibilities (just look up the possibilities and options in SF2).

People who wanted the F-4 in the first place are going to bitch because it's not their favourite one. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Capability-wise, they're probably going to do an F-4E TISEO ARN with some PGMs any sh1tloads of other options. That would give most people a good set to play with, even though it wouldn't really be too interesting to me (I'd prefer a Navy model). The F-4E had the largest share of any production model and was exported to the largest number of export-customers. Any other model doesn't make any sense, if you're only going to do one F-4 model (though Blacklion213's idea of geting out an F-4B/C together with a SEA-Map seems very intruiging as well).

Have Aviodev definately excluded a Mirage F1CT/CR for the future?

Mission-wise, those airplanes are more interesting than the spanish airplanes IMHO. For the same reason, a Jaguar (any Jaguar) and a Tchad/ Mali Map would be awesome. :biggrin:

So when I see planes being made for DCS that I've got in BoS or CloD or SF2 that are already great there, while the planes that only DCS could do right get ignored, I'm really annoyed. I don't need the P-51 or Bf109 in a dozen different games when I don't have the F-22 in even one

Wasn't there an F-22 in "Air Dominance Fighter"? Not really up to DCS-standards, though.

Couldn't agree more about the whole WW2-stuff. Not only is it getting boring to fight out the whole Spitfire vs Bf 109 thing again for the 50th time (not only is it repetetive as duck, it's also a boring airquake mission-setup). Also, the plane-set for the Normandy '44 is way off the mark. There was no 109K or a 190D flying above France.

The really interesting things, e.g. the "other" Korea (which would NOT concentrate on the same MiG vs Sabre airquake, but focus on Strike, Interdiction and CAS, some of which at night, which really gets your heartrate going in those 40s-50s airplanes) are covered way too little. Sadly, most money can be made by the "trim on a slider" dogfight-crowd, which could just as well go over to Warp Thunder. Thus, DCS will follow the money first and *maybe* get into the more intresting stuff later on.

Edited by Toryu

That's really the reason, though--we have SF2: WOV with some really great 3rd party planes already. Same reason I don't really care about DCS WWII stuff, because I've got BoS and CloD and others that do that just fine.

So when I see planes being made for DCS that I've got in BoS or CloD or SF2 that are already great there, while the planes that only DCS could do right get ignored, I'm really annoyed. I don't need the P-51 or Bf109 in a dozen different games when I don't have the F-22 in even one, besides the one they tried to make for SF2 that honestly falls short due to the engine limitations.

Definatley agree, I'm not interested in WWII era aviation but I'd take SF2 over DCS any day for that.

Problem is, other DCS owners outside us have probably never heard of TK and their works so they look to IL2/ ED for WWII stuff too. Naturally, ED and co. see the demand and drop their 4/5th gen developments for a quick buck.

It's so, so annoying. Hopefully after this year, all the WWII would be done and actuall craft that make use DCS's engine.

Edited by Madfox01

An F-111 would be very cool, when flown to it's full potential (again, the maps are too small to really let the F-111 play it's ace-hand, but then again, who would want to fly 10hr missions, just because one can?).

The F-4 always comes with a serious issue: Which one would they model? There are virtually unlimited possibilities (just look up the possibilities and options in SF2).

People who wanted the F-4 in the first place are going to bitch because it's not their favourite one. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Capability-wise, they're probably going to do an F-4E TISEO ARN with some PGMs any sh1tloads of other options. That would give most people a good set to play with, even though it wouldn't really be too interesting to me (I'd prefer a Navy model). The F-4E had the largest share of any production model and was exported to the largest number of export-customers. Any other model doesn't make any sense, if you're only going to do one F-4 model (though Blacklion213's idea of geting out an F-4B/C together with a SEA-Map seems very intruiging as well).

Have Aviodev definately excluded a Mirage F1CT/CR for the future?

Mission-wise, those airplanes are more interesting than the spanish airplanes IMHO. For the same reason, a Jaguar (any Jaguar) and a Tchad/ Mali Map would be awesome. :biggrin:

I've just been thinking about the F111.

The F14 was a new platform as the F111 fleet defence fighter wouldn't be agile. So the Tomcat got the Ardvarks guts. Are prototypes/ proposals going to be a thing in DCS now?

