Sign in to follow this  
WallysWorld

Newbie question about wingman and strike missions

Having planed SF2V for about a month now and using the excellent Air & Ground War Expansion Pack, I was wondering what experience players tell their wingman to do when on a strike mission.

Do you go in yourself and bomb the main target without ordering your wingman to do anything? I've been targeting the main target and then telling my wingman to "Attack my Target" and most of the time he gets in there before I can drop my bombs and he gets the kill. I usually end up dropping my bombs too late to destroy the main target.

Maybe I should be just going in myself to hit the target and then only if I miss then I should give my wingman the order to "Attack my Target"?

Would like to know what others are doing with it comes to strike missions and who bombs the main target: you or your wingman?

Thanks.

I usually make an attack first, If I foul it up, then tell him to go for it. If I hit it, I tell him to go for a target of my choosing, typically a SAM radar, or whatever.  If I miss the primary, then I circle the AO to draw fire while he sets up for his attack, with luck he does better than I did. It is a good idea to check the roster before the mission starts to see if your wingman is any good, then use that info accordingly. 

Good luck.

Sounds like you got it,,, this is what it looks like ,, attack my target,,, at 30,000ft ,3 planes ,with 300 bombs

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by yubba

Depends on what ordinance I am carrying. If I'm toting laser or GPS guided bombs, I'll pick and nearby air defense system or maybe a truck parked too close to a building in the pushover and tell them to hit that. On larger LGBs (1000 LBS+) I normally only do single release, so if I somehow miss with the first, I can climb out and swing back around for another try. AI isn't too good with LGBs, and they randomly seem to release multiples even on small targets like AAA. However, I do find them useful and suppressing SAFires and allowing me to concentrate on the target.

I do the same if it's dumb iron and I have a CCIP, and select dual release. If I don't have a CCIP with dumb bombs, then I'm multiple release and I tell the wingman to hit the primary target with me at the pushover. If I have a second element, they can either suppress AAA if they are loaded for it or else they've been release to provide OCA at the initial.

For me usually No.2 attacks the maintarget, No.3 and 4 attacking air defenses nearby and myself is backup, in case No.2 doesn't hit.

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to read other people's opinions.

I just love SF2. I'm just sorry I missed so many years of playing it since it first was released.