MigBuster

Windows 10 S released

May be if interest if only to avoid getting stuck with the apps in the Windows store  :baby:

Note - Window Home/Pro is going no where - this is just so you don't get stuck with this version at home for whatever reason.

Windows 10 S is Microsoft's latest edition of Windows 10, but it's different in one particular way: It's locked to the Windows Store.

Windows 10 S is Microsoft's newest edition of Windows 10, with one specific change over previous, "normal" editions of Windows 10. This new edition of Windows 10 is locked to the Windows Store for all your apps and games, meaning if you want to install apps on Windows 10 S, you can only do so if said apps are available in the Store to begin with.

This new edition of Windows 10 is actually aimed primarily at schools and the education market. It's more secure, since the ability to run app from outside the Store isn't possible. Because of this, you should hopefully see a minor battery life enhancement too, as users won't be able to go and download battery intensive Win32 apps unless they're in the Store.

Yes, that does mean Windows 10 S can run your traditional Win32 programs as well as more modern UWP apps. Windows 10 S isn't a "lite" version of Windows 10. It's a full, standard version of Windows with the only difference being the fact that in order to install apps, they must come from the Windows Store.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1

Windows as we knew it is dead with the upswing of mobile devices. It looks as though they will phase out independent system and go to a cloud and terminal configuration before long. One thing is for sure the industry has changed forever and MS missed the boat entirely. Android and iOS are the ways of the future.

Personally, I would never fold to cloud and terminal s*...  Unless forced at gunpoint.

It's just makes everything vulnerable and most importantly, spyable and controllable.  Win 10 S is just that. They tell me what to use, what to install and where to store. I would feel like chained and put under microscope. Smartphone is a different thing. That is a phone with extras... but just a phone. All I do, I do on PC will always do.

I have experienced all this on a newly bought notebook of a friend, which was sold with "FreeDOS", but instead, I found Endless on it.  That is exactly that.... an "Android PC"  based on a limited Ubuntu source.  Good if you look at the notebook as a "Large mobile phone", with some video, browsing, skype, facebook... some office apps, games for imbeciles... 

To me it all feels like we are going back in time 30 years, when each platform had it's own software... Enterprise, Commodore whatever.  And again, we are divided - forced - to iOS, Android, Win10 Shit version, Endless-like linux clones... all use their own apps...  Killing the flexibility of PC completely as an universal platform if they turn them into large mobile phones...

• Like 2

As the current tendency, everything is made toward making you less and less responsible. I can see no need for this kind of things. Is it so hard to use a normal PC, running programs and do your things? Is everyone here going stupid to have an OS to tell you what to do or not to do? A PC that is on a cloud, is no more personal. Only a giant store of permanently unfinished apps that need 3 updates a weeks to fix a thing and bring double the bugs.

To me it makes sense if you look at the target audience............like Businesses, schools don't need kids pissing around with non secure OSs and would prefer the kids just did their work without having to pay for IT guys to constantly remove viruses etc that smug kids have put on. It probably wont be perfect but will definitely stop a lot of problems. Businesses have to do a similar thing to stop most of their employees wasting time & their money downloading free spyware with their free games etc.

Classic Windows 10 Home and pro likely wont change that much in coming years especially as non computer literates who just use Farcebook mostly move to Tablets & phones - the windows geeks will be using it.........and if you like combat flight sims like me you are stuck with Windows for now anyway (forever?). It still dominates the desktop & Laptop scene and the Surface is easily on par / better than anything Apple ever put out and is one of the very few laptop replacements (even though it is essentially a laptop with the keyboard on it )

Windows has a massive foothold in business, and a lot are tied in especially where massive investment went into unique corporate windows applications that you cannot simply replace without X millions and years....so it is going to be dominating there for decades.

The Apple version of Windows (MacOSX) still doesn't have that much more take up on the desktop / laptop as Linux does hilariously, Android / iOS are only mobile OS with Apps mostly geared to small screens and mobile use - they are not fit for typical work usage, in future they might release desktop versions with keyboard /mouse (or whatever) support sure - will see what happens but don't be surprised if Windows is still there.

I don't disagree with any of that. Personally I've been surprised just how much I don't need to get to a desktop with the release of Dex for Samsung 8. All my personal stuff is now mobile and secure behind two bio-metric locks. Short of someone killing me and injecting my severed body parts with saline, things should be good. :suicide:  

• Like 1