Hey guys I was just wondering if you guys knew if your flights radar is on off off by default, i have trouble getting my flight to engage at ranges beyond 5ish miles, and if there is a way to get your wingman to engage at enemy aircraft in general, as you can only visually target at closer ranges.

I have never told my flight to turn on or off their radar. Whenever I tell them to engage, they have always done so at range, up to 20 miles (or more with Phoenix). I'm not sure why your flights have difficulty, maybe a modded flight folder (if that is what controls engagement range)?

Hey guys I was just wondering if you guys knew if your flights radar is on off off by default, i have trouble getting my flight to engage at ranges beyond 5ish miles, and if there is a way to get your wingman to engage at enemy aircraft in general, as you can only visually target at closer ranges.

You can actually lock up a target on radar at any range and set that as a target....then ask a flight or wingy to engage it.

Yes wingy radar likely on the whole time.............there might be a flight menu option to switch off..or I might be thinking of Falcon 4 in that regards.

I think they turn off radar when you do.  Get out in front of them in an aircraft with RWR and turn your radar off and on and see if you get anything showing up from behind you (I also may be thinking of another sim).  I have given my wingman and my element attack orders from 15 to 20 miles in Vietnam F-4's and they engaged with Sparrows.

I have recently discovered that the Radar on/off command does instruct the wingman to shutdown and re-activate their radar.

Conditions: I was flying an intercept mission with the F-14B Tomcat(TMF), radar on search.

Heading to waypoint 3 i found a bear on radar about 80nm, corrected heading for an intercept course, at 60nm i designated an AIM-54 to it and instructed No.2 to attack my target and he responded by releasing two AIM-54. 

I maintained TWS and was readjusting course to waypoint 4 where another bandit was discovered 1 oclock at 90 miles. 

Adjusted my course to intercept 2nd bandit. at 40nm No.2 scored the hit. And i let no.3 take the 2nd bandit at about 50nm who also shot 2 Aim 54s and connected one of them.

This confirms that the System allows for the player to assign hot targets to his flight and that the flight can attack designated targets with AHMs.

Heading out to way point 5 i activated the radar on/off command and the AI confirmed.

Found the main target about 40nm at a bit to the left of our noses. there were 4 on radar and i assigned 2 AIM 54 and asked No 2 to engage hoping he will immediately release two AIM 54s i waited until were about 30 nm and designated all my 54s to each bandit and asked both No.2 and No.3 to engage. 

No.2 and No.3 Didn't release their AHM and instead opted come in and use their AIM-9s. 

We are now in pursuit with the Tu-22s poised to drop their ASM on our fleet. Then i remembered the Radar On/Off command i gave. 

Hit the command and no.2 promptly confirmed and right after called a Fox 3. Instructed No.3 to attack and he also called for Fox 3. 

With No.2 Killing one of the Tu-22 with a winder and No.3 getting a hit with his remaining Aim-54s, I launched two Aim 54 bandit and each a sparrow for good measure.

What i can deduce that the Wingmen does change the state of their radar using the command but at which state they are i would probably refer to Czech6 answer.

My Radar was in an active state when i gave the first command and they turned off their radar.

Edited by saisran