Everybody loves the F4E. You may prefer something else, but the E would please everybody. I'd like to see the Wild weasel but the E would keep me satified.

I could see a few varients being done though, I'd reckon this would happen if a dev started running out of ideas/ money.

I'm not a Mirage guy so I wasn't taking notice of what exactly was being said. But after playing the F1 on SF2 I'm eager to see it soon!

Well turns out it's for FSX and P3D.

That CoreTex designs company was working on an Super Hornet. So it could be possible that either ED or another developer bought the rights to use the assests and maybe we'll see that or another 4+/++ come soon. Having said that though, I'm not holding my breath.

The Coretex Design company broke some years ago and team dissolve (some build Polychop, others as me, continue on solitary) and we never get a functional ground radar or other complex system to a reach never to a stable "module" to release into DCS: W. The best options has other team intent first get a LM / F/A-18E legal license and build a stable team to get the SDK and 3rd party status by ED and start work from zero, not dream with a doom project with never reach a milestone.

The only "news" about a F-4E has a new AI 3d model, but ED, BSK or none 3rd party has "confirm" a F-4E develop, some talk about legal issues and license problems, similar to the A-4 (Veao intent get the license and the cost to get them was prohibitive, drop the project).

About the Aviodev F-1 not more news has deploy about them (I think actualy has "on Hold"). The Veao Thypoon has actuly a military contract to a DDT (Desktop Trainer) to the RAF, not detail news has get by VEAO (by the NDA military contract), but he planed build a Block IB, meanwhile, continue waiting to some news about them.

Edited by SilverDragon

I wouldnt hold my breath about a Typhoon from VEAO. Somehow they've suckered the RAF into a mil contract at the expense of their other customers. 

Aviodev, same boat. They're both way in over their heads, or ED just lets them deliver excuses instead of fulfilling their commitments. 

The F-14B appears to be the first out of the gate. Some M/P testing was spotted on the 1.5 server recently. 

So if I had to guess, we'll see the Harrier and Bombcat this year. The Hornet in 2017 is a huge maybe. 

The rest, I'd just like to get some proper updates instead of in-fighting and legal delays holding up progress.

• Like 2

B? I thought it was the F-14A?

They're doing both, but the B apparently is ahead.

I expect to see the Super Tucano very late this year too.

I expect to see the Super Tucano very late this year too.

Whos' doing that?

I wouldnt hold my breath about a Typhoon from VEAO. Somehow they've suckered the RAF into a mil contract at the expense of their other customers. 

Aviodev, same boat. They're both way in over their heads, or ED just lets them deliver excuses instead of fulfilling their commitments. 

The F-14B appears to be the first out of the gate. Some M/P testing was spotted on the 1.5 server recently. 

So if I had to guess, we'll see the Harrier and Bombcat this year. The Hornet in 2017 is a huge maybe. 

The rest, I'd just like to get some proper updates instead of in-fighting and legal delays holding up progress.

I wonder how much detail on the typhoon was offered  up to VEAO?

It's amusing to see that the Tomcat with less advanced aviaonics is harder to program. Haha!

Though, it's more like they have already got the A more close to completion and it's coinicdence that someone saw the B variant and assumed it's further ahead.

I lurk on the r/hoggit subreddit and someone posted a video of a game tester doing some bug testing on the Harrier, so that should be comming out pretty soon I hope.

Whos' doing that?

Heh heh, he said "doing".

Razbam is.

Heh heh, he said "doing".

Razbam is.

Heh, I did. hehe

That'll be something to get in in few years time.

Though, it's more like they have already got the A more close to completion and it's coinicdence that someone saw the B variant and assumed it's further ahead.

Ok, I guess we'll see. 

I've recently heard a lot of talk about HMCSs and HMDs.

Does anyone know what this is in reference to?

Helmet Mounted Cueing System.............assume for FA-18C

That'll be sweet.

I didn't even know the F/A 18 even had one.

It does make sense, but I never thought to think about it

It didn't when it entered service, it got it later as an upgrade, not sure exactly when.

It didn't when it entered service, it got it later as an upgrade, not sure exactly when.

Yeah. Tried to look up what other upgrades our lot 20 Hornet got alongside the HMD update, but I can't find anything.